News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Goods list and More Comfort -> Lower Revenue

Started by dannyman, February 18, 2012, 06:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyman

The Goods List tool shows some promise, but a few questions could be answered in the Help:

- Distance: is this tiles or km?  Station detail tells me there is a station 50km away.  (A tile is 250m...)
- Speedbonus: is this the speed of the convoy or the speed of the convoy relative to the speedbonus?
- Generally, it would be nice if I could type numbers in, instead of clicking A LOT.

So, I'm trying to figure out why my expensive luxury trains aren't getting more luxurious revenue.

Year is 1974, and because of convoy spacing the trains all average around 80 kph (maybe I need to drop the slower trains and just run with faster trains and a tighter schedule.)

The cheaper trains have comfort 83. (BR Class 104 DMU)
Fancier trains comfort 126. (Mk 2 Tourist carriages)

The Goods list tool says that at Distance = 50:
If comfort = 83, passenger revenue = $11.47
If comfort = 126, passenger revenue = $10.03

Catering level seems to have no impact until distance = 90.  I guess I can ditch the snack car.  But is this intentional that passenger revenue drop on the nicer cars or is this a bug?

Speedbonus: If I enter -23 then it says "Speedbonus rail 80 km/h" and I get $8.44 at comfort 83.  $7.50 at comfort 126.

I guess the REVENUE is in making the trains run faster.  (Maybe British in 1974 are Communists who eschew luxurious carriages. :)

Thanks,
-danny

Carl

Quote from: dannyman on February 18, 2012, 06:27:50 AM
- Generally, it would be nice if I could type numbers in, instead of clicking A LOT.

Yes -- this also goes for the "local/medium/long-distance passengers" tab in the settings window. I tried to change the latter last week but with no joy. May have a look again soon.

Milko

Hello

The distance is in km. Although I had made ​​the same request. Maybe someone can work on the subject.
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=8231.msg77916#msg77916

Giuseppe

jamespetts

Thank you for spotting this: this was a bug in the code used to calculate comfort when the comfort had reached the maximum level beyond which no further improvement in comfort will increase revenue (the comfort level at which this occurs increases as the journey time increases). I have now fixed this on my 10.x branch.

Note, however, to calculate the correct yield per passenger, you also need to adjust the speed bonus figure to match your speed - in this case (in 1974), using -23 will give you a speed of 80km/h, and so enable you to calculate your revenue per passenger correctly.

And, Carl, if you are able to improve the GUI in the goods list window, that would be very good indeed (no pun intended)!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

dannyman

Quote from: carlbaker on February 18, 2012, 09:43:25 AM
Yes -- this also goes for the "local/medium/long-distance passengers" tab in the settings window. I tried to change the latter last week but with no joy. May have a look again soon.

Thank you for your effort.  If you try again, perhaps you could:
- Set Help text or tool tip confirming that distance is in km
- Can we enter speed instead of offset-from-speed-bonus?  It seems way more straightforward, but would involve moving math from my head into the code. :)

Cheers,
-danny