News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Game Saved in 10.3, Cannot open in 10.5

Started by Banksie_82, January 18, 2012, 12:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banksie_82

Hi, I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but I can't recall seeing a report for it... so here goes.

I have a save game for Experimental that I started several months ago, probably in the late 9.X versions, I can't recall precisely. I have since played it in 10.0, 10.2 and 10.3 with no problem. But when I upgraded to 10.5, it crashes the program. For reference, it still opens in 10.3.

I get the usual Windows message saying the program has "stopped working" with the following message:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:                        APPCRASH
  Application Name:                             Simutrans-Experimental.exe
  Application Version:                           111.0.10.4
  Application Timestamp:                     4eee3d98
  Fault Module Name:                          Simutrans-Experimental.exe
  Fault Module Version:                        111.0.10.4
  Fault Module Timestamp:                  4eee3d98
  Exception Code:                                  c0000005
  Exception Offset:                                0013fa01
  OS Version:                                          6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:                                             3081
  Additional Information 1:                  0a9e
  Additional Information 2:                  0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:                  0a9e
  Additional Information 4:  0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I downloaded the zip file for 10.5 containing Pak138.Britain Experimental and there is no add-ons included.

My computer is a reasonably old 32bit with Windows 7.

The save game is here.

Incidentally, this is a very well developed game for Experimental if people wanted to have a look anyway just out of interest. I'm happy to go into detail but perhaps that should be the topic of a different thread.

Thanks for the help.

jamespetts

Thank you for the report. I have been very busy to-day, and am not able to look at this at present. For reference, are you able to open it in 10.3, save it in a lower version (press the "i" key and change the Simutrans version to 110.6), then open that re-saved version in 10.5? That would be a good workaround.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Banksie_82

Sorry James,

I haven't had a chance to try this work around yet, I've been a bit busy. I should be able to test it in the next 24hrs or so. I'll get back to you.

Banksie_82

I have tried what you suggested, James, with no luck.

I tried a combination of 110.7, 110.6, 110.5 and a couple lower one's with Ex 10 and 9. None of them worked. Incidentally, I also tried with Ex 10.6 and 10.7 and neither would open it.

Don't worry about it too much about it, I'm happy to keep playing in Ex 10.3 for a while. I just thought you would be interested in the report.

jamespetts

Hmm - when saving with a lower version, did you check whether (1) 10.3 itself would open them saved with this lower version; and (2) the lower version number was correctly displayed in the load/save window?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Banksie_82

James,

1)   No, I did not try to reload it in 10.3 after saving it in a lower version... I'll give it a go tonight.
2)   Yes, the lower version number was displayed in the load/save window.

jamespetts

Please do try reloading in 10.3 and let me know how you get on - that would be helpful.

Banksie_82

James,

I can save the game in 110.7 and 110.6 and open it in 10.3.

However, when I save it in 100.5 it will not open in 10.3, with the following report from Windows...

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   Simutrans-Experimental.exe
  Application Version:   110.6.10.3
  Application Timestamp:   4ea9c413
  Fault Module Name:   StackHash_b84c
  Fault Module Version:   6.1.7601.17725
  Fault Module Timestamp:   4ec49b60
  Exception Code:   c0000374
  Exception Offset:   000c380b
  OS Version:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:   3081
  Additional Information 1:   b84c
  Additional Information 2:   b84c10662633c89cdbc70476e9da2086
  Additional Information 3:   373c
  Additional Information 4:   373c392285fbf75a997334f566520c75

There are some different numbers in there from my original post, so I don't know if it is the same problem.

I did mention in my original post that I download the complete zip file to play. I just noticed that the pak has been updated since 10.3. Will this have any effect on what I'm experiencing?

jamespetts

It's hard to tell - the difficulty with this is that the bug is more likely to lie with the older version rather than the newer version. You could certainly try it with a new pakset to see whether that makes a difference, but I rather doubt that it will.

Banksie_82

If the bug lies in an older version, and no one else is experiencing this problem, then I would be happy to leave it at that.

I don't mind continuing to use 10.3 until I have finished with this particular saved game.

Thanks for your help anyway, James.

jamespetts

Hmm, I think that I may have found a fix for this, although it might cause temporary errors in the routing of goods. I am about to push the fix to my 10.x branch. (I am not sure how the problem originated, which indeed would be with the saving version, but this is a workarond that allows the game to be loaded without crashing).