News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Windows 7 64 bit problem

Started by killwater, February 17, 2012, 08:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

killwater

Hello
I've just installed 10.9 version on Windows 7 64 bit version and it is completly unplayable. It looks like eating all resources. I have I5-2430 so this should be working better then on my previous configuration. I have 25% load on CPU. Switching fast speed couses droping it to zero. Any help?

Markohs

Wich version you downloaded, the windows GDI or the SDL?

killwater

Well,  to be honest I dont know :). The one from How to get simutrans experimental thread: complete package.

jamespetts

Killwater,

thank you for your report, and apologies that you are having trouble. I have to say, however, I cannot reproduce this: I use Windows 7 64-bit myself, and do not have difficulties. If Simutrans-Experimental is using 25% of your CPU, however, this seems to be a reasonable figure, as it is quite CPU intensive. I am not sure what you mean when you write that using fast forward makes it drop to zero - can you elaborate?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

ӔO

I think I can comment on the fast forward bit.

When the CPU is heavily loaded up and fast forward is used, instead of displaying the usual 5x, 20x, etc. It will display ~0.00. The fast forward function will only go as fast as the CPU will allow, but if there is not much headroom to begin with, then it won't go any faster than the normal 1x speed, so the game will instead display ~0.00.

My AMD E-350 netbook will do that on really large maps that have just been loaded.

As far as I can tell, the I5-2430, is this I5-2430M?, is dual core with dual hyper-threading and turbo, so 25% CPU usage would mean 100% saturation of a single CPU, I guess. If this has turbo, it should clock a single core to 3Ghz, which should be very fast for simutrans, so I don't understand how the CPU can't handle simutrans.

Maybe the CPU is throttling for some reason? My E-350 on win7 64bit can handle up to 3x in fast forward for large and crowded maps like the online game. Not that it feels playable in the first place.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

killwater

Thanks everyone for replies.
AEO: It is exactly right as you say with fastforward and indeed it is I5-2430M. I've checked and I have 3FPS when in normal speed mode.
This I5 CPU shouldn't be slower than my previous Q6600. Throttling shouldn't be an isue as fan is spinning on second speed only.
Can it be graphic card issue? I think I will check it under Xubuntu and then report back...

P.S.
I checked it and under Xubuntu on intel HD graphics fast forward makes 40-60x. It must be some windows issue.

P.S.2
Ok this issue looks like it solved itself. I dont really know what was wrong. After rebooting from Xubuntu it  started to work correctly.  If it happens again and if I will find any new info I will let you know.
After some playing it looks better but still not good. It is possible to use fast forward to some extent (up to 20x) but scrolling and building is very slow and not smooth. What is intresting everything is smooth when playing on fast forward.
CPU is working on 3GHz during the gameplay. 

Thanks for help.

jamespetts

Glad that you have managed to fix your issue!

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Carl

killwater:

(a) How much RAM do you have?
(b) What size map are you running?
(c) How many convoys are on the map?

Just trying to get a sense of whether the figures you report are atypical or to be expected.

killwater

Hello
(a) 4GB
(b) 1920x1920
(c) Doesn't matter with 1 and 40 it is the same

Carl

My laptop runs a broadly similar spec (slightly slower processor, actually) and yet with a 1920*1920 map I can fast-forward at around 50-60x. So something appears to be up...

killwater

Worst is that it work terrible at 1x and brilliant on 20x...

killwater

I've just came up with an idea to check if regular simutrans work well. It works brilliant. Even to fast.
CPU load at about 20-25%. With experimental 52-55%
It seems that the problem is strictly experimental related. Is experimental much more CPU hungry?

jamespetts

Expeimental is indeed more CPU intensive in a number of ways.  That would not explain, however, why it is worse on this configuration than your previous configuration.

dustNbone

Noticed you have Ubuntu installed, have you tried running the Linux version of Simutrans?  I've personally noticed a fairly solid performance gain over Windows 7 (20-30% more fps)  Even the Windows version running under WINE seems to do better than under native Windows, though it could just be something in my configuration as well.  Just thinking there may be something up with your Windows install (not uncommon).

killwater

Yes, it was better then Win7, but after restart it got better in Win7 too. But still hard to play.
I do believe it is not a FPS problem as I get about 12 FPS on 1x speed and 10 FPS on fast forward (about 20x) and everything works great on fast forward.

killwater

I don't know what is changed in the newest RC version but it started to work perfectly. Thank you very much for hard work guys!!!

jamespetts