The International Simutrans Forum

Author Topic: Zoom the destinations minimap in City Statistics  (Read 2245 times)

Offline falconne

Zoom the destinations minimap in City Statistics
« on: November 08, 2011, 08:50:44 AM »
I'm new to the game so I might have missed something obvious, but is it possible to zoom into the two minimaps on the city statistic screen that show passenger destinations? I'm playing pak128 on the default 256x256 map size and it's almost impossible to make out any detail on them. I can make out some of the dots, but the colour isn't always clear, making it harder as the game goes on to find destinations that don't yet have stations.

Offline Dwachs

• DevTeam, Coder/patcher
  • Administrator
  • Languages: EN, DE, AT
Re: Zoom the destinations minimap in City Statistics
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 09:21:44 AM »
this minimap is not zoomable.

One can play also without such precise information: Just cover large cities first, connect factories to cities that want to send workers there, and connect tourist attraction (high-level ones first).

Offline falconne

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 09:33:18 AM »
Oh ok. Thanks, I figured as much.

On a related note, I know passengers will use multiple transfers to get where they want to go, but will they use different competitors' stops if they have to? For example, if I build a passenger train service between two big cities and only place the train stations, but both cities are internally well covered by competitors' bus services, will passengers use the other players' buses to get to my station from everywhere in the city? Or do I have to build my own bus network inside each city to bring passengers to my train stations?

Also, if the above two cities already have an intercity bus service between them, but my train is faster and more frequent, will I scavenge some passengers off those bus services, or does there need to be unhappy passengers before that happens?

Offline Carl

• Devotee
    • Website
  • Languages: EN
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 09:46:01 AM »
Just a note that this kind of information (passenger destinations) is available as an overlay on the map screen in Simutrans-Experimental.

Offline Combuijs

• Web Team
  • Devotee
  • Maintainer of maps.simutrans.com
    • Combuijs
  • Languages: EN, NL
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 10:24:16 AM »
On a related note, I know passengers will use multiple transfers to get where they want to go, but will they use different competitors' stops if they have to? For example, if I build a passenger train service between two big cities and only place the train stations, but both cities are internally well covered by competitors' bus services, will passengers use the other players' buses to get to my station from everywhere in the city? Or do I have to build my own bus network inside each city to bring passengers to my train stations?

They will use the competitors services, but the services should be linked to each other in a public station. So the competitors busses should stop at your train station.

Also, if the above two cities already have an intercity bus service between them, but my train is faster and more frequent, will I scavenge some passengers off those bus services, or does there need to be unhappy passengers before that happens?

In Simutrans Standard they will use the shortest route (in distance, not in time) with penalties for every transfer. Speed and frequency do not matter. In Simutrans Experimental travel time plus waiting time is taken into account.

Offline prissi

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Languages: De,EN,JP
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 10:32:22 AM »
You can show the pas/mail destinations of the currently open city window in the game minimap (which is zoomable). This is one of the last buttons called destinations or so. THis is present in simutrans standard (and thus also in experimental).

About which service they choose: Currently in standard it depends on which stations is more close. (However, it may change to which is better reachable soon.)

Offline Carl

• Devotee
    • Website
  • Languages: EN
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 10:35:56 AM »
You can show the pas/mail destinations of the currently open city window in the game minimap (which is zoomable). This is one of the last buttons called destinations or so. THis is present in simutrans standard (and thus also in experimental).

Ah, my mistake -- I thought this was an Experimental-specific feature.

Offline falconne

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 11:24:16 AM »
Ah thanks, I saw that button on the main mini map but thought it was some kind of global destinations layer.

Ok so that makes it easy to see where the passengers want to go (from the looks of it, everywhere on the map :) ). As my first attempt at a bus service I put down several stops to cover a region in one major city, as well as several in a nearby large city and sent several buses to go in a loop around these stops both intra and inter city. There's not a lot of passengers getting on this loop, but the stops say there're a lot of passengers in the "No Route" category. Is there any way to find out where they really want to go, or do I just have to keep putting stops at every nearby orange destination spot until there are enough passengers finding routes?

So the best way to start making money from passengers then would be to pick a major city, cover it with enough stops to catch every orange spot inside the city, then add connections to nearby industries and tourist locations? Am I on the right track?

Also, regarding the use of public stops to allow transfers between players (thanks for the info), I see I can convert my own stations to public using the special builds, but as I can't make my competitor's nearby stop public, does that mean I just have to hope they route some buses to that public stop? I suppose I could become the other player and make their station public, but that seems like cheating.