News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Server Games - What are their attraction to players?

Started by Severous, October 16, 2011, 11:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Severous

Hi

I see posts about setting up servers and joining. 

Could server game player say what they like and dislike about server games? 

How does the game experience differ from a game running on your own machine which you can save and pause and go back to whenever you like?

What happens if I joined but could only play once or twice a week for a few hours?

Is it really necessary to install upto date software every night?

Regards
Sev.

jamespetts

The advantage, I think, is that a game world in which other intelligent humans are also building networks is much more interesting and complex than one in which only you are building a network. The opportunities for co-operation and/or competition are very great and substantially enhance the game experience.

You don't have to install up to date software every night - only whenever the server software is updated.

If you can only play for a few hours a week, you might find that many things happen in the background whilst you are away, but this depends to some extent on the pace of the server. Server games can now be set to pause when nobody is connected, but I am not sure whether anyone implements this feature; this can reduce the difficulties for players who are not able to play for many hours a week, however.

If you are interested in playing online (which I recommend - it is more fun than single player gaming, for me at least), have a go at joining an existing server, and start with building just a small network to start with to see how you get on (and whether you are able to play often enough to keep up).
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Fifty

Yes, I think James sums it up quite nicely. I like netgaming because it is nice to have dynamic networks that grow around your own, and the ability to do what you like. I also like netgaming because it makes me micromanage my network much less because I know it will continue to grow when I am offline, and thus I can just focus on building new routes and vehicles. Occasionally people will take or duplicate your routes, or just get in your way, but this is part of the challenge and makes the game IMO more realistic and fun. Sometimes when you play a game offline, it can get static or uninteresting, which rarely occurs in netgames.

If you like pak 64, I would recommend 64.entropy, where I usually play (my nick is RF&P), I'll be happy to chat and help you with any routes. The server just runs the stable right now, though timothy may use a nightly soon to test the listings server. Even then, you only have to download a nightly every few weeks or so.
Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?

Xelofino

I habe very positiv experience with network gaming. As james said, its just a great thing to see others networks and cooperate with them. You can learn from them, they the same from you. The biggest problem is really time. For a good game all should be online at once and chat or talk to eachother. A few hours a week should be enough if you dont have to build new things. But if there is some comlex project going on you need a lot of patient and a good internet connection. Else you have desync waves and cant even start a new vehicle...But it is also posibble to share an account (both know the password). You must really try it if you havent yet, its worth a try.

Xelofino

Ashley

It is my aim to run my servers using the stable releases to avoid the need to upgrade the software too often. Once the next stable is released I will run the 4 main servers (as well as moblet's server when they choose to upgrade) on the stable until the next stable version is released.

I'm also planning to run at least one Simutrans Experimental server, again, following stable releases.

Resources permitting I'll set up a test server which will track the nightly builds, possibly updating as often as once a week.

I don't have time to actually play Simutrans, but I do like to log into the network games and look around the transport networks people create. The complexity amazes me sometimes, especially the interplay between different styles of play within one map. The cooperative style of play that goes on on the moblet server especially is really good and well worth looking at for an example of network construction and planning.
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

jamespetts

Yes - there is much joy in watching others' creations!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Severous

Hi

I tried to find a network game that uses the version that is recommended for download ( http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=7025.0  110.0.1 r4359).   I cant find one in Pak64,128,GB or German.

Is this the latest stable release? Was I unlucky? or are there no server games using the latest stable release?

Regards
Sev.

Ashley

Since the new listing server came online I've switched my netgames to use the nightly. When the new stable comes out soon they'll use that instead.

Try checking one of the threads in this forum for details of the Simutrans version/pakset version needed to join.
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

Severous

Thanks for your reply Timothy.  

I am not good with mods and different versions so stick with the latest recommended standard release.  If a new version is coming out soon I will wait for that. I will occasionally try the server list  in case someone else has put up a stable server game.  If they don't I think I will try instead to work out how to make scenarios as ive done the arena challenges now (that run on standard)
Regards
Sev.

moblet

I like netgaming for the same reasons already given, especially seeing other minds at work and the different ways of tackling challenges. I have learned a lot from observing how other players design and operate their networks, which has improved my own play. There are so many different minds at work you can't predict how the networks are going to develop, and I am constantly surprised.

In theory it is possible to set up netgames of many different kinds, not only with different maps and paksets, but with different parameters and rules. As online Simutrans is very new this has not really been explored yet. With Timothy's help and the use of his server I have been experimenting with a style of play that requires players to co-operate rather than compete. I have also, for example, reduced the city growth rates so players with limited time are better able to participate, and turned off the city cars so that road queues do not become unpredictably long and interfere with other players. (Note that playing on the moblet server requires regular attendance because of the need to connect with and serve other players, so you would need to log in more often than once per week.) It is possible to set up a netgame designed specifically for people who have very limited time.