News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Simutrans-Exp 9.12 download detected as probable virus

Started by merry, July 23, 2011, 10:18:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merry

Hi guys,

Thought it was high time to try out Simutrans-Experimental.
On downloading 9.12 as a windows binary, my antivirus package trapped it as 'probably unknown NewHeur_PE virus'.

[edit 1125 23/7/11]
Also, the 'complete' combined download is trapped the same by ESET. I will look into the ESET end of things but it seem sto be trapping the executable bit. Hmm.
[/edit]
I'm using ESET, which has not trapped a legitimate download in the last 4 or 5 years that I've used it. It is particularly renowned for detecting virus activity early.
Now, this could be a false positive - they happen, after all - but it would be the first in a long time.
But I'm also wondering if the github source might have been compromised?

Any chance James (or whoever) could check this out?
I will of course see if I can work around it.

I'd rather not self-compile; whilst I could, it's a pain for a non-developer. Have to download no end of stuff to achieve that.

Thanks guys for any help you can give.

vilvoh

It works for me, I'm using Win 7 with ClamAV - Inmunet 3.0 and there's no warning or false positive.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Junna

I've mentioned this before (and I also have NOD32), and this is indeed a false positive. Temporarily disable the anti-virus as you download and extract, and ignore the random pop-ups from time to time referring to the exe (IIRC it also happens with Simutrans standard, though I might remember wrongly, was a while since I downloaded any standard). This has happened since v. 110 was first introduced.

vilvoh

Maybe it's something related with the new multiplayer features, as antivirus programs usually check that kind of actions.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

prissi

Many programs using IPv6 and Winsock2 are detected as virusses, when they do not use MFC but are rather drawing stuff themselves without DirectX ...

merry

Thanks for confirming my suspicions folks!
Obviously my previous downloads haven't included the relevant 'suspicious' libraries.
Still like NOD32 for the speed & smoothness. Just have to work-around as suggested.
Will let you know if there are any relevant observations when I do.

TTFN
Tom.