News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

[Closed] New Simutrans-Experimental server (bridgewater-brunel.me.uk)

Started by jamespetts, January 14, 2012, 09:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

Quote from: sdog on February 19, 2012, 11:46:40 PM
Oh yes, journey times don't play a role at all anymore. In late 2009 i think you had the best balance. It was a very narrow edge for profitability, local transport had to be very well optimised for low travel times, else massive refund could cause a profitable company to quickly drop to inprofitability. (i managed only with three in about 20 tries to succeed for more than a decade, and only one for a few decades.)

Hmm - this wasn't really quite right, however, as there was little use for high capacity vehicles. What is needed is a setup where low, medium and high capacity transport networks are all useful in their place.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

sdog

That old state is perhaps a bit too extreme. But don't forget we have clustering of cities now and diferent travel distances of pax. The high capacity long range stock will come to play to connect distant population centres. If i remember correctly the savegames in the 17x range were saved with pax factor 8 or 10. (can't check right now). Pax per tile within the allowable weight is the only thing that counts for me when buying convoys.

Going to larger large cities in the 30k to 40k range provides a very high demand on the main line. Having smaller large cities with a higher pax factor would also work, but then the little villages provide considerably more pax. (and mail, there's no mail in that game, as it was completely impossible to move that sheer amount, without building a completely new rail network)

dustNbone

I don't find that mainline saturation is a problem yet (1910ish).  I'm still only using 5 tile trains and generally have a fair amount of capacity left, though traffic is quite high on some lines they're still not getting in eachothers way thus affecting average speed.

jamespetts

Bear in mind that your main lines should not be anywhere near saturated with passenger traffic: there should be slow freight traffic interspersed with the fast passenger traffic, as there was in reality, and some lines would, in reality, have far lower utilisation than others (and therefore have lower profitability).

Urban short distance railways are another matter, and they might very well be saturated with passengers.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

ӔO

I'm sure in real life, there would have been competition by increasing service quality or decreasing fairs.

PS. I will need road works near elford and nightworth
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

AP

Quote from: ӔO on February 19, 2012, 06:25:02 PM
Oh, for anyone starting up a new company. There are still plenty of cities and towns that need connecting, and it is possible to make a profit even with only $250,000 in starting money. There are quite a few clusters of cities in the north east and south east corners that can easily result in profits. The LMS push-pull sets are more than adequate for this and the diesel buses are not bad either.
I'm still practicing in my sandbox, trying to get a feel for what makes experimental 'tick'...

ӔO

I have setup a pair of starter companies that make a profit and can easily be expanded.

Hardden & Colbrook Railways is still small, but offers plenty of hope. It doesn't earn much, but is quite stable with a sizable budget for expansion.

Salford Railways only runs one line, but has found its niche in a rather busy area. It earns quite a lot, thanks to its fast service through a crowded corridor, but the competition is fierce and its foundations are rather shaky at the moment.

For both companies, password is: password

oh, and james, I think it would be best if you can unlock player 1, 2, 3.

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Quote from: ӔO on February 20, 2012, 01:43:23 AM
PS. I will need road works near elford and nightworth

Elford I have done, but I am not sure what you want at Nightworth...?

rsdworker

Quote from: ӔO on February 20, 2012, 08:57:39 AM
I have setup a pair of starter companies that make a profit and can easily be expanded.

Hardden & Colbrook Railways is still small, but offers plenty of hope. It doesn't earn much, but is quite stable with a sizable budget for expansion.

Salford Railways only runs one line, but has found its niche in a rather busy area. It earns quite a lot, thanks to its fast service through a crowded corridor, but the competition is fierce and its foundations are rather shaky at the moment.

For both companies, password is: password

oh, and james, I think it would be best if you can unlock player 1, 2, 3.

my former company - city tramway which is no longer operates because i was abandoned company because desyncs - so its seems working pefectly

edit 1: city tramway is up for takeover - password is password
so i don't see those two companies - salford also H+C on player list

edit 2:
scratch that - i taken over H+C company :)

edit 3:
hmm - why password is not working - there no message to confirm the password is correct or wrong

edit: 4: - ahh works now - but desync is small but better now

edit 5: - jamespotts - you need sort the stuck trams messages - its annoying

btw - i extended the line to Turnthorne

Carl

Just checking this out for the first time today -- I grabbed one of the empty slots. Trying to connect some of the remaining towns in the East.
(My first time on pak128britain.ex too, I should say, so there's a good chance that my business will not be a success! :) )

A couple of desyncs so far, but I'm willing to bet that's due to problems at my end.

wlindley

is it me, or does doing anything (laying even one tile of track, etc.) take two or three minutes?  i do not get desyncs now, but the game is unplayable.

rsdworker

Quote from: wlindley on February 21, 2012, 04:57:53 PM
is it me, or does doing anything (laying even one tile of track, etc.) take two or three minutes?  i do not get desyncs now, but the game is unplayable.
yes i did play earlier - i experinced simllar problem

Carl

I find it to be more like 2 seconds than 2 minutes, but there's certainly a delay.

