News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

select station extensions orientation

Started by gauthier, November 08, 2008, 03:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gauthier

The orientation of a player building is automatically decided. For my SNFOS station extentions, I tried to make 4 layouts buildings to have only one icon per building in the toolbar but the problem was that it was too difficult to build stations with it.

If orientation can be decided by the player, it would be allowed to have only one icon per building and build very easily nice stations.

VS

How is the orientation decided then? I know it is by player, but what does the player do to indicate a direction?

That's not to say it is bad idea - only not complete.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

maister

!! gauthier...   Yes, it`s needed...  definite.... if you know how long i tried to make some nice stations, you think im crazy  ;)  BTW.. can you please use for the flooring a little bit unobtrusive color.. like marble grey :) i don`t like barbie... thx    ;D

@VS a button on the keyboard, and every time you push it, the direction will change.
" border="0 (swiss) *pak 128*

gauthier

Quotea button on the keyboard, and every time you push it, the direction will change.

it's a good idea, I would suggest r or R but r mean remove and R mean rotate.

why not (looking at the keyboard ..., A, no, Z, ...)

Z ? (not z but Z)
not a capital letter ?

(a,z,e,r,t,y ...)

why not y ?

prissi

The orientation is always facing the nearest stop. Id fail to see the difficulties here.

If you make buildings assymetric, you will also see the ground layout.

VS

The problems arise when there is more than one stop nearby.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

gauthier

Sometime I must build temporary stations to be sure that the extension will be well-oriented.

VS

...why not build in good order from the beginning?

z9999

But I think it should reference ribi of the station at least in this case.

[edit] chaged the attached image

maister

The moment configuration is too incalculable. Sometimes it`s work sometimes i drive crazy ;)
The example on the above is simple. But we need also functionality for complex constructions.
(Also more complex like the example below  :P)

example:
Picture 1: All ok, but... i used some tricks
Picture 2: The map is now rotated and you will now see the misplaced elements (red arrow).
The blue arrows marked the tricks, that you not will see misplaced element on picture 1.

The "Tricks"
- use elements without direction
- build high building to cover
- desist to build some elements
- rotate the map before build some elements

(sorry that i upload pictures here, the screenshot server has right now a upgrading.)

gauthier

I haven't thought about the rotation, it's true : if orientation can be selected, four layouts buildings can exist so rotation problems are fixed !

maister

I think not. Because as soon you will rotate the map again you will have a chaos, because the elements change their directions. Like my example.
And also it`s very complicate to build with the map rotation. That would be great if there a button to rotate the element self..

That means, following would be great:
- a fix direction of the elements (also if you rotate the map)
- a button for rotating

gauthier

QuoteI think not. Because as soon you will rotate the map again you will have a chaos, because the elements change their directions.

No no you haven't understood what I mean.

Quoterotation problems are fixed !

I mean that after building your station, when you rotate the map there isn't any chaos. (Ans you can also build with the map rotated and there is no chaos when rotating again).

prissi

The example of z9999 with the building next to a bridge is an  error. A building should not be allowed there. Or, if one wants a building there, it should look for planquard_t about a halt.

whoami

Quote from: prissi on November 09, 2008, 07:21:57 PM
The example of z9999 with the building next to a bridge is an error. A building should not be allowed there.
Why not- just because the player can choose a building that doesn't match? On the contrary, I would say that a stop on a bridge would not work, unless it is made accessible by some stairs or an elevator.

prissi

No because just a default rotation is choosen, because the routine found nothing. But also the rotation of player buildings was wrong. The whole stuff was broken (but nobody aparently reported on it ... ) Should worked as intended in the next nightly.

prissi

gauthier

QuotePlease text again.

Oh sorry I haven't seen :D

in fact I haven't really understood what you mean. Can you explain in a "easier" English ?

wernieman

I think he mean:
Quoteplease test again

-x +s  8)
I hope you understand my English

gauthier

test or text ?

I have understood that Prissi want me to answer ...

VS

Prissi makes lots of typos. If you read more threads like this, you will also find that "please test" is his favourite phrase :)

Ok, maybe I cheated a bit; before this, I updated my copy of code and in the changes were two entries related to this problem. So I knew it was fixed...

KrazyJay

Quote from: VS on November 18, 2008, 09:31:36 PM
Prissi makes lots of typos. If you read more threads like this, you will also find that "please test" is his favourite phrase :) [...]
LOL! :D:D A real developer then! But where would we be without him... ;) /me respects Prissi big time!
Played Simutrans in:
~ The Netherlands ~ United Kingdom ~ Taiwan ~ Belgium ~

Simutrans player

VS

Of course. Now, I make lots of typos, too - only I have enough time to check before posting! And he probably does not :(

wernieman

OT:
When you look at my posts ...... I make very often Typos and I have a problem to find them ....

I think, my posts have the most  :'(
I hope you understand my English

z9999

??? seems not good.

z9999

Tested in r2128.

VS

IgorEliezer

Quote from: VS on November 21, 2008, 02:10:19 PM
Potemkin villages?

Too late... :'(

... at least I could use it as reference in my Final Project for my graduation (just kidding).

z9999

Tested in r2130.

I really support gauthier's extension request.

gauthier

How is the extension today ? Since last modifications, impossible to build a nice stations with my station halls  :(

gauthier

This idea made me think a other idea :

It's about cursors, instead of having a cursor painted by the author, why not use the building/way/station/signal/and so on, in green transparency in its final position ?

I mean, when you build a way, you see the final way in green transparency.
When you build a building and you can select orientation, the building is shown in green transparency as it would be built. When you change orientation before building the building, the cursor (building in green transparency) would change orientation.

By the way, if the thing couldn't be built, it would appear in red transparency.

Zeno

Oh yes, I also support the request... I always spend ages building airports and never get what I want :'(

gauthier

(Prissi will hate me because of the work I give to him  ;D )

VS

Prissi probably thinks, stop talking and give me a patch!

prissi

prissi is busy enough with other stuff like multiplayer, but has this on the long todo list.

gauthier

Prissi seems very busy ...

Good luck with your todo list ;)

prissi

Should be fixed since some versions. Please somebody try it?

gauthier

it's not fixed ... (r 2203)

prissi

The orientation is always to the next a station, fitst tiles with matching ways and then any station tiles. Other than that the building cannot guess your intention. Use layout=8 to achieve this.

gauthier

My way to make stations worked well before ST 100  :-\

QuoteOther than that the building cannot guess your intention.
That's why it would be better to decide what orientation will be used.

QuoteUse layout=8 to achieve this.
Can you explain ?

prissi

Layout=8 takes the orientation from the neighboring layout=8/16 building. Thus it would have what you want.