News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Cheaper passenger/mail station for rail?

Started by neroden, January 20, 2012, 12:59:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neroden

I think pak128 needs to have a cheaper station for passengers/mail on the railways.
At the moment it is cost-effective to build tram track, put a 30km/h road on top of it, and put a bus stop on that; it's much cheaper than the cheapest passenger station, and the maintenance cost is much cheaper.  This is silly.

There should be a "country halt" or "whistlestop" type station option which is almost as cheap as a bus stop. (And has just as small capacity.)
Anyone interested?  I can't do graphics...

VS

Why not? You could perhaps change the plain cargo station so that there are some benches and lights, and call it a basic platform. Capacity can be expanded easily with some of the higher level station tiles. After all, this would be just an eye candy option for combination of basic cargo + something that enables passengers :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

MagnusA

@sdog: According to wikipedia a whistlestop is an "on request stop". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whistlestop

sdog

oh, looked at wikipedia and didn't find it, sorry for bothering, and thanks for the link.

it would need a code change, to have the train pass without stop if there are no pax boarding or alighting.

Fabio

This would apply even more for busses (and trams). E.g. in Italy in most cities the busses don't stop if nobody is asking them to, either pressing a button (those alighting) or waving from the stop (those who want to board). Thus sometimes busses skip one or more stops, specially at nighttime...

neroden

Quote from: fabio on January 20, 2012, 05:51:05 PM
This would apply even more for busses (and trams). E.g. in Italy in most cities the busses don't stop if nobody is asking them to, either pressing a button (those alighting) or waving from the stop (those who want to board). Thus sometimes busses skip one or more stops, specially at nighttime...

Actually making a whistlestop work as a whistlestop is a little too much code work for now, but I was just thinking of a station of the *size* suitable for a whistlestop (i.e. tiny)

jk271

It would be nice to have cheaper platforms (with low capacity) for cargo too. Edit:  (= with level=1)
For example train station near a powerstation do not have to have huge capacity for storage of cargo. Having capacity of 32tons/items/"or I don't know what" or less per one tile would be enough in such a situation.  On the other hand platform having bigger capacity can be used near the coal mine. Different picture of the (cargo) platform is not needed, only capacity and maintenance.

VS

Capacity, cost and maintenance are tied together by level. The basic level is set as it is. You can adjust this in simuconf.tab (and thus also in the extended settings dialog window).

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!