News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Erratic Transportation of goods

Started by Colin, July 09, 2011, 09:02:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin

Hi Guy's, I have this small but annoying problem. I set up a transportation line from a factory to a consumer, it all works fine for awhile, then even though the factory is producing, or has produced maximum production, transportation stops as if I'm using the just in time switch. (I'm not) Sometimes if I cross connect factories/consumers that are allready connected, the transports will load again, but not always.
Im using PAK128, r4692, with the nightly exe released on the 2nd July.
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Thought for the day

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

DirrrtyDirk

Are you sure you successfully deactivated just-in-time? After all, there are up to 3 different simuconf.tab files in simutrans, and it's one of those settings, that might only affect new games (=started after the setting's changes)...
However, if you are 100% sure that this setting is actually switched off in your game, I think the devs will probably need the savegame file to check this error out.

Oh and a little nitpicking: r4692 is today's (July 9th) brand new nightly, it's not from July 2nd. And pak128 nightlies are r515 (nightly server) or r516 (sources)  ;)

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Colin

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on July 09, 2011, 09:54:54 AM
Are you sure you successfully deactivated just-in-time? After all, there are up to 3 different simuconf.tab files in simutrans, and it's one of those settings, that might only affect new games (=started after the setting's changes)...
However, if you are 100% sure that this setting is actually switched off in your game, I think the devs will probably need the savegame file to check this error out.

Oh and a little nitpicking: r4692 is today's (July 9th) brand new nightly, it's not from July 2nd. And pak128 nightlies are r515 (nightly server) or r516 (sources)  ;)
Hi Dirrk,

There are THREE now???  I know of two, where's the third? I have it definitely turned of in the one under Simutrans/Config and the one under PAK128/Config.

Yeah sorry about the nightly. I actually had just installed it while I was typing my post. So it was the version from the 2nd July that I was having a problem with. I haven't tried the yesterdays yet.
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Thought for the day

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

DirrrtyDirk

Hi Colin!
I said "up to three" ;). So, don't worry: two is standard. But one can have a third one with individual settings, overwriting those settings in the two you mentioned (so you can always keep your personal preferences, even when you update the config files of simutrans and the pak-sets). But IIRC the third one will only exist if you decide to create it manually.

The config files are read by simutrans in a certain order, each one overruling the settings of the previously read. So for changes to take effect, you only need to change the last file in that chain.

1. simutrans/config
2. simutrans/pak-set/config
(3. my documents/simutrans/config)

So, if you switched it off in the config files before you even created/generated your map, and the described behaviour appears, this might be a real bug. But as I said: I'm not sure something can be done about it without a savegame for the Devs to watch and debug...

Cheers

Dirk

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Colin

Hi Dirrk,

I have WIN7 Ultimate, but I cant find anything related to Simutrans other than SVE's in the several My Documents folders.

The Factories etc didn't start to build until all my cities were built and not until some of them reached 30000 population, so the game has been saved lots of times and the Just in Time switch was off from the start. I always turn it off, maybe I should try turning it on??

Thought for the day

prissi

If you have somehow started this game with just_in_time (or loaded an old game with just_in_time set before starting this game) then the setting will prevail. But you can go the "new game" and in the extended setting you find the "just_in_time" switch. Switch it off, , close the new world dialoge and save your game. It should be gone.

Colin

Quote from: prissi on July 11, 2011, 09:07:43 AM
If you have somehow started this game with just_in_time (or loaded an old game with just_in_time set before starting this game) then the setting will prevail. But you can go the "new game" and in the extended setting you find the "just_in_time" switch. Switch it off, , close the new world dialoge and save your game. It should be gone.

Hi Prissi, I've just checked that it is turned off if '0' is off. The funny thing is, it doesn't happen with all transport and it's very random. I've just had one transport that wouldn't load until I sent it empty to the receiving station, then, when it returned to the factory it loaded and is currently still working.

It seems this is just an odd thing, I'm not too worried because the game is so far advanced it's not worth trying to do something that might crash it altogether. THe SVE is 7.314KB so I don't think I will post it, and anyway, it might not happen with what I send, a bit like going to the dentist with the toothache. Thanks for your help though. Best Regards, Colin

Thought for the day