News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

BR class 390 pendolino discrepencies

Started by ӔO, March 08, 2012, 01:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ӔO

From what I can tell, there is no individual car information available, but there is for the set.

In the game, a 9 car set has only 4275kW of power and weighs 441t. According to the real life specs, it should have 5100kW of power with 466t of weight.

There also seems to be an error in which cars have power and which do not.

Game (bolded most likely wrong):
Front, 855kW, 53t
Front coach, 0kW, 52t
Front pantograph, 855kW, 51t

Unpowered coach, 0kW, 43t
Powered coach, 855kW, 43t

Rear pantograph, 855kW, 51t
Rear coach, 0kW, 52t
Rear, 855kW, 53t

Probable real life formation:

Front, 850kW, 54t
Front coach, 850kW, 53t
Front pantograph, 0kW, 51t

Powered coach, 850kW, 53t
Powered coach, 850kW, 53t

Rear pantograph, 0kW, 51t
Rear coach, 850kW, 53t
Rear, 850kW, 54t

Also, this concerns experimental more, but it seems like the total tractive effort is 204kN, according to the german wiki page.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

The Hood

Is the real life data for the 9 car or 11 car set? Some trains have recently been lengthened...

ӔO

I would assume the specs for the 9 car set is 5100kW at 466t.

The 11 car set probably has 5950kW at 562t by the addition of another set of motor and trailer cars.

otherwise, it would be a bit weird to have less total power than a class 91

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Thank you for the report. AEO - may I ask: what is the reason that you arrive at the particular figures that you do for the specific vehicles?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

ӔO

@james
looking at the TOPS code, the configuration is M-M-T-M-T-M-T-M-M, where M is motor car and T is trailer.
So there are 6 motor cars to 3 trailer cars.
If there is 5100kW total, then it's simply a matter of dividing 5100 by 6, which gives 850kW per motor car.

For the weight, driving end/cab cars are generally very slightly heavier, around 500kg to 2000kg, than a comparable regular car. Pantograph/power collection cars generally carry all or most of the electronics that convert and distribute the power to the motor coaches, so they also end up being a similar weight to a regular motor car. - This is also why you generally don't see pantograph cars that are also motor cars because they become too heavy. There are, however exceptions, like splitting the electronics package between two cars to lessen the weight on one.-  Some things, like air conditioning, add even more weight.

But I'm more or less guessing the weight by looking at the total of 466t and dividing it amongst 9 cars with the above in mind.

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Thank you - that is most helpful. Would we be correct to divide the total tractive effort in the 9-car formation by the 6 motor cars to get 34Kn per motor unit?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

ӔO

@james

I would guess so. However, the german wiki page doesn't really give any source as to where it got 204kN of tractive effort from. To me, 204kN total seems a bit low, because a similar train, ICE T has 1000kW of power and 50kN of tractive effort per powered coach. I would guess the class 390 has around 40kN per coach for a total of 240kN.

generally, a higher top speeds means the motor is geared for speed rather than tractive effort. Pretty similar to how steam locomotives use larger driving wheels for higher top speed at the cost of tractive effort.

Colour safe chart: