News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Transparency for station name labels

Started by marioxcc, December 04, 2008, 05:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marioxcc

Some times, the station labels hide some important chunk of the map (Like a intersection), i suggest add a feature who can turn on/off transparency of stations labels.

gauthier

It already exists, doesn't it ?  :-\

press key 3 will switch transparency of buildings.

marioxcc

Read with detail the first message. I are talking about station label transparency not building transparency.

whoami

Station labels cannot be made transparent, but they can be hidden (key Shift-1 or !).

marioxcc

Quote from: whoami on December 04, 2008, 09:19:50 PM
Station labels cannot be made transparent, but they can be hidden (key Shift-1 or !).
No in the current version, but it can be implemented, AFAIHR SDL support transparency.
If simutrans was writed in C i can impĺement it, but is not the case, it it writed in C++ who is very different.

VS

How is transparency on/off different from visibility on/off - if you just want to see something behind label?

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

gauthier

I don't support this idea, station labels are small (if you rename it with a correct name). Add transparency could slow the CPU.

DirrrtyDirk

I also seem to fail seeing the need for it. They can be toggled on/off - all I'll ever* need these labels to do: be there, or don't be there.

*) Although sometimes I wished for an option that would allow me to freely choose which tile of the station, the label is attached to.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

marioxcc

Quote from: VS on December 05, 2008, 09:12:20 AM
How is transparency on/off different from visibility on/off - if you just want to see something behind label?
With transparency you can view the label, and the ground at the same time.
Quote from: gauthier on December 05, 2008, 06:22:26 PM
Add transparency could slow the CPU.
Well, only if you have a 80386@16 MHz ;).
Transparency is alredy present in simutrans when you press v, and it do not seem to slow the CPU, at least no my CPU (Intel Core 2 Quad 2400 MHh, 800 MHz FSB 8)).

prissi

Simutrans requires a 486 or zou have to compile it yourself ...

But on a different note: As most people do not see any use in it, I will not spend my time on looking into that.

gauthier

QuoteAdd transparency could slow the CPU.
Well, only if you have a 80386@16 MHz Wink.
Transparency is alredy present in simutrans when you press v, and it do not seem to slow the CPU, at least no my CPU (Intel Core 2 Quad 2400 MHh, 800 MHz FSB Cool).

I mean that if many small and not very useful things are aded, it could slow certains CPU. I have Intel centrino dual core and ST is often a bit slow.

whoami

IMO: Station labels would be unreadable if they were transparent on a non-uniform background. On a uniform background, they don't really block the view.

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on December 05, 2008, 06:26:41 PM
*) Although sometimes I wished for an option that would allow me to freely choose which tile of the station, the label is attached to.
Currently, it seems to be attached to the oldest tile of the stop (out of the tiles that are currently covered). Instead, it could be the last tile, so the player has control it, or a tile next to the center of the stop.

IgorEliezer

Hi all,

In my humble opinion, I don't see what transparency for station name labels could improve significaly to see what is behind... Either I could press ! key or drag game view.

Such "labels" cover a small area of game view, not considering there's a text in it. Even such text (the stop name) was transparent too, it wouldn't increase so much visibility of game. It is not because stop catchment areas are transparent that stop names must too. Catchment areas are there just to show how a stop covers the map.

That's my opinion. :)

EDIT: I've just renamed this topic from "Station labels" to "Transparency for station name labels", because previous topic title was not clear enough and doesn't fit in topic subject.

marioxcc

Quote from: gauthier on December 06, 2008, 03:32:58 PMI have Intel centrino dual core and ST is often a bit slow.
I have a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2400 MHz, 800 MHz FSB 8), and simutrans do not slow 1% my computer, well... only about 20%-30% when creating new maps.