News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Great Britain simulation in Simutrans Experimental

Started by Carl, May 25, 2011, 03:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taurus

In the version I have there is also a blockade at the ECML exit of Edinburgh. Also, have you considered adding freight? Or new lines such as the Borders Railway? Thanks a lot though for letting me use your map to rebuild it in pak192.comic.

NoMorePacers

The full GB map is mostly a finished project now, and is available 'as is'. Carl didn't add freight because his computer could only just about manage the passenger services, and freight would kill the CPU. If you can get the information for the Borders Railway, and the timetables, then you can add it. Also, do you have a link for pak.192 experimental. Carl was working on a London map, but i'm not sure he still is. His little time has been concentrated on the Balkans and S.E. Europe map.

Taurus

I am building it in Standart Simutrans and the pakset is pretty much just the standart full height one with the british addons.

123abc

Quote from: Sirdagen on May 01, 2016, 06:04:36 PM
So I managed to install it and I've been running the savefile for a while, and it's fascinating. However I did actually managed to come across a blockage in Sheffield. The southern entrance to the station was completely clogged up and it seemed that it was the Mars 2004 train from London St Pancras that caused it.
I think I found that one as well

Carl

I remember last time I checked this out I couldn't reproduce the Edinburgh problem, but I'll try again.

This map is pretty much a finished entity as NoMorePacers said. I tend to binge on Simutrans for a couple of weeks every 3 months or so, with either London, Balkans or USA NE maps receiving the attention.

Carl

I have a short memory and haven't touched the London map since I posted that, but I will get around to it :D

NoMorePacers

Does the London map get built when you have done the rolling stock one carridge-per-tile?
Also, how do you make the trains?

Carl

Edit 2: Found and fixed a blockage at Leeds on the full UK map. No link yet as Manchester has its own problems...

The Leeds issue was caused by using a mixture of HSTs and Voyagers on the CrossCountry route. The HSTs can only just keep the timetable, and on one occasion a HST was missing its departure time and waiting for two hours at Leeds, causing chaos. I've solved this by bumping up the XC HST power output a bit (a fudge, for sure), which should make its timekeeping less marginal. This might have consequences elsewhere but I'm hoping not. Let me know if you find anything else.

NoMorePacers: I draw the one-carriage-per-tile trains as required - when I start to build a line that needs particular rolling stock, that's when I'll draw it.

I'm making these ones by adapting the sprites I made for the big UK map. As for how I got started in the first place - I looked at existing source files to see how people approached drawing trains, and gradually adapted this into my own drawings. It takes a while to get used to making things look realistic and when I look back over my maps, I can certainly see how I've improved on my initial poor attempts! :)

Sirdagen

NoMorePacers

I haven't, but the 400% waiting times have caused jams. The key suspects for me are the through platforms at Manchester Piccadilly, and Portsmouth Harbour. At Piccadilly, it's usually the ATW services at the Mayfield Loop, where a train waiting for a loop slot is waiting for another train to exit the loop, which on one point, caused delays going as far back as Marsden. Portsmouth Harbour is due to the fact that it only has three platforms (I think it has 4 or 5, but those extra 1or 2 platforms are probably only used at peak times), and two trains are scheduled to be at the same platform at the same time. This caused backups as far as Basingstoke and Guildford. But it's a very authentic showing of real life, delays and all!

Carl

Yes, blockages are almost always caused by the wait-for-400%-load instruction, which is necessary to timetable a route. Thanks for the tips on where to look.

NoMorePacers

Imagine doing a map where the Beeching II cuts happened.

Carl

New savegame:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61716/UK2016.rar

I've run the game for 20 in-game hours and not experienced any new blockages. This hopefully means that problems at Portsmouth, Sheffield, Manchester and Edinburgh were by-products of problems that are now fixed.

If you do find a new blockage, some useful information to help me track it down is as follows. Don't worry if you can't be bothered - this is just for the keen :)

• Where and when (in-game-clock) did you notice it?
  • How severe (how many trains blocked) was it when you found it?
  • Has it had a knock on effect nearby?
These last two questions help to detect whether you've found the source of the blockage or just a downstream effect. If you find a blockage and have the inclination, you can load up the file again and see if you can spot the first train to cause a problem - that's what I need to track down in order to fix it.

