News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Idea for extension request: Bridge pillar foundations

Started by Isaac Eiland-Hall, December 16, 2011, 10:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac Eiland-Hall

One thing that bothers me about bridge pillars is that they don't look good on sloped tiles. But I just had an idea: Bridge pillar foundations.

If the bridge pak supports it (i.e. optional feature), when the bridge is built, if a pillar is built on a sloped tile, first the tile is flattened downward, and the pillar foundation tile is built. Then pillar(s) placed on top as normal.

This would give the graphic designer some sort of control to build a foundation that would blend better into the terrain...

Make sense? Good idea? Easy to do?

Thought I'd start it over here in discussion first, then if it's deemed a good idea, can be moved to extension requests :)

Fabio

Nice!

I would split the pillars in 3 parts: basement, for all; top part; middle.

The Hood

Absolutely with fabio on this one. Good idea Isaac.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

ӔO

I'm assuming you mean something like a stair case would happen?
I also like the idea of top, middle, bottom pieces.

My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

VS

Why even flatten the pillar tile? There could be 6 possible foundations - flat, water and slopes. (The non-straight slopes are something of a nuisance, yeah...) For top of pillar, I'd go for changing the "way" tile instead of pillar, since that gives more graphical possibilities.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I guess the tile doesn't *have* to be flattened, since the graphic painter would simply paint something that looks like it should fit on a sloped tile... I was just thinking that they might paint something that looks like a box, or concrete slope with integrated pillar...

AEO's mockup is nice, though not quite what I was thinking - instead of just doing the pillar down there, I was thinking of either a concrete box to "flatten" it upward (but Simutrans has to flatten downward so you can draw a box), or perhaps a replacement for the sloped tile, but concrete on a slope...

http://i.imgur.com/aqsPt.jpg - I can't find a better image offhand... but the concrete is sort of on a 'slope-tile' there, even though there's no pillar on it.... So like it could be painted to be concrete on the grass, with a pillar base coming up from that or something...

I guess painters would have the best ideas on how to do this. I just was trying to come up with some way of alleviating how a pillar placed on a slope tile looks *wrong* in the game. heh.

So, better ideas ahoy! :)

Quote from: VS on December 16, 2011, 10:45:51 PM
Why even flatten the pillar tile? There could be 6 possible foundations - flat, water and slopes. (The non-straight slopes are something of a nuisance, yeah...) For top of pillar, I'd go for changing the "way" tile instead of pillar, since that gives more graphical possibilities.

I love that idea - different foundations for water, in particular. Glad I posted this just for that idea! :D

ӔO

My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

The Hood

Having longer span bridges without single tile repeating image is very high up my simutrans code wishlist!

Fabio

Quote from: VS on December 16, 2011, 10:45:51 PM
For top of pillar, I'd go for changing the "way" tile instead of pillar, since that gives more graphical possibilities.

Now we can do it only if pillars are every tile (e.g. arches). How could we make them e.g. every other tile?
Possibly mapping the bridge parts A, B, C, D, C, D, C, B, A and possibly linking pillars to specific bridge tiles, I wonder?

jamespetts

I strongly support this, as it would allow for suspension bridges and other such significant things in the bridge world.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.