News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

[Closed] New Simutrans-Experimental server (bridgewater-brunel.me.uk)

Started by jamespetts, January 14, 2012, 09:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ӔO

I've checked the config.tab, but it doesn't seem like assume_everywhere_connected_by_road=1 is enabled. It's still flagged to 0.

I've tested the performance difference between the two as a local copy. Game speed, at best, is 0.31 before it becomes unresponsive for both.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

ӔO

I think it might be best to restart the map with more conservative settings, as it is unplayable right now.

Say, with a smaller area and around 450 cities, 300 industries and 500 attractions?

I've added some maps to the list of good or interesting maps that should result in a similar game play experience to the current map.

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Sorry for not having replied to this before. The performance issue here is not a factor of the private car routes feature, as that is disabled (even if not in the simuconf.tab file, it is indeed disabled in the .sve file, as will be seen if you download the game, open it in single player mode, and press the "i" key: "assume_everywhere_connected_by_road" will be checked).

The problem appears to be specific to the new version, with the same saved game performing much more slowly in 10.11 than in 10.10. This looks as though it is probably a bug, which I shall have to look into when I clear the merge issues induced backlog that my work schedule this week is not making go away any faster.

Thank you for reporting the issues, though: that is helpful.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

ӔO

here is a slightly touched up #9763. Main difference from stock are the connections of seas and lakes. Map has been rotated as well.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Trial%2010.11.rar

It should be decently challenging to play if used. It also skips ahead to 1835 instead of 1825, because there really is not much that can be used until 1835.

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Hmm - I'd rather be starting at 1800, actually, to make full use of canals.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

ӔO

redone in 1800.
Trees also removed, which decreased file size to about 1/5

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Trial%20v2%2010.11.rar

I edited the config file to use macadam road to save hassle down the line.

---
I think, as long as no one adds too many cities, it should remain playable until the end.

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

I have restarted the server with a slightly modified version of the current game, removing private cars, which were causing performance problems (see here for discussion). The performance of the server is now drastically improved, and readily playable. Apologies for the difficulties that have obtained in the meantime.

rsdworker

great its will be good to try - i don't understand why private cars causing problems - its needs looked at it

jamespetts

Indeed - I am in the process of looking at it! To clarify, private cars will still compete with player transport for passengers, and will still cause congestion to register on the graphs in the cities, but the private car graphics will not be displayed in the game.

ӔO

server works fantastically well without the private cars.

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Splendid! Just looking now into the performance issue with private cars.

Roland Deepson

*Noob alert*

Hello folks.  Recently rediscovered the game.  When I last put it down I think the latest stable was in the mid 80s, or something.

I like the improvements, and I like the idea of online play.  But the online interface involves elements that are unfamiliar to me.

Could someone help me navigate what's involved in logging into an online game?  I see the server lists, but I have no idea where the "url" is (I know my way around computers but I'm no software engineer) and the dialogue box where I type in server info manually isn't very illuminating in its description.

I hope I placed this comment in the correct thread.

jamespetts

Hello! Welcome to the forums, and welcome back to Simutrans.

There is presently a small bug which prevents the server game from being shown in the list unless you check the "Show all" box next to the "add server" button. Click "Show all", then click the blank text box above it, and hopefully you will see the URL of the server. Once you have selected that, providing that you have the correct version of the game and the pakset, the "Play online" box will become available. Click that, and the server game will load. Note that, because the map is very big, it will take a good few seconds to download. Once the map has loaded, you will need to select your company (click the disk icon in the top left, select "players", and find an empty slot), then click on the green button to rename your company and give it a password so that only you can control it. Note that you can change the company name and password at any time. Once you have done that, you are ready to start playing.

Roland Deepson

Thank you very kindly for your timely reply.

I know what paksets are, but I'm only vaguely familiar with how to change or download them.  (I do note however that from what I can tell, this process is VASTLY streamlined from what I recall.  I've already downloaded and used a 64, a stable 128, and a nightly 128.  I like how they're all concurrently installed, and I need only select which one I want to use at startup.  I remember having to have multiple config files in temp folders and swapping them oout before switching paksets, and using the wrong one would cause my computer to crash.)

I suppose I'll fiddle with it to see if I can discover some of my own answers, but your help here has set me in the right direction it seems.

dustNbone

Just extract each pakset into its own folder inside the Simutrans folder, the game will search these out and offer a menu at startupi from which you can select from your installed paksets.  Alternately you can specify one from the command line with the -objects switch.  Hope you are successful :)

Roland Deepson

This I have actually discovered since my last post, so thank you.   ;D That said, I'm still not keen on figuring out which one is "better," but I anticipate this will come to me with time and practice.

ӔO

I've managed to produce a rare bug, according to me, anyways. I've only gotten it once before. Upon replacement, sometimes a convoy will bug out and tell you "depot cannot be found, convoy must be sent there manually", even though it has already been replaced. It will constantly give out this warning as long as the convoy is in service and the error message will only go away when the bugged convoy is withdrawn.I know it's one of the layland DAF 85 arctic mail trucks, but I don't know which one exactly.If you switch to my company, you will see it.

---

Okay, it seems that it was actually the narrow gauge train that had no depot.

---

There seems to be another bug. I replaced class 43 diesels with 365 dual modes. They run over another player's tracks with different electrification and it seems like the route finder can't route the trains over someone else's tracks with differing electrification type. It happens just south of spinford.

Colour safe chart:

rsdworker

ok i am back on online game - so which company i need take over because i noticed some still have steam trains but i can't find my company who i took over on server

thanks

jamespetts

Hmm - what do you mean when you say that you can't find a company?

