News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Great Britain simulation in Simutrans Experimental

Started by Carl, May 25, 2011, 03:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fam621

Carl, that .txt file I have on my last post. Can you convert it into a .dat file and draw the class 800 up from the class 395 please?

Carl

You can make it a dat by changing the file extension in Windows. Check out Method 2 here:
http://www.wikihow.com/Change-a-File-Extension

I suggest trying to create the Class 800 images yourself. The PNG file you need is in the sources download I posted above. Then all you need to do is open it in an image editor and change the colours. It'll be hard at first, but it's a good skill to learn.

Remember that we are all doing this as a hobby, and have limited time, so we will always be focusing on the things that we ourselves are interested in!

NoMorePacers

Like I, for example, do enjoy Simutrans very much and do enjoy playing and designing for it. I do maintain a healthy life outside of Simutrans, last month I was into Microsoft Train Simulator, and I do go outside a lot as well.

Lewis

Well as everyone is on about the london map. ive created a class 308 for the old map. its an almost direct reskin of the class 422, with modifications to the front end.

wiki link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_308

fam621

Lewis, that is great! But can you do a class 800 for me please? .pak file. :)

Lewis

Class 800 GWR
Class 185 in new livery
Class 377 in FCC livery
Class 387
Class 43 in VTold
Class 321 in WYPTE
Valley line pak

fam621

:D
Edit 1: There's blockages in the Birmingham and Manchester areas.

fam621

There's blockages in the North-Western and Birmingham area's.

Edit 1: It has severe affect on the whole area, It pops up at a random time.

Carl

Thanks fam621. I will have another look for blockages, but here's what I said last time on this - those with better CPUs than mine may be in a better position to fast-forward to find these

QuoteIf you do find a new blockage, some useful information to help me track it down is as follows. Don't worry if you can't be bothered - this is just for the keen   :)

• Where and when (in-game-clock) did you notice it?
    How severe (how many trains blocked) was it when you found it?
    Has it had a knock on effect nearby?

These last two questions help to detect whether you've found the source of the blockage or just a downstream effect. If you find a blockage and have the inclination, you can load up the file again and see if you can spot the first train to cause a problem - that's what I need to track down in order to fix it.

mspljd1990

Are there any .pak sets for the Gatwick Express and Grand Central? Also class 350 TPE?

Carl

The GX 442 should be in the British Trains download here:
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=11781

And the new red Class 387s are in the London map, latest download here:
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=7367.msg153251#msg153251

But those are large one-coach-per-tile trains.

I don't think I've done Grand Central or TPE 350s.

mspljd1990

Quote from: Carl on August 18, 2016, 06:21:56 PM
The GX 442 should be in the British Trains download here:
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=11781

And the new red Class 387s are in the London map, latest download here:
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=7367.msg153251#msg153251

But those are large one-coach-per-tile trains.

I don't think I've done Grand Central or TPE 350s.

Alright, downloaded, cheers!

Lewis

grand central for the british or london map?

QuoteAre there any .pak sets for the Gatwick Express and Grand Central? Also class 350 TPE?

Ive done a Grand Central for the British map

fam621

Can I have a updated version of the UK map please. NOT THE LONDON ONE! :)

mspljd1990

Quote from: Lewis on August 18, 2016, 07:36:21 PM
grand central for the british or london map?

Ive done a Grand Central for the British map

British map, got a link? Also is there a Virgin East Coast for the British map too?

Quote from: fam621 on August 18, 2016, 08:16:24 PM
Can I have a updated version of the UK map please. NOT THE LONDON ONE! :)

I'm wanting to build Apperley Bridge and Kirkstall Forge stations in the savegame, but for some reason it won't let me build new stations on already built track. Carl, I know you're now focussing on the London map, but would it at all be possible for you to update the UK map savegame with these two stations? :)

Carl

The London map has the Virgin Class 91 - not the HST though.

Quote from: fam621 on August 18, 2016, 08:16:24 PM
Can I have a updated version of the UK map please. NOT THE LONDON ONE! ☺

The British map isn't being updated any more, as explained above. The timetables and liveries etc will stay as they are. I'll fix any issues that we can identify with it, though.