---

Edit:
Dear me, looks like I completely misunderstood rail weight limits, meaning I bought far too expensive track. Without that, I'd be making a profit... :(

---

Edit 2:
I've aborted Bakerlink, chalking it all up to experience...

ӔO

I get around 2~4 seconds of delay.

I wish I could unlock player slots 1 and 3...

I mean, I could have sworn I started up 3 and put "password" as the password, but alas, that's not it.

Colour safe chart:

AP

Quote from: carlbaker on February 21, 2012, 05:09:50 PM
Dear me, looks like I completely misunderstood rail weight limits, meaning I bought far too expensive track. Without that, I'd be making a profit... :(
Weight limits can be a bit of a pain, frankly. I had the reverse trouble with my second attempt on the map- the empty train could run over the tracks, but the weight of the cargo when it was loaded was too much for the track to carry.

dustNbone

Yeah the double decker buses do similar things.  As well as being a bit underpowered, they can't get up a hill with more than 15 pax or so.

AP

Quote from: dustNbone on February 21, 2012, 08:19:34 PM
Yeah the double decker buses do similar things.  As well as being a bit underpowered, they can't get up a hill with more than 15 pax or so.
James has really got the realism down to a tee!  ;D

jamespetts

Quote from: dustNbone on February 21, 2012, 08:19:34 PM

May I ask which specific 'buses you were having trouble with? If the petrol electric, they were underpowered in reality...

Edit: As to the delay, I had increased server_frames_ahead to 6 when we had the earlier desyncs before I realised that the problem was due to a bug. I have re-set it to 4 now, the default; let me know if (after the next save/reload) the problem gets any better.

Edit 2: I have unlocked two dud players, "Player 1" and "Player 3", so there are now two free slots if anyone would like to join in and give the existing players a run for their money...

ӔO

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Junna

It no longer seems to appear in the announce and the in-game server list?

jamespetts

It does appear on the listings website. There is an issue with the exact name of the pakset (I am not sure why it has arisen now and not before) meaning that it does not currently appear on the in-game list unless one checks "show all" for Windows clients - this should be resolved for the next release of Pak128.Britain-Ex.

ӔO

in 10.9 'show all' was selected by default, but in 10.10, it's not. I think that's why it doesn't show up.

the server seems to have crashed. I got a protocol error.

I would guess that the finances ran out of digits at $10,800,000,000.00 or something.

we were starting to get negative interest at that range.

Colour safe chart:

dustNbone

Yeah there's been a bit of weirdness.  In and around the time I stopped gaining money (I thought I was being supertaxed :)  the game decided to seemingly at random delete various stops from my schedules.  It seemed to mainly be schedules that I'd most recently created or modified, some just had a stop or two removed and some actually had all their stops removed, sending all the vehicles to depot.  This obviously created a very large mess which I have only partly repaired thus far.  I'm thinking we broke something.

jamespetts

Hmm, that is extremely odd. The server still seems to be up according to the listings server, but I shall take a note about what appears to be an integer overflow in the interest calculations. Sorry about that difficulty!

I'm not quite sure how to track down the issue with deleting halts from schedules - did this only happen once? It is almost impossible to find a bug without being able to reproduce it reliably.

dustNbone

Yeah it seemed to just happen in one lump.  Doesn't seem to be happening again.  It was very odd behavior :)

jamespetts

Very curious indeed... that almost sounds like memory corruption, although a whole lot of those sorts of bugs had - I thought - been remedied of late. But there are whole new sorts of iterators in the latest Standard nightlies that I am painstakingly merging into the the 111.1-merge Experimental branch on Github (and the time that it is taking to do that is why I have not yet had a chance to update the -devel branch with the excellent looking patches from Carl and Richard), which I think were intended partly to address possible memory corruption issues, so it might be that this problem magically disappears in the next major version - we shall have to see.

(The interest rate bug is a different matter and will need its own fix).

ӔO

well, the server is working now.

the passenger network itself seems to be nearly overloaded. I think it would be completely overloaded if motorization wasn't in full effect.

Colour safe chart:

dustNbone

Lol yeah I had a few line go to depot and stop working.  Resuming services now :)   The southern undersea tunnel wasn't running so that would make alot of traffic elsewhere.

Carl

I've been absent since the 1920s, and the towns I serve have completely outgrown my rudimentary network. One really has to keep a regular eye on this!

Milko

wlindley

With several of the versions (from 5 Feb, and 8 Feb) that formerly worked, I now get to "Calculating Paths," the bar goes all the way across, and... nothing.  CPU at 0%.  Just sits there.  What with lag and disconnect problems, I have not been able to play since the 1880s.  What now?

dustNbone

I offer $10 Billion simutrans dollars to the first person with a good answer for wlindleys question.  Since I'm not allowed to have more than $10.8 Billion :)

Milko

Hello wlindley

Quote from: wlindley on February 28, 2012, 03:02:50 PM
With several of the versions (from 5 Feb, and 8 Feb) that formerly worked, I now get to "Calculating Paths," the bar goes all the way across, and... nothing.  CPU at 0%.  Just sits there.  What with lag and disconnect problems, I have not been able to play since the 1880s.  What now?

Are you connecting to the server using a self compiled build (different from 10.10 release version)?

Giuseppe