News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

The cost of tunnels/bridges

Started by ojii, March 02, 2012, 01:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ojii

I often find that simutrans is unbalanced when it comes to bridges/tunnels vs routes that adapt to the terrain. I see the reason in this in the linear costs of those structures.

I think that tunnel and bridge costs should not be linear, but rather be calculated using two factors:

- length: The cost should be non-linear when it comes to length. For example a 2 tile tunnel might cost 100c, but a 20 tile tunnel should not be 1000c but more something like 2000c.
- depth/height: The higher a bridge tile is above the ground (or the deeper a tunnel tile is underground), the more it should cost. And again I believe the cost increase should not be linear. For bridges over water, the sea floor should be counted, not the sea level. For tunnels under the sea, the sea level should be used.

As far as I know, this is how it works in real life. You can't just take the costs of a 10 meter bridge over a shallow river and then assume that a 10 km bridge over the ocean just costs 1000 times that.

Of course this will have a major impact on balancing paksets, but I believe it would be worth it.

jamespetts

How exactly would the cost of this be represented to a player before embarking on these potentially expensive projects?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

omikron

This was discussed widely for Experimental here: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=9185.0

Basically, the conclusion was that no change was desirable at the moment.

omikron