AEO - will look into that bug when I get the time? Would you mind posting bug reports in their own threads, though? Thank you!

rsdworker

Quote from: jamespetts on April 20, 2012, 11:35:00 PM
Hmm - what do you mean when you say that you can't find a company?

AEO - will look into that bug when I get the time? Would you mind posting bug reports in their own threads, though? Thank you!

i can't remember name of company that i took over but look in previous posts

jamespetts

If you don't know which company that you took over, how do you know that it has steam locomotives? Did you know that you can click on a way and see the name of the company that owns it?

rsdworker

Quote from: jamespetts on April 20, 2012, 11:45:21 PM
If you don't know which company that you took over, how do you know that it has steam locomotives? Did you know that you can click on a way and see the name of the company that owns it?
Hardden & Colbrook Railways that company which i took over but i left because server had problems but its not there on player list anymore
and i will find which company has steam trains and try to take over

ӔO

Quote from: jamespetts on April 20, 2012, 11:35:00 PM

It seems to be hard to reproduce on a small local game. I'm starting to think it's related to the stalls when replacing electrification on a big map. Route finder retains the limits of the old convoy, so it assumes the replaced convoy is also diesel.

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Quote from: rsdworker on April 21, 2012, 01:38:03 AM
Hardden & Colbrook Railways that company which i took over but i left because server had problems but its not there on player list anymore
and i will find which company has steam trains and try to take over

If it's not on the company list any more, I'm afraid that that means that it's been liquidated.

ӔO

I would say that it's actually quite difficult to run a profitable passenger or mail line, starting from around 1970. It's really important that your lines are augmented with bus or tram lines. A rail network that only covers the city hall and nearby attractions will quickly run into red.

Currently, I'm renovating the entire western coast, but it's time consuming and tiring to my clicking finger.
At least I now have a fairly good design for running mail and pax lines efficiently.

Pax: grid bus network
Mail: hub and spoke truck network

Works way better than tube trains, for some reason.

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Interesting! When you say that it works better, what do you mean - in what way does it work better?

ӔO

I'm finding that most of the tube lines simply have way too much capacity for the amount of usage they are getting. They were pretty good for about 50 years, but motorization seems to have taken its toll on the tubes as well. Buses with dedicated roads can do the same job better, because they are faster to accelerate and they have a smaller capacity that better matches the demands. What's more, running bus lines also allows room for mail trucks to be run adjacently.

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

AEO,

that's a useful insight. I wonder whether this has to do with congestion, and the way in which it is calculated. Congestion is currently based on a "congestion density factor", the size of the town and the number of cars. This results in some very large cities having much less congestion than some smaller cities (Scarmead, for example, has about 1,900 congestion, whereas Workmere has only congestion of 54). The congestion impacts on people's willingness to take public transport. (There is also an insufficient local bias, I think, although that will be rectified in the next version). A better means of calculating congestion might well help to encourage people in larger cities in particular to take public transport, while leaving those in smaller towns to use their car as happily as they do now.

The ultimate solution for congestion calculation would be to calculate actual routes for private cars, have them travel along those routes, and then get actual congestion data from each individual tile (i.e., how long that road vehicles on them have been stationary in the last month), but this would require much work, and I do not know whether it is feasible at reasonable performance given the computational effort that would be involved.

jamespetts

Hmm - we seem to have a rather late Beeching axe on the West Coast! Were profits too low?

ӔO

oh, it's not a beeching axe.
Profits were low, but it's a full tear down and renovation for the grid-bus line and hub-spoke mail lines.

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Hmm - but the whole coatford area now has no public transport at all.

dustNbone

Wow, that is one mega project you have undertaken there.  I've noticed that it seems to have attracted a fair bit of traffic to the whole network, keeping me at least near profitability. 

Hoping to get some time to sort out my mess and try to provide some local services in the east.  You're correct as far as passenger transport being minimally profitable after the 1980s, at least on a small enough scale for a new player to succeed.  I tried setting up a new company just to run some local/rural bus routes and it failed miserably (Translink).

The local tube trains are pretty much a hopeless cause as AEO pointed out above, just can't get enough traffic on them, and their performance really seems lackluster on short runs within a city.  Overall, it's worth running local services just to feed the much more profitable long distance high speed ones, but they will run at a considerable loss as far as I can tell.

ӔO

dust, if you can, could you please remove the bridge that crosses water at feathervale?

james, could you please remove the road at axingworth millborough station?

Colour safe chart:

dustNbone

I think I have done it :) If you have any mutually benficial suggestions for where I should start I would be grateful.  My experience with Simutrans is fairly limited and you seem to have a much firmer grasp on these thing from me.  I'm going to try a few surface level bus lines to increase the traffic to the network as a whole but I really don't have alot of understanding of the way things work now.  I guess the wider adoption of private vehicles has reduced traffic on the rail networks, and I know I have a few convoy spacing/density issues on my network, and at this point just breaking even is the first goal, but I just wonder where to start.'

Overall I think this is one of the most elaborate and impressive Simutrans maps I've ever seen, and there are still unserviced areas to work with, and I feel proper sympathy for the poor server :)

ӔO

thanks dust.

I think 'Turnleigh Brambly Lane Railway Station' or 'Murdingley Market Square Railway Station' will see a lot more traffic once the network is fully up.

You might want to replace some of your high speed lines with maglev. It seems to be quite profitable to connect stations that already have 20k+ arrivals/departures. You're definitely in a better position to link up thurmouth with maglev, but to where, I'm not sure.

The maglev lines need to be really straight. Their corner penalty is pretty significant (220km/h).

PS. could you please remove 'Starmead Mint Lane Stop'?

Colour safe chart: