News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Great Britain simulation in Simutrans Experimental

Started by Carl, May 25, 2011, 03:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl

After a quiet few Simutrans months, I've returned to the Great Britain map to make some updates - partly in the light of timetable changes.

Here's the new savegame:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61716/GBmap-Jan15.rar

Timetable changes:

• New SouthEastern highspeed timetable, including new circular services via Dover, Deal and Margate (and vice versa)
  • Rearranged SouthEastern mainline timetables, meaning no more train splitting at Ashford or Faversham. While there are a few splits still in the working timetable, there are several off-peak hours without such a split - so I've picked those to simulate.
  • Thameslink changes as the line from Blackfriars to London Bridge closes for redevelopment. Trains from Blackfriars to East Croydon now go via Elephant and Castle, and there is a new semi-fast service from London Bridge to Brighton.
Additionally, I've made cosmetic improvements to much of Kent and Sussex - repainting all the tracks with the 'new' versions I made a year or so ago. Since the South East was the earliest area I made on this map, it had missed out on this up to now. Oh, and the Class 395 and Class 319 trains have been repainted.

There are also a couple of extra bus routes (to Hayling Island, and from Oxford to Aylesbury). From now on most of my work will be in adding bus routes and making cosmetic improvements.

There are also some changes to the Midland Mainline timetable, to reflect the new 125mph running on some sections, which I haven't yet added.

Junna

You could always do a network as of 1951 greatest extent network. Though I suppose that'd be without accurate timetabling. It would be wonderfully dense.

Carl

Indeed, that would be quite something! Although given the lack of the comparable required information about historical railways, it may be the work of a different lifetime...

jamespetts

Was 1951 the maximum extent? I thought that a fair bit closed in the 1920s and 1930s. I should have imagined that the maximum extent would have been just before the first world war.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

kierongreen

Earlier railways would be a nightmare to try and simulate as clockface timetables were pretty much non-existent. On the plus side the actual number of trains running might not be much different, as despite there being more route miles, many lines has a much less frequent service than they do now.

jamespetts

Quote from: kierongreen on January 02, 2015, 12:50:30 AM
Earlier railways would be a nightmare to try and simulate as clockface timetables were pretty much non-existent. On the plus side the actual number of trains running might not be much different, as despite there being more route miles, many lines has a much less frequent service than they do now.

Another problem with earlier railways is likely to be their propensity to change locomotives/carriages/wagons in a train with great regularity, which is much more rare now.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Junna

Well, I haven't seen any complete network maps for anything older than 1951. Are there any?

jamespetts

I cannot immediately find any online, but there are plenty of books of old RCH atlases, such as this one from 1904.

jamespetts

123abc

555, 79236 - broken road
1201, 7828 - broken road
Traffic Jam at York after some time in the latest update
2597, 4244 - broken rails
I will post more errors when I see them!

123abc

Rail line under Glasgow is blocked
Rail line at Haymarket is blocked

123abc

Preston is blocked up
Manschester "         "
Crewe           "         "
York             "         "
Stafford        "         "

EDIT: Stafford is NOT blocked up, the blockup at Crewe caused it!

123abc

Liverpool
Wakefield
Leeds
Cardiff
Edinburg - No trains can enter from the north side!

Carl

I'd be surprised if there's more than a couple of route causes there - the East Coast Main Line has caused me problems, though only really at Doncaster (which has knock on effects everywhere). Crewe used to caused trouble in the WCML. I'll check this out later.

For info, how long did you run the map for,and what version are you using?

123abc

A while and the latest version I could find, 11.35

Combuijs

Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

123abc

Quote from: Combuijs on January 16, 2015, 09:55:55 AM
So, looks like an accurate simulation then...
I wouldn't have a clue since I don't live in England but the trains don't even move!

123abc

DrSuperGood

Remember to shutdown all trains in late December and Early January due to bad weather and incompetents!

Last year people leaving London after Christmas were greeted with lovely closed stations and lines despite having booked expensive tickets ages in advance.

Carl

I am, but I've been distracted by other things recently. Sorry for not replying sooner - I only just saw your most recent two posts.

Carl

I ran the game for a fairly long time and came across problems only at Cardiff and Carlisle. These are both fixed in this version:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61716/uk2015.rar

I also had a problem in Gloucester which I believe was a consequence of the Cardiff block. Let me know if you find Gloucester playing up again. It's likely that the Gloucester issue could have had wide-ranging effects since it's near the CrossCountry route. Any problem there will eventually infect Birmingham New Street, and once that falls, the realm falls.

If you find further problems, it's useful to track them down as close to source as possible - even to the exact train which initially gets stuck. This makes it simpler to fix problems.

123abc

123abc

Ok, Edinburgh is blocked again but I think it's train ID 2074 blocking it all up! And I think it's also 2069 and 2060 blocking each other!

Carl

Thanks - I'll check that out and see what I find. I don't think I've ever seen a problem at Edinburgh before so I'm intrigued to see what this could be! :)

Carl

I wasn't able to reproduce a problem at Edinburgh (although you weren't the only one to report it, 123abc), but I did find a problematic timing point on the two-hourly westbound XC (Glasgow) service, so I've removed that. Also I noticed that the same service was travelling to Glasgow via Shotts instead of via Carstairs, so I rectified that too. Finally, I squashed a blockage at Carlisle.

New savegame download link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61716/uk2015-2.rar

Let me know if there's still trouble north of the border.