News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

City name generator extension

Started by Bughu Baas, July 17, 2011, 04:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bughu Baas

Moin,

the built-in city name generator (&x_CITY_SYLL and %x_CITY_SYLL) only reads 16 syllables of each version. Everything past F will not be worked with. This is annoying for bigger maps (24 citys+), when most settlings will have similar names. This affects both Simutrans "normal" and Simutrans experimental.

Is it possible to extend the range of both syllables from F (16 syll) to Z (36 syll)?

Malte

Václav

I am not programmer of Simutrans but - isn't better to use one of citylists?

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

jamespetts

In Experimental, more than 16 will be read: this I changed some considerable time ago. If you use the default simuconf.tab supplied with Experimental, a large number of random city names will be generated.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Bughu Baas

Quote from: VaclavMacurek on July 17, 2011, 07:16:07 PM
I am not programmer of Simutrans but - isn't better to use one of citylists?
Yes - unless you saw Berlin with a mere 650 inhabitants and Petershagen with about 220k - then it began to be ridiculous.

Also, I do extend the sylls in de.tab to J for both parts in experimental manually, but I never got any of them used past F. Thats the reason for my first post ;-)

I will try more research at home later this day.

Malte

prissi

The are already extended up to A_Z 0_9 for more than half a year.

Dwachs

Quote from: prissi on July 18, 2011, 08:36:25 AM
The are already extended up to A_Z 0_9 for more than half a year.
No.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

prissi

Dwachs is right, I confused this with halt names. But it is now increased to 0-9/A-Z (in rev. 4699).

Bughu Baas

Ok, Simutrans standard seems to be modified, but how about Simutrans Experimental?

%simutrans%/text/de.tab:
&1_CITY_SYLL
stadt
&2_CITY_SYLL
dorf
&3_CITY_SYLL
bruck
&4_CITY_SYLL
bronn
&5_CITY_SYLL
berg
&6_CITY_SYLL
tal
&7_CITY_SYLL
weiler
&8_CITY_SYLL
hausen
&9_CITY_SYLL
steig
&A_CITY_SYLL
brigg
&B_CITY_SYLL
ensen
&C_CITY_SYLL
stedt
&D_CITY_SYLL
horn
&E_CITY_SYLL
heim
&F_CITY_SYLL
holm
&G_CITY_SYLL
burg
&H_CITY_SYLL
trup
&I_CITY_SYLL
hofen
&J_CITY_SYLL
haven
%1_CITY_SYLL
Kalten
%2_CITY_SYLL
Friedrichs
%3_CITY_SYLL
Bo
%4_CITY_SYLL
Michel
%5_CITY_SYLL
Tuna
%6_CITY_SYLL
Karls
%7_CITY_SYLL
Frei
%8_CITY_SYLL
Alten
%9_CITY_SYLL
Neu
%A_CITY_SYLL
Steinen
%B_CITY_SYLL
Rast
%C_CITY_SYLL
Klein
%D_CITY_SYLL
Gross
%E_CITY_SYLL
Holt
%F_CITY_SYLL
Breit
%G_CITY_SYLL
Norder
%H_CITY_SYLL
Süder
%I_CITY_SYLL
West
%J_CITY_SYLL
Ost

Simutrans 110.6 Experimental 9.12, 100 citys on map, 3 trys: No syll after F is used. :-[

Malte

jamespetts

Hmm, that's very odd - I thought that I had changed this some time ago to allow multiple city syllables; and, indeed, it does seem to work with the latest Pak128.Britain-Ex. Are you sure that you are modifying the correct translation text file here? Remember: the de.tab for the pakset will always over-ride the base de.tab.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Bughu Baas

In %simutrans%/pak128/text/de.tab no city name parts are used.

Also, I do not use pakbritain, but openPAK128 v1.99.0.

Malte

Bughu Baas

In a quick-and-dirty action I extended the german city syllables to Z (see attachment). Once again, in Simutrans Experimental nothing past F is used.

(german disclaimer: Auf diese Liste nehme ich kein Copyright oder so, der deutsche Übersetzer darf sie für Simutrans frei verwenden.)

Malte

jamespetts

I shall have to look into this when I am in a position to look at the code again.