Carl

Quote from: Lewis on May 07, 2016, 03:07:17 PM
And my HST?  ;)

Lewis - here's the East Coast HST in the grey livery, as requested! There's a dat, png and a pak compiled with the Experimental makeobj. Sorry it took so long!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61716/hstec.rar

Lewis

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Thank's, Today I dont think im going out, Simutrans all day!!!

mspljd1990

This is incredible. You've clearly put a lot of time and effort into it and have a clear attention to detail. I'm actually in awe of how good this is.

I might add some modifications to the savegame I have - no disrespect to you, because you have done a stellar job. Adding the new Virgin East Coast trains, building the new Apperley Bridge and Kirkstall Forge stations, and perhaps adding aircraft to airports - just for eye candy.

Great stuff mate! :)

Carl

Thanks for that! The file is definitely ripe for some additions as it mostly reflects the situation in 2014. There are new liveries all over the place. I did think about adding some eye candy planes but it was something I never got around to doing.

NoMorePacers

In case you're interested, here:
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=11781.msg152434#new]
is a Northern-liveried 319, for use on the Liverpool-Manchester via Chat Moss, and the newly-electrified Liverpool-Wigan/Preston/Blackpool North (When the wires go up that far).

mspljd1990

Quote from: Carl on July 09, 2016, 09:12:04 AM
Thanks for that! The file is definitely ripe for some additions as it mostly reflects the situation in 2014. There are new liveries all over the place. I did think about adding some eye candy planes but it was something I never got around to doing.

No problem, been enjoying checking out a lot of the routes!

Do you know which aircraft sets would work with pak.ngb?

Carl

Any pak.64 ones should work.

NoMorePacers - I had seen those - nice work. I probably won't update the whole map with new stuff because lots of liveries and timetables are changing all the time. It's quite a burden to keep updating that. More likely that I would repeat the project (or something like it) in a few years time with better hardware, updated versions of Simutrans, etc.

NoMorePacers

That will represent a whole new challenge, especially with 12.0 of Experimental, which could possibly be out by then. You'll have to think about signal boxes as well, which will be a whole new challenge.

Carl

Yes. I'm not really looking forward to that. Still, it won't be anytime soon. With other projects on the go and real life taking up almost all of my time, it'll be some time before I get around to it!

jamespetts

The requirement to have signalboxes is pakset dependant in the forthcoming release, so continuing to use this pakset would be possible without them.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Carl

Thanks for the info James. I haven't looked into what it would entail yet - it may add an interesting new dimension!

Llandudno

Sorry to be a pain, but I've noticed a new block - this time in Portsmouth (I think it's Southsea). When I simulated a game year, one of the trains refused to depart and created a tailback all the way to Petersfield on the PDL (I can'r remember the other queues). Could this be fixed if you're sill working on this?

Carl

Sure, I will take a look.

That said - I think I've been unable to reproduce some blocks that others have found in the past, including at Portsmouth. If you are able to identify the root cause, and when it occurs, that would be very helpful in fixing it.

fam621

The London lines out of Liverpool Street are taken over by TFL. The line to Shenfield is operated by TFL (Cross)Rail, the other lines towards Chingford, Chesnut via Seven Sisters and Enfield Town are operated by London Overground.

Carl

Thanks fam621. I'm not updating the full UK map now since things are changing all the time - both liveries and timetables. It's more fun to build new stuff than be constantly updating old stuff. So the UK map reflects the situation from 2014.

I am building a bigger-scale map of London, though, which has more up to date services. I was just coming here to post an updated version of that, so here it is:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61716/LondonJul16.rar

Since I last posted about this, I've added the C2C Southend lines, the rest of the Great Eastern Main Line, the Great Northern Lines, and the Piccadilly Line. There are still some gaps and issues to iron out. The Northern Line will be next.

You'll notice that the Shenfield/Chingford/etc lines are still Greater Anglia on here too. That's because I built that part of the map before the lines went over to LO. But I will change those in due course...

fam621

Ok Carl.

There's trains missing, can I have them in a pack please? :)

fam621

I've got the pak.ngb pack but its just the long trains I need, Carl.

Could it be possible if you can make a new updated GB map using these trains please? :)

Carl

The link above has all the files you need to open the LondonJul16.sve. The pak.ngb folder in there is updated with all the long trains and you'll need to copy it over what you have already.

I'm sticking with the London map for now (alongside my other projects) but I might consider doing the UK again sometime in the future. I wouldn't be able to use the long versions of the trains without hugely increasing the size of the map, though.

NoMorePacers

Sorry to be a pain, but the link seems to be broken.