News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Screenshots of PAK128.german

Started by michelstadt, March 23, 2012, 08:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on May 02, 2020, 01:47:51 PM
Ahhhhh, so does that produce "deceased people" as a good, and also have a decent passenger (recovered) level? :)
I started reading this thread "oh beautiful art pieces!" then "this thread is getting too dark." :x

pumuckl999

OK, more colorful and maybe more peaceable (I didnt know, what meat the horses like ;)):

Four locos from the V160 series (BR210, BR216 and BR218 in two color and power-variation):

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/DB-Baureihe_V_160
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bc/06095_Monumentenhalle_BPfE_Pfw_1.jpg

Tram wagon is the first part of tram, bus and maybe subway in Berlin, found on this page: http://www.berliner-verkehrsseiten.de/museum/Fahrzeuge/museum_tramway/museum_tramway.html

pumuckl999

First Berlin trams:

TypTF21S in Front can be coupled with the trailer from T24 and the trailer in the background.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/BVG_TF_21_S
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/GBS_Berolina-Wagen

pumuckl999

Berlin subway, series A and B from 1901 and 1924:

ampersand

the 1924 looks a bit S-Bahn et166  ???. which is already in game. The same designer or producer?

pumuckl999

I didnt know: Somtimes parts of the wagons of urban railway were used for the wagons of subway. And the series of the berlin subways not only contains subseries (for example B I, B II...from subway), every (sub-)series has wagons with different details, different look. Maybe somtimes the builder uses all body parts, they could get?

C-series from Berlin subway and D38 Büssing:

pumuckl999

pumuckl999

Two similar baggage wagons, MPw4yge-50 and MDyg 986:

pumuckl999

Two freight wagons, OOmk from 1890 and Snps719 from1980:

ampersand

Was it already that rusty from 1890?  ???

Mariculous

It's not rusty. It was simply painted in that ugly color.

RealAmerican1776

Hello, I am making a Pak256.America-Ex, and I believe I could use the Berlin Subway trains for the early New York City rolling stock.

For example, an AB Standard from 1915:

Do you use Blender for your work and if so can you upload the blender files for those trains? It would be a big help. Thank you.

pumuckl999

Ugly color is RAL 8012, redbrown. Often I try to use the colors from https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAL-Eisenbahnfarben
In models sometimes the colors are darker, if I used ambient occlusion and/ or a dirtmap.

I use 3dsMax 2010 (yes, it´s old)  for my models. But I have exported the three models to .dae (open collada). Hope, that works in Blender.
Diffuse maps were doubled during export. No idea, whats the reason, but you should see in your modeller, which material is the right one.

https://filehorst.de/d/dGgqxnHw

/ I was wrong: second diffuse map is from the trailers :).

RealAmerican1776

Thank you. I have some more work to do before I start on locomotives but I will check it out then. Coleada files should work on Blender. Again thank you.

Andyh

@pumuck1999.  I really love your models.  I've made a few crude models for Simutrans in Blender and I  wanted to seek your advice on how to deal with a recurring and (so far) intractable rendering problem I have.  Realize you don't use Blender but I think this might be a common challenge in all modeling for Simutrans. Your renders look as though they are anti-aliased which relates to my issue.

The problem is that when I render with anti-aliasing turned on the render acquires a 1-2 pixel ring around the model where the background color isn't the perfect Simutrans 'transparent' shade.  Therefore when its "in game" the rendering has a thin light blue "halo" around it, making it unusable.  I have not figured out a good way of dealing with this problem.  My only solution has been to turn off anti-aliasing entirely which solves the haloing but means a lot of the detail on the model is lost or distorted.  Have you had this issue and how did you deal with it?

RealAmerican1776

I have had the same issue. What I do is at the render screen, Change Color and Alpha at the bottom of the screen to just color (the second option) go to window and click Save Screenshot.  Make sure in the zoom you leave at least a little bit of the grey background (not the black but behind it) under and above the black. Then use your paint software and get the black background by itself by moving the picture and shrinking it. Finally scale it to your image size so for a train just 128 x 128. This process removes the halo around the object. I would also like to hear from @pumuck1999

Mariculous

The special transparency color is obsolete.
You can simply render with alpha channel without any background.

