News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Bus schedules - spreading out buses on a single line

Started by Postlimit, January 04, 2012, 11:41:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Postlimit

I have a couple of large cities connected with a profitable (yay!!) bus network. Extending from this relatively dense network are a few long lines to tourist attractions, factories (for passengers) and villages. The long bus lines often require multiple buses.

I press the start button from the depot to spread out my buses (one is on one end, the other is on the other end of the line). But I noticed that after a while, one catches up with the other, and they form a line.
In one case, 5 buses of the same type, of the same line, are all together.

While those buses are all full (and profitable), is there anyway to spread them out, so I can reduce peak loads on my network? A few stations cannot handle 5 buses from the same line to arrive all together (and then 2 months nothing). Any way to spread them out, other than recalling to the depot, and pressing start again manually??

Combuijs

If they are not full, you can use the "wait for 100% full" option, in combination with a maximum time. If you set the maximum time to 1/32 it will wait about one day if the bus is not full.

If the busses are full however, nothing will work. But it's no problem if busses have to wait a short while before a station, there are no costs involved. And as they are full they will run efficiently.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

MHD

The option, which Combuijs mentioned is working great. If you have a passenger line with two ending points, I usually let them wait on both ends.
If you do this, the vehicles will not so easily stack. The longer the line is, the longer I set the waiting time. If you experience often, that the vehicles are loaded at the ending points, it is obvious, that you should use more vehicles on the line.
One of the best options for passenger transport...

TheDeTour

If your line is a loop, it helps to have 2 separate lines instead, each going around the loop in different directions. It generally makes for more efficient bus service and reduces the amount of buses bunching together. You can also use a stoplight to space buses more evenly.

Postlimit

Took me a while to get back to this thread... Been busy learning other stuff, but I still haven't figured out how I can make buses or trains wait at the end of a line.
In line management, there is something written that seems relevant, but doesn't work:

month wait time < off >

Pressing the <  or > doesn't do anything.
Also, the text "month wait time" is grey, and not black, suggesting that whatever it is, it's somehow disabled.

Combuijs

Specify the filling percentage first, e.g 100% full or 50% full etc.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

IgorEliezer

Moderator Note: if you want to ask for help about how to play Simutrans, please use Help Request board: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?board=7.0

If you want to open a discussion about the pak128 itself, i.e., the development of the pakset, then, use pak128 board.

Topic moved.