News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

"Buy House" and "Replace Stop" - special construction. what do they do?

Started by Severous, October 12, 2011, 08:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Severous

Pak 128 - unmodified V110.0.1 r4359

Special Construction tool has several buttons with no help.  I do not understand these two and there are no posts that help me.

Buy House - Does not cost as much as demolishing a house.  The brought house does not appear to improve as the city expands. I cannot improve it. I can demolish it. Why would I buy a house when playing Simutrans?  What strategies and tips do you have?

Replace Stop - I cant get this to work but then I am not sure what it meant to happen.  A post by prissi suggests this alters transport orders including lines.  I tried getting trains to stop at a different tile of a station but nothing seemed to happen.  An alternative use would be to move stops up/down within a route so the stopping order altered. I dont think this button does that either. Advice please.

Thanks.

Regards
Sev.

Fabio

Replace stop: changes all schedules and lines due to stop on a tile in order to stop at a different tile, belonging or not to the same station. E.g. From a platfprm to anothet in a multi platform station. Also udeful if you need to relocate a stop/station. Work on waypoints as well.

Buy house: exactly as you dedcribed, prevents a house from being upgraded e.g. a park.

Combuijs

Buy House: you own the house now, so no other player can destroy it and the house itself will never be upgraded. I don't know what the exact purpose is, might be eyecandy to get a center with lower buildings.

Replace Stop: In every schedule (?) or line of the current player the stop you pick first will be replaced by the stop you select second. Stop selection for trains is per platform, for all other vehicles per tile. Ideal if you want to move your central station to another place when running out of space...
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Buy House: Indeed, this is eye-candy. "Oh, I love that building!" - now, you can keep it forever. Unless you accidentally destroy it. :)

Replace stop: Note that this works on a strictly tile basis, not per stop. So if you've got multiple lines going to a stop, but happened to pick different tiles in the stop (say you have choose signs/signals, or even just route different lines/schedules to different tiles) -- you will have to move all relevant tiles, if you want to completely move everything from one stop to another.

I always use choose signs for trucks, and designate a "master" tile for precisely this reason. So if I change which tile is the master, it won't make much difference intra-stop...

So, for example, moving a stop from one tile of a train platform to another tile of the same train platform will have zero effect on train routing. If you use choose signals, changing platforms will have negligible effect, probably (depending on your setup, but choose signals should basically reroute -- only that it tries to use the chose platform if it's free, then if not, the closest one available).....

Others gave the basic answers, so I just tried to fill in possible gaps. :)

Severous

Thanks Gents for the replies.

Buy House - I used this tool to buy 80 or so buildings in one city.  I did this because the objective of the map I am playing is to double city population but reduce the number of buildings by 50%. I reasoned I was going to demolish those 80 buildings once I had enough money so why not stop them growing, and instead cause city growth elsewhere.  Works a dream except..there is a high monthly maintenance cost for the buildings purchased.
In my game on a small messed up map cash flow was low and became even lower.

Replace Stop - The reason I couldn't get this feature to work is answered in Combuijs post "Stop selection for trains is per platform, for all other vehicles per tile." I had been trying to move the stop from one end of a train platform (3 tiles long) to the center tile of the same platform.  I had to do that manually, but in all other occasions since this feature now works very perfectly.

Thanks again for all your help.
Regards
Sev.