News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Convoy detail window

Started by Spike, February 01, 2012, 10:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spike

I'm sorting this message to "help requests", since it might all be good and clear, but I have questions about some details.

Questions as a player:

- What is the difference between "Sell mode" and "withdraw"?
- What sort of decisions can I make if I know the friction factor of vehicles?

Questions as a pak set maintainer:

- Can I set the friction factor somewhere, and will it help to differentiate vehicles?

Questions as OCD victim:

- Why is "withdraw" lower case and "Sell mode" upper case?
- Why is there an extra indented "empty" on a single line when the line above says 0/8 load?

Wishes:

- Can the convoy totals/summary have a "Totals" or "Summary" label? (I needed a while to figure out that it is not redundant, but makes sense for convoys with several engines)
- Can the dialog get a bit of extra space between the title bar, the summary and the buttons? It looks like this dialog has no need to conserver a few vertical pixels, it scrolls anyways?

Fabio

Withdraw deliverers all cargo/pax before selling, with sell you lose the cargo you were transporting.
Honestly, sell should be a last resort option, not put on the same level as withdraw.
Personally I only use sell to get rid of a convoy stuck for which there is no other simpler way to dispose.

TurfIt

Quote from: Hajo on February 01, 2012, 10:26:11 PM
- What is the difference between "Sell mode" and "withdraw"?
Both buttons have tooltips that seem to describe things ok - at least for English. Fabios response is correct.

- What sort of decisions can I make if I know the friction factor of vehicles?
Currently, probably none.  I remember watching those values once upon a time, and discovering that if you put a curve before a hill, the convoy climbs the hill as though it wasn't even there. Sadly, that exploit has been patched.  8)

- Can I set the friction factor somewhere, and will it help to differentiate vehicles?
Nope.

- Why is "withdraw" lower case and "Sell mode" upper case?
Translator strikes again!

- Why is there an extra indented "empty" on a single line when the line above says 0/8 load?
What does it say when the vehicle is not empty? Layout makes sense in that case. Maybe the 'leer' clause could be removed from the code.

- Can the convoy totals/summary have a "Totals" or "Summary" label? (I needed a while to figure out that it is not redundant, but makes sense for convoys with several engines)
Probably.

- Can the dialog get a bit of extra space between the title bar, the summary and the buttons? It looks like this dialog has no need to conserver a few vertical pixels, it scrolls anyways?
I'm going to play the consistency card again. The first row of text is positioned below the titlebar consistent with the other dialogs with text at the top. Dialogs that've already been reworked that is. Out of place is the excess left margin.   ;)

---
This dialog is one that I skipped over. The only time I open it is to hit the withdraw or sell buttons. What do others use it for? What would others like to use it for that can't be done now?

Ters

I have never understood why the button is labeled "Sell mode". There is no mode, it just sells the vehicle on the spot. Withdraw on the other hand, is a mode the vehicle enters. "Sell mode" should be changed to "Sell instantly", "Sell now", or just "Sell".

Spike

Quote from: TurfIt on February 02, 2012, 12:04:33 AM
I'm going to play the consistency card again. The first row of text is positioned below the titlebar consistent with the other dialogs with text at the top. Dialogs that've already been reworked that is. Out of place is the excess left margin.   ;)

You know that I'll play this card against Prissi who keeps defending inconsitencies among dialogs. At the moment I feel pretty frustrated because the one developer refuses changes because he wants consistency and the other refuses changes because he defends inconsistencies ...

I think I'll make my own fork and make my own UI. I have now a C++ development environment. It just clashes with my word that I'll not do any coding for Simutrans again. But it depends on how much I feel the need for a better UI ... or I just let the whole thing be, that is more lazy and peaceful anyways. *sigh*