RealAmerican1776

Mariculous

Simply set the output format to png RGBA

You can read about the rendering workflow of pak128.britain-ex, involving a special script to render all of the perspectives here.
You might want to adjust it to fit your paksets sprite size.

RealAmerican1776

pumuckl999

At first: I´m not an expert in rendering. I´ve created some years models for a nautical simulator. It´s like 3D game development: Exporting for the game engine, no renderings required. So I can remember, that I has the same problem at starting with simutrans. I tried some different renderers and options of them to get no halo effect....

Hope, the screenshot with renderer and options can help. I´ve forgotten the impotant switch. Since the first successful try the renderer is saved in my max-templates.
Background: If I need a special color, I can define it in Max with RGB-values (231,255,255 for Simutrans). If I wish alpha channel for the background, I use an option for saving the renderings as .png - not in the renderer.

Above is only for the simutrans .png. For the bigger screenshots in forums I use an other renderer... with antialias

RealAmerican1776

Man it really is that simple! Well crap I've been doing this all wrong for years!

Never mind, I am still seeing a halo around the object, I downloaded the script but I don't use the new version of Blender so I don't have access to where to put the script. I'm going to try 3dsMax myself. Maybe it's time for a new program

pumuckl999

I can´t suggest, that blender can not render without the halo effect. 3dsMax is only an other tool. And I´m not sure, if it is better.
Maybe Blender has a bigger community? I think, that´s an important point to get fast help.

With different versions I had btw also more than once problems.... For example I could use Max2015, but the plugin to compute the snow for buildings  doesn't exist for this version. I know, that I could compute the snow without this plugin. But that means more mouseclicks, more time to finish the model :).
And I can´t use a newer version, if I want to use parts of my existing models - so far as I know Max can only open max-files from five versions before.

From development, unfinished:

RealAmerican1776

Yeah maybe on second thought I know how to use blender, I installed the free trial of 3dsmax, a minute and then I uninstalled it because I didn't know where any of the controls are and I don't want to learn something new. Besides, all of my models are made on Blender and switching this late in the game seems kind of silly to me.

Andyh

QuoteThe special transparency color is obsolete.
You can simply render with alpha channel without any background.

Thanks.  I know how to render with transparency in Blender but I was under the impression that the transparent workflow had not yet been implemented in Simutrans.  Are you saying that I can use a PNG file that has a transparent background with the latest version of MakeObj to create a pak file? 

Quote from: pumuckl999 on September 01, 2020, 09:58:42 PMAbove is only for the simutrans .png. For the bigger screenshots in forums I use an other renderer... with antialias

Thank you for your answer.  I understand your point about rendering for Simutrans vs larger renders for general purposes.  That said I was intrigued by the suggestion that maybe the special Simutrans transparent color was obsolete.  When you create Simutrans PAK files for vehicles do you use PNG's with Alpha or with "Simutrans transparent cyan" in the background?

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Gentle reminder to all not to "doublepost" - two posts in a row from you within the past 24 hours. Only if a post is long is it acceptable to break it up. But in this thread, two folks had quick followups that should have gone into one post, and I have merged them. :)

pumuckl999

Also my foto editor is very old and has problems with alpha channel. So I use normally the simutrans-blue (RGB 231,255,255) for the background.

If I open renderings with alha channel, the transparent part of an image is not transparent, it´s only masked in my foto editor. I use this effect for rendering the UVs. So I can easy separate them from the background, important without alpha channel :).

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Two bavarian wagons: Ci3 Bay 99 and C4 Bay 04.

Andyh

Thank you Freahk and pumuck1999 for your help with my question.  ...and IEH for fixing my double-post.

I tried creating a pak with a PNG containing alpha last night and it worked perfectly!

The functionality is great but I'm a little disappointed by the stealth with which it was introduced.  I keep a fairly close watch on the Simutrans change log and didn't recall this being mentioned, so I went and checked the log right back to 2012 and sure enough there's no mention of this feature. I'm sure there must be other content builders who would have benefited from this knowledge.