News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Complete Shinkansen train set (WiP)

Started by DirrrtyDirk, June 18, 2011, 10:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirrrtyDirk

Some may remember a few of my Shinkansen trains from the old forum (now the archives).

Of course I haven't worked continously on this set all the time during the last years, but I managed to create some more trains once in a while and/or improve some of the "old" ones (some still my favorites to this day). And by now, there are actually not all that many missing, so I hope I will have the full set ready in reasonable time (which can still be measured in weeks or maybe months). And maybe some people never saw my work back then and get interested now...  ;)

Status (will be updated):

(links point to wikipedia, there is no download yet)

• 0 Series ... Done (original and JR West "Kodama" livery)
  • 100 series ... Done (original and JR West "Kodama" livery)
  • 200 series ... Done (original and new JR East livery, normal and "shark" nose version)
  • 300 series ... Done
  • 400 series ... 1% (not yet really started - will contain both, original and refurbished livery)
  • 500 series ... Done
  • 700 series ... Done (original and JR West "Hikari Railstar livery")
  • N700 series ... Done (original and "Sakura" / "Mizuho" Kyushu livery)
  • 800 series ... Done
  • E1 series ... Done (original and refurbished livery)
  • E2 series ... Done (original and -1000 subseries, Nagano & Tohoku livery)
  • E3 series ... ~25% (will contain both Akita & Yamagata liveries, along with -1000 and -2000 subseries)
  • E4 series ... Done
  • E5 series ... ~80%
  • E6 series ... ~25%
  • Dr. Yellow (track diagnostics trains) ... 75% (sets based on 0, 200 and 700 series are done, E3 still missing)

Preview (click to see full size):

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Joker

Sweet! Those are awesome!!!!! I will wait to see all complete!!! I'm gonna have to download these for sure!!

Cheers Joker
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Václav

Of course ... but I have one small comment: I know that Nozomi (500) is in game for very long time - but one on picture seems be a little different from one that is in game.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

dominickwan

Those HSRs are great
Are those trains longer than the one in simutrans japan website?
They occupy more tiles than others?

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: VaclavMacurek on June 19, 2011, 05:59:08 AM
Of course ... but I have one small comment: I know that Nozomi (500) is in game for very long time - but one on picture seems be a little different from one that is in game.

Yes, there is a 500, and an E3 out there already (made by Haru and monatetsu) and both used to be in pak128 (not sure the 500 is still in there). There are also an E2, an 0, an 800 and a N700 series as add-ons out there somewhere. But most of them don't fit my own trains in either style or scale (or both), on others I didn't like some detail or other, so I decided to do them all from scratch by myself.

Also, since some of them can be used coupled together, as in real life, too (e.g. E2+E3, E4+E3, 200+400, E4+400, E5+E3, E5+E6) I figured it would be easiest to have absolute control about all the graphics and .dat files - and that goes best by doing it on your own from the beginning.

Oh and by the way: "Nozomi" is not the name of the 500 train, but of a train service. It got started with 300 series, and later 500, 700 and N700 series took over. Today the 500 series isn't even used for "Nozomi" services any more.

Quote from: dominickwan on June 19, 2011, 06:59:40 AM
Those HSRs are great
Are those trains longer than the one in simutrans japan website?
They occupy more tiles than others?

Yes, they are longer. Each car has a length setting of 10 (compared to the default of 8, that the trains from the japanes site have - or used to have?) So a full 16 car train needs 10 tile-stations, not just 8.

VS

Wow. Dirk releases addons and Joker comments. I had to check the timestamps to see if we weren't hacked again :) Great trains; are they in the 128.japan scale?

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

ojii

looking forward to the E5-series especially.

DirrrtyDirk

@VS: Yes, seeing Joker writing the first comment was a bit of a surprise - but a pleasant one  ;). And no, they are in normal pak128 scale.

@ojii: Yes, still need to get the nose right... so I'm also looking forward to it.  ;D

Bigtop

Václav

I looked on that picture again and saw that class (series) 300 (number 8 from the top) seems that it has a bit short nose.

And here is evidence: picture where are series 300 and 700 - and really serie 300 has nose of the same length as serie 700

and here is else picture where it can be seen - may be a little better

DirrrtyDirk

The problem is you never know if the trains are stopped at exactly the same position. In the second picture, they are not: 4th train from the front is a 300 series appearing shorter than the 700s while in the background (appears to be 10th and 12th) the 300s are parked a little more to the front. Also to my eye, the distance from the tip of the nose to the windscreen is shorter on 300 series than 700 series.

So far, I'm not really convinced that the nose is too short - at least not enough to put work into it right now.

Fact is,however that 300 series end cars are shorter than 700 series - by 1.30m. And if I'm not completely wrong, that difference is the nose section...

Václav

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on June 20, 2011, 07:28:54 PM
In the second picture, they are not: 4th train from the front is a 300 series appearing shorter than the 700s while in the background (appears to be 10th and 12th) the 300s are parked a little more to the front.
... thanks ... but if you look on the second picture better, you may see that only the 4th train is not parked in the line - compare with line of construction of electrification over trains.

... before end of this ?quarrel: you are right but it is very strange illusion that makes front car of serie 300 not so beautiful like other. So I am looking forward to seeing in game mostly double-decked series E1 (in both colour-versions) and E4.

DirrrtyDirk

It probably should be a bit longer - but not as long as 700. The problem is: these are 100% handdrawn - and changing the angle of the nose to make it longer is quite a bit of work... maybe I'll give that one a shot later, but not soon.

Oh and a better angle picture:  ;) ;D

Edit:

Yet another angle (3D Models from "Densha de Go! Shinkansen")

Joker

Accuracy aside.......and imho....a mute point, the fact of the matter is they are still awesome and will make great editions to Simutrans :)

Cheers Joker
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

greenling

THen gives the new Modeles from tne Shinkansen train set?
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

stmaker

Sorry for the long reply.

How's the project now? Is it finished?
Version using: Simutrans v111.0
Paks: pak64, pak96.comic, pak128 openr582, pak128.Britain, pak128.Japan, pak192.comic
Using: Paint.NET, Paint, Photoshop, SketchUp
Future Addon(s): Building (Link)
Current Addon(s): Eye-See Mart and Several Building addons  Ask me any questions. I'm free.

DirrrtyDirk

No, it is not finished - I stopped working on my Simutrans projects, including this one for the time being. I don't know when (or if) I will be motivated enough to continue again... but right now, I doubt that I would post it, even if it were finished.

ojii

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on November 16, 2011, 03:43:42 PM
No, it is not finished - I stopped working on my Simutrans projects, including this one for the time being. I don't know when (or if) I will be motivated enough to continue again... but right now, I doubt that I would post it, even if it were finished.

That's sad to hear. Would you at least make your WIP available so someone else can finish this?

DirrrtyDirk

No, I've been working on these trains (and quire a few more things) for several years now (of course with many breaks in between), I will not just give them away to anyone else. Especially not, if it means that they might fall into the hands of certain people around here, which is what (amongst other things) made me stop working on them in the first place.

stmaker

Well, looks like we need to make him motivated. :P
Version using: Simutrans v111.0
Paks: pak64, pak96.comic, pak128 openr582, pak128.Britain, pak128.Japan, pak192.comic
Using: Paint.NET, Paint, Photoshop, SketchUp
Future Addon(s): Building (Link)
Current Addon(s): Eye-See Mart and Several Building addons  Ask me any questions. I'm free.

DCD

.             SIMUTRANS--SIMUTRANS