QuoteI'm wanting to build Apperley Bridge and Kirkstall Forge stations in the savegame, but for some reason it won't let me build new stations on already built track. Carl, I know you're now focussing on the London map, but would it at all be possible for you to update the UK map savegame with these two stations? :)

You need to change to the "public player" to add stations to those tracks as that's who owns the tracks. Press shift+P to change players and it should let you build the stations.

mspljd1990

Quote from: Carl on August 18, 2016, 08:25:22 PM
The London map has the Virgin Class 91 - not the HST though.

The British map isn't being updated any more, as explained above. The timetables and liveries etc will stay as they are. I'll fix any issues that we can identify with it, though.

You need to change to the "public player" to add stations to those tracks as that's who owns the tracks. Press shift+P to change players and it should let you build the stations.

Ah yes, that's done the trick - once again, thanks a lot! :D

Lewis

QuoteBritish map, got a link? Also is there a Virgin East Coast for the British map too?

The Virgin is a W.I.P but here is a Grand Central class 180

NoMorePacers

Carl, just a reminder, don't forget to swap the Charing Cross and Cannon Street services at London Bridge, because I think the Charing Cross services have started stopping there, and the Cannon Street services are bypassing it now.

Carl

Thanks for the reminder - I'll check out how those have changed.

I should be able to upload the finished London map pretty soon. I've finished the Metropolitan line and am working on the last corner - the West Coast main line.

fam621

Quote from: Lewis on August 19, 2016, 12:46:20 PM

The Virgin is a W.I.P but here is a Grand Central class 180
Lewis, can you also do a Virgin Class 800/801, Transpennine Express/GWR Class 802 please. :)

NoMorePacers

Quote from: Carl on August 28, 2016, 12:43:27 PM
Thanks for the reminder - I'll check out how those have changed.

I should be able to upload the finished London map pretty soon. I've finished the Metropolitan line and am working on the last corner - the West Coast main line.
What will you be doing after all the lines are finished?

Carl

Good question! I think filling in proper cities/roads/etc would be too much of an undertaking for this map. I don't think it it would be possible to do a good enough job.

It would be possible in theory to do all the bus lines - but I think that would be too much trouble for relatively little gain.

Any ideas about other ways to develop it?

Lewis

QuoteLewis, can you also do a Virgin Class 800/801, Transpennine Express/GWR Class 802 please. :)

I posted the GWR class 802 on August 10, 2016 page 16. the TPE one is just being finished.

NoMorePacers

Quote from: Carl on August 29, 2016, 06:28:36 PM
Good question! I think filling in proper cities/roads/etc would be too much of an undertaking for this map. I don't think it it would be possible to do a good enough job.

It would be possible in theory to do all the bus lines - but I think that would be too much trouble for relatively little gain.

Any ideas about other ways to develop it?
You said a few pages back that you would put freight trains soonTM. Unless you've changed your mind on that. And I saw the New York City map that you did a few years ago. You used attractions shaped as buildings to populate that; but New York is different to London. While New York is nicely split up into three islands so you can do none, one, two, or all three if so desired. London is a different story. Not only have you just got the Thames making a north/south split, London has a much greater geographical area, and as the map covers the surrounding areas, is an extremely large map, making it extremely difficult to populate, unless you used Clapham Junction-sized buildings, which would be extremely unrealistic and effectively undermine the original goal, which was to create the London area as accurately as possible. You could just bump up the passenger factor to it's highest level , put a ridiculous amount of trains on it, and watch chaos unfold. Also is there anything I could do for you? I mean graphics-wise. I can draw stuff out and write the appropriate files, just need you to compile, tweak it if you want and use it in-game. If you are planning on putting freight trains in, then send me a list of what you need doing, say what you'll be doing, and I'll do the rest.

fam621

Erm, Lewis the class 802 has more horsepower than a class 800....

Carl

Ah yes, freight! The thing I always intend to do and never get around to doing. If I can find some freight routes that are contained entirely in the area of the map then I might add them. (The boundaries are roughly Slough-Guildford-Gatwick-Tunbridge Wells-Ashford-Sittingbourne-Southend-Chelmsford-Broxbourne-Hatfield-St Albans-Berkhamsted-Amersham). For instance this one. My problem would be - how to find out what kinds of locomotives/stock run on these services? I guess for Purley Foster Yeoman services that's quite easy to answer. But not always.

