News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

New map inconsistency between preview and reality

Started by AP, February 04, 2012, 04:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

Hi

In line with my desire to practice my skills on experimental, I've been creating maps more lately, and have noticed the following:

When I use the climate options to define my preferences for the map (low water level, lots of hills etc), and change the number of the heightmap being used, the preview image of the map updates, as it should, to show roughly what I'm going to get.

However, when I create the map, and look at the resultant map in-game, it's significantly different. As in, a map that should have a tiny pond in one corner is being generated with 40% ocean.

Am I the only one having such issues?

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

AP

Would it be any help if I post a screenshot of settings and a before and after image?

jamespetts

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

AP

Okay, so here is the settings i use - note the preview thumbnail, which historically I've always found very accurate, and the second image is the map it generates.

jamespetts

Hmm - I notice that you have "hilly landscape" checked. Could you test with it unchecked to see whether you can reproduce the problem without that setting enabled?

AP

That fixes it, gives a map which perfectly matches the preview. Something's off with that setting, then.

jamespetts

Hmm, seems so. I should possibly deprecate it in any event, as it does not add much to increasing the mountain height.