News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

New logo designed

Started by Noel, November 05, 2008, 11:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noel

I really don't know where this could fit, so I put it here. Maybe a mod could redirect this topic if its too wrong around here. ;)

I recently made a new logo, some sort of "high-res" version of the traditional Simutrans-logo.
please criticize. : )

detail-view:

150x150 (toolbar-version) and 48x48-version for big icons:

to be able to properly compare it to the original logo, I put it here also:

EDIT1: Maybe I forgot to tell, Im no yet satisfied with this version so its under constant construction. For example, smoke will be added...

EDIT2: Smoke is added and some details of the front are also changed slightly. Let me know what you think about it! ;)

best regards,
Noel
~ Noels Bitmapfactory ~ :: Developer pak96.comic

Ormac

This fits better in Simutrans Discussion and it should be moved there.

It's a very good enhancement of the existing logo.

Ormac 8)
Simutrans Reference Material Blog SRM very wet ink
Download Simutrans Reference Material from http://docs.simutrans.com

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Noel on November 05, 2008, 11:17:42 PM
I really don't know where this could fit(...)

Did you read the "Documentation and Resources" board description? ;)

Quote"Tools development, Wiki, manuals, translations, maps, skins, menus and sounds."

No problem. It won't hurt if I move it to a better place. ;D

Now, a bit about the "new logo" proposal:

Well, it's nice, makes me remember MS Vista OS' effects. As a commemorative logo or especial edition logo, it's beautiful, I like it. But as official logo, I wouldn't adopt it because I prefer keeping the things simple, objective and clear.

I'm not rejecting your logo version. I'd adopt it for a especial moment, not as an official logo.

Noel

I can live with that... ;)
Indeed it's very "shiny" and all... and in fact I thought myself about the deeper concept behind the actual "official" logo. Its simple, and I think its resembling the simplicity that lies behind the basic concept of Simutrans very good: transporting.
It's some kind of "styled simplicity", and my logo is not ment to be a better version. Its more like a shiny special version for all those Vista-users and Brico-Pack-users on XP. :D Like you said.

Im lucky that you like it, nevertheless. Should I do a 150x150-version of the actual logo, so it can be incorporated for vista-users? The current version would look rather blurry on vista with big icons enabled.

Best regards,
Noel

vilvoh

Looks good! the problem is that most of the detail you have added is lost when you scale it. The current one is more simple, less detailed and it doesn't loose too much quality in the scaling process. One thing more, I would use thicker letters, like in the original one, for being readable.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

z9999

I like old one better.
New one looks like a face, and I don't like this point. Is he a friend of Thomas ?  8)

But good work.  :)

prissi

What is better with the new logo: The font (more nouveau art) and the windows of the train. (although I like the font displayed when simutrans start also very much; but then I did this png ... )

THe smoke is too far in the back for my liking, and the second "eye" in the background is strange to me. Maybe for the art nouveau advertizements, the "old" logo (with your font and windows") might be a compromize.

maister

Hello Noel

I hope it`s ok if i use your picture for the screenshot-beta test site?
http://www.racehunter.com/cpg1419/index.php

I think your graphic would be also very nice for the final screenshot site! I like it  ;D
(with some little adjustments)

In the case that some old cowboys agree  ;)

For more details about "project" screenshots please see http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=757.new#new
" border="0 (swiss) *pak 128*

Noel

Whew... quite some reflection about my work. Thanks to you all!
I accept that some may not like the level of detail for a shortcut-logo. But you have to keep in mind that I made it primarily for myself. When I click on icons, they get bigger for a second, kind of pulsing. And you can see most details in that moment, and even if it may sound stupid, I want and like those details when I start any executable or open a folder / file. :D

Now some comments for the comments made:
It really looks like a face, but that impression was even stronger before I doubled the openings in the front-hull. So I thought I had that problem solved, maybe some more elevation-details could solve that "face"-impression. ; )

I was kind of surprised as prissi mentioned "nouveau art", because in fact I never intentionally tried to create something looking like that ... :D Interesting after all. If you want, prissi, I can make a version with the new windows and font but the old train, tree etc.

Last but not least:
Im happy you want to use my logo on your site, maister. But there are some issues with your version of my logo, especially on the right side, near the tree. I'll send you a pm with a version scaled and cropped for your site. ; )

Best regards,
Noel

vilvoh

Quote from: maister on November 06, 2008, 01:56:23 PM
In the case that some old cowboys agree  ;)

Old cowboys say Uhmm....logo aproved!!..... :D

Tomas

New logo looks good, but old is better for me. Old is simple and "sexy". New is too complex

wernieman

I hope you understand my English

robofish

I prefere the old one as well, although the new one is looking nice, too

PatrickN

I like the tree in the new one.

Painter, in and out of retirement.

Noel

Well, there is now a version existing for the german simutrans-board. Maybe it will be used there.
Anyway, here it is:

It has updated smoke (the old one was just too flat) and some minor improvements. ;)

best regards,
Noel

Qayyum

Note - this is just the unfinished concept of my version of Simutrans logo. Trees are missing. Please report any malfunctions of this logo.

Thank you :P.
ALLMYCONTENTISPUBLICDOMAINBUTNOEXPLOITATION

Simutrans - the open source Transport Tycoon Deluxe clone.

Noel

Well, very simplistic. : /
Not what I like but certainly you've put work in it so I won't say it's bad.

Best regards,
Noel

Qayyum

I know, but this is just a teaser to give you an image on how it looks like when it is finished ;).

vilvoh

seems promising, but It needs more color.... </ironic mode>

A little suggestion: you don't have to keep the same design or style of the current logo. It doesn't have to be rounded neither have to include a train with a large column of smoke and a tree.... I guess you know what I mean. Don't get me wrong, I like the current logo but what I understand by new (re)design is something different from what we have now, not a graphical improvement. You may add trucks, ships or planes and mix them in a big logo. You can change the drawing style (toon, gloosy, etc..). You can draw the same from another point of view... :)

Qayyum

Pixel colouring is magic.

VS

Oh, I know what it is now! An armored loco to perform breaking into houses like in Vinnetou... or where was it... :D

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!