For the buildings - the attractions-as-buildings idea would be possible. Ultimately I think it would be too fiddly and the outcome wouldn't be as good as I'd like. The problem is that I play Simutrans because I like transport simulators - if I wanted to spend all day placing buildings I'd be playing a different game. The thousands of buildings on the London part of the UK map are about the limit of the busywork I can tolerate, I think.

NoMorePacers

How about this for freight. 66s/70s for Freightliner diesels, 59s/60s/66s for DB Schenker diesels, 20s/37s/47s/66s for DRS, and 59s for Foster Yeoman. Then use 86s/90s for Freightliner electrics, and 90s/92s for DB Schenker electrics. For stock, if it's going to/ coming from Felixstowe, Seaforth Dock, Southampton, Thamesport, Tilbury, Birch Coppice, Daventry, Dollands Moor, Telford, Trafford Park, Wakefield or Wembley, use containers and Freightliner locos (if it uses electric through London use 86s/90s. If not 66s/70s). If it's coming from a coal mine and it goes to a power station and it passes through the map then put it in with MGRs and DBS diesels. Don't think anything involving oil/petrol/chemicals goes through the map (could be wrong). Constuction trains run to places where construction is going on. Supermarket trains do run in parts of the map (specifically Tesco trains to Dagenham from Dollands Moor operated by Stobart Rail (using DRS locos in Britain) using containers). Nuclear flask services run, from various power stations to various plants using DRS locos (specifically 20s/37s but sometimes 47s) and FNAs. Steel runs through the map from Scunthorpe to France. Use 92s and flatbeds. Cars are transported, Specifically Fords from Dagenham to Halewood with DBS locos. 90s will suffice with Cartics. Binliners run from Northolt, Cricklewood, Dagenham and Hillingdon to the landfill site at Calvert (north of Aylesbury). Trains also run from Brentford to Appleford in Oxfordshire and Hendon to Stewartby. The Calvert trains and the one from Brentford are operated with DBS diesels, and the Hendon one is run with Freightliner diesels. All of them use containers. Thats the freight that runs on the map, I believe.

Carl

That's very comprehensive - thank you!

Let me look into this further and see what would be most interesting/feasible to add. I'm particularly keen to add lines on well-used freight routes like the NLL, and on non-passenger routes like Grain.

NoMorePacers

What would you consider doing for freight? And also, what type of timetable are you trying to simulate? Off-peak, like the UK map, peak, or a mixing of the two? And, why not make these graphics that you (and others) into a seperate branch of pak.64. pak.64 britain sound good? Just asking.

Lewis

Quotewhy not make these graphics that you (and others) into a seperate branch of pak.64. pak.64 britain sound good? Just asking.

I agree with this

Carl

All good questions, thanks.

Freight is obviously more irregular than passenger service. I would pick services that run alongside passenger trains in the off peak, to be sure that they fit with the off peak timetable elsewhere on the map. I'd probably do something to ensure that they only run every few hours. The London map has a 1-hour-long month, but there are things I can do to get around that for freight scheduling.

On the pak.64-britain idea - it's not a bad idea! It would take a lot of work. It would probably mean painting a lot of new trains for historical times (plus new liveries). It might also mean some economic balancing, unless it was a pakset just designed for freeplay. The ways and buildings would also require attention. At the moment I use a lot of material that belongs to other people. I've been accumulating it over 6 years and I don't know the sources in all cases. All this is to say that - while it's a great idea and I may work on it in the longer term - it's not an easy or short-term thing.

For the moment we have the British trains addon for pak 64, and the pak.ngb folder in the downloads I provide can be used as a custom pakset for pak.64. Those provide quite a lot to go on, at least.

NoMorePacers

I understand your points there. It would take a long time and a lot of work to do a separate pakset. In the long term though, it would benefit the community. And nothing starts out fast - pak128.Britain was originally just British addons for pak128, which developed into the pakset it is today. And Simutrans Experimental itself started out as a mere patch to Standard - in fact, if you go back to jamespetts' earliest posts, he was asking questions about expansion. Now look at Experimental. Practically a game in its own right! So, it takes time, but it will hopefully get there in the end.