News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

airport loading areas

Started by iorso, December 09, 2008, 05:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iorso

my airport has many loading areas.
the planes always use only one (the one I chosed during the scheduling).
in this case for trains you can use 'choose signals' for different platform... but there aren't signal for the airports!

jbode

Are they connected to the taxiway? Do the other bays belong to the same stop? For me its working fine ... no need for extra signs.

iorso

ooppsss  yes yes now it works! i'm sorry!

just one more question about the airports:
what's about the runway lenght? any limitations for jumbos? which is the minimun lenght needed?

wipi35

Quote from: iorso on December 09, 2008, 06:52:19 PM
what's about the runway lenght? any limitations for jumbos? which is the minimun lenght needed?

AFAIK there are no limitations on runway length for different types of airplanes. But I always try to let it look a bit realistic!

vilvoh

Quote from: iorso on December 09, 2008, 06:52:19 PM
which is the minimun lenght needed?

We investigated this issue in the ES language board, and the conclusion we get (quite obvious indeed) is that minimun lenght is 3 tiles. One to take off, another to land and one in the middle that conects the runaway with the taxiway.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

jamespetts

Hmm, a minimum length runway for each type of aircraft would be a useful advance in that case...
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: vilvoh on January 08, 2009, 01:34:13 PM
... and the conclusion we get (quite obvious indeed) is that minimun lenght is 3 tiles.

That's exactly right, :) and it works even with very fast airplanes, though it might look a bit unrealistic... :-\ :(

vilvoh

While developing the freight plane pak, I've realized that long runways just allow planes to have more space to brake/accelerate while landing or taking off, so they can reach up to the needed speed (cruise or max. speed, I actually don't know which one)

Václav

My problem is similar to the first post, but no the same:

I use one runway for arriving planes and one runway for departing planes. That's OK but when I build any other runways, planes use still only one runway - mainly original one.

Also one thing could be improved (added): to have chance to set direction of runways - not only for arrives/departs, also for arriving/departing from/to north or south and from/to west or east (directions are called in basic view of map, not isometric).

Because in one game I had airpost on eastern end of map but all planes flew to the west - so they went on runway to the east but after leaving runway they had turn around to the west.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

vilvoh

I think somebody made an extension request in that sense, but I can't remember now if it was accepted, considered or rejected. Anyway, have you tried to use the signals (one way, no pass, etc..) to redirect the airport traffic?

EDIT:
Have a look at this from the archive, it's a Prissi's quote:
QuoteUsing one way signs it should be possible to have a tak off runway and a landing runway.

So in theory, what you requested is already possible.

I've also found this quote from Airports, Runways, Taxiways & Planes (archive)
QuoteI believe that having only one plane on one runway is already implemented in the newest 99.16 version...
Please check it out   
But actually that's not true. Perhaps they disable it in following versions (99.17 or higher)

In reference to setting runaway direction, at Improve airport runway usage (archive) says that's already implemented, but I can't confirm it. There's also a pak128 screenshot that shows a great airport design, it may help you.

You can also download one-way markers for pak128 here. They might be already included in the official release.

That's all... :)

Václav

1. I have used one-way markers for setting runways for only landing and taking off for very long time.

2. One-way markers - they are in game in form of arrows on land (but when plane is upon them, they are over plane and it looks crazy).

3. disabling one way - one plane: it was not good and it could be added back - because on very great airports planes are dancing upon arrive end of landing runway and no one can land. I think I could find one screenshot of this.

4. Comment to this screenshot:

A. It seems be from called version 99.16.
B. I often stick airports to central railstation (as it could be seen on this:
) and I don't understand how airport from the first screenshot could run as one. For increasing capacity (regardless of effect for airport is small - but capacity of railstation is increased very much) of airport I often stick them to central railstation (bit visible on my screenshot)

vilvoh

Quote from: VaclavMacurek on January 28, 2009, 01:38:25 PM
[..] but when plane is upon them, they are over plane and it looks crazy).

It has already been reported and I'm afraid it's unsolvable. It's due to the way signals are implemented in Simutrans. You got more details here.

Quote from: VaclavMacurek on January 28, 2009, 01:38:25 PM
3. disabling one way - one plane: it was not good and it could be added back - because on very great airports planes are dancing upon arrive end of landing runway and no one can land. I think I could find one screenshot of this.

In that case, all you need is to make an extension request... :)

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: vilvoh on January 28, 2009, 02:02:44 PM
It has already been reported and I'm afraid it's unsolvable. It's due to the way signals are implemented in Simutrans.

Well, it could probably be solved by using some other graphics than those arrows for this purpose.

---

Also for directions: airplanes (in real life) choose their runways for the direction of the wind - not from where they want to go. So having them take off towards the East even tough they are actually going to a destination in the West isn't all that unrealistic... so just imagine the wind is blowing and deal with it.  ;)

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

VS

As to the arrows - this can not be fixed on pak level.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

vilvoh

I guess DirrrtyDirk is refering to use vertical instead of horizontal signals..may not be realistic, but signals would be placed behind the planes.

DirrrtyDirk

Actually I meant using signs/signals on the side (as expected by simutrans) rather then painting arrows on the taxiway...

vilvoh

Those are called vertical signs...exactly what I said... ::)

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: vilvoh on January 28, 2009, 10:05:43 PM
Those are called vertical signs...exactly what I said... ::)

Then I misunderstood you, sorry.

And as for realism... in reality there is a sign on the side, not paint on the way itself - although it's kinda hard to recreate the real one for Simutrans (I tried in pak128 size and I'm not completely satisfied yet).

Václav

Quote from: vilvoh on January 28, 2009, 02:02:44 PM
... I'm afraid it's unsolvable.

Some whiles ago I have got great idea how to solve it:

to create one-way taxiway element (taxiway with included one-way marker) - and eliminate separated one-way markers. I think it could be way how to solve it. Then arrows on taxiway could be right (they should not be seen upon planes).

But it is right way? - because one type will be for one-way movement on airport and one type will be for loading/unloading places, depots and both-ways movement. Runways would stay as they are.

vilvoh

Well, actually it's not completly unsolvable...take a look at these comments from pak128 release announcement:
Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on January 28, 2009, 10:17:16 PM
* We might solve that by taking a completely different approach to that signal, as I said in another thread. It probably won't be solved by 100% (at least not for large aircraft) but we might make it much less obvious after all.
Quote from: prissi on January 28, 2009, 10:22:39 PM
Signals are solveable mostly, they belong to the exit of a tile.
Quote from: VS on January 28, 2009, 10:39:33 PM
Signals can be fixed, at a cost of repaint, or experimenting. [..]
Quote from: VS on January 29, 2009, 10:36:15 AM
[..] As to signals, that is caused by making one-way signals that "allow" passage instead of "forbidding". Maybe it could be fixed by moving the poles to the entrance of tile? I tried to repair all, only these one way are still broken.

The solution is easy if you use vertical signs, but as DirtyDirrrk says, I reallly don't know if it's worth...you should make some tests.

Your solution has a problem, if you include the marker in the taxyway, you will have one marker for each taxyway tile, so the set might look strange (arrows attack ==> ==> ==>)

Therefore, imho the simplest solution would be to find a good vertical one-way sign for taxyways..