News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Bug - Passengers via station not on a convoy's route.

Started by fbfree, September 25, 2011, 10:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbfree

When loading http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/NZ1856.sve, many passengers are being routed onto stops that are not part of the convoy's route.   For example, convoy 40, and most convoys on route 9, has all it's passengers going via Brownpool Centre.

After initially loading the game, many of these passengers are listed as going to 'unknown' although a few do have a final destination listed.  Those with a final destination remain stuck on the convoy as seen in the two attached screenshots.  Those passengers with an 'unknown' intermediate stop are lost when arriving at the next stop.

When the schedules of the convoys are recalculated, the improperly routed passengers are lost from the convoy (whether the final destination is unknown or not), and their space is freed up.

This bug seems to also have been noticed by carlbaker.

Quote from: carlbaker on July 31, 2011, 08:22:06 PM
[...]

In short: on the "Via (amount)" display, vehicles are trying to take passengers to stops which they do not serve.

Here's a visual example:

The trouble is that this train never visits "Budapest Ferenc Liszt Airport"! In order to get there, passengers would have to change. But the "Via (amount)" screen only shows the immediate destination for passengers, not final destinations. The upshot is that those Airport passengers will never leave the train.

jamespetts

Thank you for the report. Hmm - I thought that that had been solved. Can I confirm what version of Simutrans-Experimental that you are using, what platform that you are using (Windows/Linux 32/64 bit, etc.), what pakset and pakset version that you are using, and whether this problem only occurs on loading games saved in Experimental 9.x, or whether it also occurs in new games?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

fbfree

Hi James,

Sorry for overlooking the version info.

This occurs for Experimental 10.1, but not experimental 9.12.
Using the linux x386 binaries, and pak-brit-exp 0.8 (with unrelated modifications to the revenue and speedbonuses for boats).

jamespetts

Does this occur only in games saved from 9.x, or does it also occur in games created with 10.x afresh?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

fbfree

Hi James,

I don't have a fully developed game in 10.1 yet, but there was no change when saving the other game in 10.1 and reloading it.

Carl

My experience was that this bug only arose when importing 9.x games into the 10.x branch. No passengers were subsequently routed wrongly -- only those who had been mis-routed on loading.

The mis-routing was particularly severe, however, since some passengers were displayed as travelling to stops which were served by no lines at all -- stops that it should not even be possible to route to.

I should say that I haven't tested this in the latest version, but rather these comments refer to how the old 10.x beta behaved.

jamespetts

Hmm - this is an odd one. I have not found the ultimate cause of this problem, but I have pushed a fix to my 10.x branch which will discard any freight/passengers going to unreachable destinations on loading. Can people re-test, and check, in particular, whether this problem affects any game not loaded from 9.x?

Junna

As far as I've noticed, it only occurs on loaded save games with 9.x and not on new games. It can be fixed in a save game by refreshing the line a convoy is assigned to, and it only seem to occur to convoys that are already loaded at loading.

wlindley

My guess is that the lost passengers are going to the "lost stations" where the location sign winds up misplaced (the stations being displayed with a sign-board of "Unknown" above) ...?

Carl

Quote from: jamespetts on September 26, 2011, 09:13:32 PM
Hmm - this is an odd one. I have not found the ultimate cause of this problem, but I have pushed a fix to my 10.x branch which will discard any freight/passengers going to unreachable destinations on loading. Can people re-test, and check, in particular, whether this problem affects any game not loaded from 9.x?

Hi James.

I've finally gotten around to testing this fix. (Sorry for the delay -- have had little time for compiling and the like recently!) Here are my findings:

-- Some 9.12 games appear to still display this bug: passengers are not discarded on loading in the new version.

But...

-- I can find no evidence of the bug in 10.x-created games.