News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Multiple City Rules

Started by Isaac Eiland-Hall, December 03, 2011, 09:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I wish we could have multiple cityrule sets and different cities would randomly choose from multiple possibilities. :D

jamespetts

Isaac's post sounds like an extension request to me...
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Why, I would *never* post an extension of someone else's idea to see if there was support for it before making an extension request! How dare you accuse me of such a thing! ;-)

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Markohs

How about autocreating big 2 street avenues for easier station coverage? As example the middle avenue in this photo. I also support Isaac's idea of having multiple rules, chosen by each city, even being able to toggle it on the city hall window.

Fabio

I split this extension request. Maybe cityrules could be linked in the dats of townhalls.
Like this:
- bigger and smaller cities can have different cityrules
- a small city, growing, can get an old center with one set of rules and, after it got bigger, a different layout for outskirts
- different rules for different ages and climates (if enough townhalls are provided)

@Markohs: Unfortunately 2 parallel stretches of roads will get extremely messy if built by cityrules (they are linked every tile), but if this is ever solved, your layout is very beautiful...

colonyan

AH! Why no one thought about this!
Sound amazing. Will definitely add variety.

It would be also interesting if a city changed city rule depending on the year/era.

sdog

When combining this idea with what Isidoro is cooking right now: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=8743.0

and the double road tile sets being experimented by someone it gets very interesting. In particular in the light of Trams. (some less than optimal tram-as-trolleybus hacks can be avoided.) Just one word: Magistrale

[This would also call for another addition in a later step: If the cityrules are size based, it would be sensible if cities would be partially demolished during initial city building (world creation) and rebuilt according to new rules.]

Markohs

Yes, if a double size avenue layout is ever implemented should be able to demolish and relocate some buildings(with the city never losing citizens), with the exception of atractions maybe.

Fabio

I don't agree. Unless the player undertakes heavy demolition works, the new rules should only apply to the newer neighborouds. The core of the city should only upgrade buildings. Btw it would be nice if you could indicate in dats which buildings can update an existing one (all by default). if none, that building cannot be upgraded at all.