News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

BR class 373 has too much power, 378 has too little power

Started by ӔO, March 10, 2012, 10:16:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ӔO

BR class 373 eurostar has twice the amount of power it has in real life.
I think it's just a simple mistake of giving 12240kW to both head units.

I think this is a minor point, but it also has a wheel arrangement of (Bo'Bo'+Bo'2'2'2'2'2'2'2'2'2'+2'2'2'2'2'2'2'2'2'Bo'+Bo'Bo') or 6 powered bogies, which gives 2040kW of power to each.
This would give 4080kW of power to each head unit and 2040kW to the powered coaches, which would put it in line with the 4000kW TGV power cars.

There is also a weight discrepancy.

In game, 20 car formation has 692t, but in real life it is 752t
In game, 16 car formation has 576t, but in real life it is 665t

However, I can't get the numbers between the two to agree without some extreme weights used between the head unit, powered and unpowered coaches. (122t head unit, 70t powered coach and 23t unpowered coaches simply doesn't sound right at all.)

My guess is the axle load is around 20 to 22t/axle, which would limit the head units to around 80~88t, the powered cars up to 60t and the unpowered cars to around 40t.

---

BR class 378 capitalstar, london overground stock

I think these are configured in a Bo'A1 wheel arrangement with 200kW per powered axle. (Again, no solid specs to be found). This would give it 600kW per powered car and a 4 car formation would have 1800kW total. 600kW per car would be similar to the other electrostar family of trains. I suspect it's designed to have a very high rate of acceleration and deceleration so that travel times can be shortened on a set of tracks with frequent stops and so that it can get out of the way of higher priority trains in a hurry.

currently, as it is in the game, it has 250kW for the cab cars, 500kW for the middle cars and no trailer cars.
It should be Motor-Trailer-Motor for the 3 car formation and M-T-M-M for the 4 car formation.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Thank you very much for this - these will be fixed in the next version!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

ӔO

I have found some good info for where the missing weight comes from http://www.therailwaycentre.com/Recognition Tech Data EMU/EMU_373.html

it looks like class 373 keeps within the 17t axle load limit of LGV tracks.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

kierongreen

Incidentally therailwaycentre was one of the major sources of technical data for pak128.Britain originally - it's entirely possible there are discrepancies between that and wikipedia for example.

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

All of the power weight issues you have raised should now be fixed in standard (not that it makes much difference there because of gear factors)