Your feedback is important for us ;D.

MRPH_City_Road_50.pak Project

Started by Spartanis, August 27, 2011, 06:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spartanis

Current Work in Progress.
MRPH_City_Road_50.pak Project

Description:
City Road with maximum speed of 50. Ideal for urban areas of the game. Contains a rather nice asphalt texture surface along with Concrete footpath on either side.

Current png files:-

Game Test Result:-

Dat File:-
###############################
#
# CITY ROAD PAK
# Author: M.R.P.Harvey
# created: 27/08/2011
# version: Beta 1.0
#
# System parameters
Obj=way
waytype=road
Name=MRPH_CityRoads_50_a
cost=100
maintenance=10
topspeed=50
max_weight=10
intro_year=1900
# Image Parameters
icon=> MRPH_CityRoad_3.1.1
cursor=MRPH_CityRoad_3.1.2
Image[S]=MRPH_CityRoad_1.1.2
Image[E]=MRPH_CityRoad_1.2.0
Image[N]=MRPH_CityRoad_1.2.1
Image[W]=MRPH_CityRoad_1.1.1
Image[SW]=MRPH_CityRoad_2.1.0
Image[SE]=MRPH_CityRoad_2.0.2
Image[NE]=MRPH_CityRoad_2.0.1
Image[NW]=MRPH_CityRoad_2.0.0
Image[NS]=MRPH_CityRoad_1.0.0
Image[EW]=MRPH_CityRoad_1.0.1
Image[NSEW]=MRPH_CityRoad_1.1.0
Image[-]=MRPH_CityRoad_1.0.2
Image[NEW]=MRPH_CityRoad_2.1.2
Image[NSW]=MRPH_CityRoad_2.1.1
Image[SEW]=MRPH_CityRoad_2.2.1
Image[NSE]=MRPH_CityRoad_2.2.0
ImageUp[12]=MRPH_CityRoad_3.0.2
ImageUp[6]=MRPH_CityRoad_3.1.0
ImageUp[3]=MRPH_CityRoad_3.0.0
ImageUp[9]=MRPH_CityRoad_3.0.1

As you can see from above image, I came across a rather annoying issues that needed to be fixed.

Yellow Circle:-
It shows as a pushed state wether you clicked on it or not. Planning to use GIMP/MSPAINT to repaint certain areas to give the raise effect. Btw, i really liked the images of the buttons of Fabio's roads. If only i could create something similar, but in my own style..

Red Circle:-
Even tho my effort to rid the horrible white outlines (created by Anti Aliasing, or AA for short), it still shows lines where two tiles joins together. (in this case, look along the road surface, not the footpath). I need AA to get the image look rather nice. However, AA creates shading outlines, of which we DO not want!!

What i have done as an effort, is that in BLENDER, i created a Composition Node to render it out as ALPHA (the model shown in white, background shown in black. Of course, i rendered each model twice, one as Normal Image, the other as Alpha image.

Using Gimp, i load both images as layers. I also added a new layer with black background. In the Alpha layer, i deleted the white areas to get the transparent.

In order of layer, from bottom to top layer, are the following:- Black Background, Image, Alpha Layer.

This method works like charm for the OUTLINE of the image, but, I still get the same problem, except that now its darken in some areas of the image, rather than the original problem of white outline.

I can only think that the BLACK BACKGROUND layer in GIMP, may infact, need to change colour to somewhat closer to the road surface colour.

Green Circle:-
This is rather puzzling problem. This shows that other tiles appears to overlap my road tiles. I don't know whether this is because my footpath is higher than the tile surface, or I need to add something into the .dat file.

Purple Circle:-
I think my Yellow Wireframe Box may not be needed as the game itself has a square anyway. So I will remove that. However, I may need to work on the cursor icon to something more, suitable.

Not Circled:- Other issues found.
The Up images, or rather, the slope tiles of the road, seems to show that although the bottom line is perfectly placed, the upper end shows a few pixel higher offset. This will be fixed easily.

Conclusion:
Alot to be done. I need to get this finished properly before I start creating all sorts of various roads. I believe that by perfecting the Blend File, The Gimp method, etc, will allow me to create other way's quickly and easily.

I welcome any opinions or ideas the community may have to perfect this project.

M.R.P.Harvey
aka Spartanis

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Those are really gorgeous. Really really nice.

The only request I would have is a consideration for variants that include yellow road markings (dashed line in the middle) so it works for US players like me. (Even better: a double-yellow line, as city roads normally would be here)

Spartanis

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on August 27, 2011, 07:34:43 AM
Those are really gorgeous. Really really nice.

