News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

General Route Finding Question

Started by Spacethingy, November 04, 2011, 06:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spacethingy

Hi guys!

I was wondering, do player vehicles find their route by simply finding the shortest route?

I have a bus trying to get to the centre of a city from an incoming highway. I built a fast elevated ring-road to allow fast access to the centre as shown on this schematic (ooo, I love that word...  :D):

I put in on/off-ramps in several places so that city vehicles could use the ring-road too. Unfortunately, this allows the bus to take a weird cross-city shortcut route, which is really slow due to the city speed limit and high traffic. Obviously I can just assign way-points to make the bus stay on the highway, but it would have been nice if the engine worked this out for itself!

Any chance of time being incorporated into route finding? Perhaps as an option for routes for cases where distance is more important than time (e.g. low time-bonus goods).
Life is like a Simutrans transformer:

You only get one of them, and you can't have it on a slope.

Ters

It's not the shortest route that is chosen, but the "cheapest" route. At least some of the things considered "cost" is listed here: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=8159.0

From reading prissi's post, it looks like both speed limit and traffic is taken into consideration when calculating the cost, but the highway is still considered more costly.

jamespetts

You can always use waypoints to tell vehicles to go the way that you want them to go.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.