News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Re: Balancing notes from the online game

Started by ӔO, February 05, 2012, 04:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ӔO

at some junctions, it can be desirable to have trains only go one way down the tracks, but keep them out of the junction itself. If they stopped inside the junction, the line can be jammed. This is particularly so, on replacements, because the trains will go down tracks that are not used very often.

Take a look at parshore station

As for roads/rails in general, the loading gauge is a combination of weight and speed. Heavier freight trains not only go slower due to their design, but also because the tracks can't handle the same speeds passenger trains can go over at. It's either slow and heavy, fast and light or very expensive.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

AP

I suspect AEO is suggesting a marker which designates a piece of track as one-way only but which does not itself act as a signal in defining blocks. I've wanted one too, usually for use in conjunction with choose signals (ie between the choose signal and the end-of-choose signal) or other complex junctions to stop the trains doing silly things, but where one specifically doesn't want to use a signal (since that would, for instance, allow trains to stop halfway across the junction).

EDIT: too slow! But it's a good idea.

jamespetts

Topics split

One way markers exist for roads, but I do not think that it works for rail. This is really an extension request, I think, and it applies equally to Standard as to Experimental, so I am moving the topic there for discussion.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Fabio

Such signs can work, and there is one in Pak 128 which I painted long ago. Take a look in svn.

jamespetts

Ahh, oops - this should probably go to the Pak128.Britain board, in that case. Fabio - what are the relevant parts of the .dat file?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Fabio

Is_one_way (or whatever) =1
Is_signal =0 or missing or commented out.
;)
Same as for roads.

jamespetts

Fabio

You're welcome! 
Basically, all options for road signs are available for railways too (and for every way type)

jamespetts

Perhaps The Hood could think of doing one of these for rail in Pak128.Britain...?

The Hood

Can't this just be achieved with a one way normal signal?

sdog

trains would get stuck on that junction.
it works however when placing pre-signals in front of that junction.

Fabio

Signs don't make a block and don't stop a train, so they are only used for routing. They achieve different results.

AP

No, because a one-way-normal signal has two functions - it restricts routing in one direction, and acts as a signalling block (ie trains can/will wait there).

The sign we are asking for would only do the former, not the latter.

It's not a sign that would be used often - but when dealing with complex track layouts, trying to have multiple routes interacting efficiently, it's definitely something there is a use for later in the games as rail networks get complex. Using a one-way-normal-signal in the middle of station throat can easily cause deadlocks, with trains stopped straddling 4 or 5 tracks. At present we resort to bridges and tunnels to do what could more easily be done with a one-way-sign, if we had one.

Ters

I just tested the one-way sign in pak64, and the train reserved straight past it. If you get different results, I believe it must be an error in the pak, not the game.

prissi

Trains can use oneway signs, as those only change the allowed directions. If those are no signals, they wont form blocks.