The only request I would have is a consideration for variants that include yellow road markings (dashed line in the middle) so it works for US players like me. (Even better: a double-yellow line, as city roads normally would be here)

Consider it part of the "To-Do" list.. But first, let me do the Australian Style :P

I plan to have a numerous type of city roads available.. One set would have no line markings, another set ya have edge lines, another set have dashed middle lines, another set have double solid middle lines and so forth and so forth.

You can see why in another thread, I was looking into restructuring the Game Menuconf :P Ti.. "clean it up into sub groups so to speak .. lol anyways.. i'm half way done fixing the Graphical issues atm.. *goes back to Gimp*

Isaac Eiland-Hall

My apologies if I missed your stated plans. D'oh!

Then all I can say is: Please do carry on with your awesome work and awesome ideas. :D :D :D

Spartanis

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on August 27, 2011, 07:46:44 AM
My apologies if I missed your stated plans. D'oh!

Then all I can say is: Please do carry on with your awesome work and awesome ideas. :D :D :D

Heh.. its all cool mate,

I've done the graphics, now im about to "Pak'ed" it to see if i done it any better :)

Spartanis

UPDATE:

Red Circle areas:--> Fixed
Purple Circle Area:--> Changed, but still not quite sure about it...
Yellow Circle:--> meh...
Green Circle:--> Still puzzled...
Not Circled:--> Slope roads .. couple are fixed, but the other two directions still needs to be hammered into place!

Spartanis

hehehe.. ehhehe.. heheheheh.. hehee.. *ahem* :P

EDIT:

Created 40kph road. Same as above, but without the middle dash lines

Spartanis

UPDATE:

created new way "Country Road".. speed limit 100km/h

Here's the link to get all three Road paks, for you to see, look, play with, and test it. Oh yeah, and to criticize it, of course.

http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/MRPH_CityRoadsBetaVersion.rar
This link is valid between Aug 27 2011 15:52 and Aug 26 2012 15:52

DCD

.             SIMUTRANS--SIMUTRANS  

Zeno

Spartanis, you might take a look to the tool I created for blender outputs (at the Tools subforum). The main idea is to take two renders, one with AA and another one without it. Then you use the image w/o AA as a mask to crop the good one. I tried once to do that with empty tiles for stations, but it was really difficult to avoid those lines though. Hope it helps :)
Btw, nice roads!!

Spartanis

Zeno:

Thats what I have done. The first set of images is normal render with AA. Then the next set is com,positing without AA. As I have said in my previous post.

As regarding to you blender template.7z files in TOOLS subforum. Again, I have mentioned that these files are corrupted, broken, or whatever. Having changing filename from *.001.7z to *.7z.001 and the only program reads it is Adobe Reader!

Winrar's spitting the dummy at me:-
Quote!   C:\Users\MRV\Downloads\Template.7z.002.7z: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged
!   C:\Users\MRV\Downloads\Template.7z.001.7z: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged

I suggest you extract it, then archived it as .rar or .zip, THEN i can have a look see at this Blender Template of yours.

Zeno

I'm sorry I didn't understand your explanations in your previous post.
About those files, you won't open those files with rar, you *must* use 7zip instead. Anyway, I can unpack and send them in rar format if you want so.

Edit: You need 7zip, but both files *must* be in same folder and must have .001 and .002 extension. Then 7zip is able to open them.

Spartanis

AHHH.. i understand now.. ok.. lemmie go grab 7zip software and I'll have a look-see at your files.

Got it.

I think my laptop doesnt like this file, for Blender crashes when i open it. (as it did with sintel_lite.blend file i grabbed elsewhere the other day.) But i was able to link/append anyways.

Two questios:
1) How do i use this .py file of yours?
2) why 176 dimension? why not 128 or 64?

Zeno

IIRC the script was for v2.5x, check your blender version if you're in trouble opening the file. It won't work in blender 2.4x, I'm sorry.
About the questions:
1) Copy the addon to the blender addons folder then add it through preferences -> addons. You will find plenty of results if you google anything like "blender install addon". Then, this addon is thought to make a single light source and camera rotation to take 4 or 8 renders of a scene. Feel free to modify it in order to make it fit better your needs and/or your way of using blender.
2) If you are talking about the render output, you must adjust it to the size you want for your results. For pak128 I used 176 for airplanes, 250 for ships, 128 for any other objects.

Anyway, if you know a little of python (or any other programming language) you can take a look to the script, and you'll quickly see how it works as long as it's very simple.