News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

[Pak96.Comic] Mountain Challenge [Scenario]

Started by checksumdigit, April 09, 2012, 02:44:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

checksumdigit

I've build a scenario for 96c since there aren't any. I thought it was going to be really challenging, but after I tried it, it wasn't very hard. I spent a lot of time making the map, so hopefully I can figure out how to make a better scenario out of it.

Basically you just need to connect the coal mine to the power plant. Your challenge is the terrain. I thought a starting budget of 500,000 dollars would make it a challenge for trains, but you could easily win by buying a few trucks to haul the coal.

Also, seems I may have found a bug. once I complete the goal for the scenario, it crashed the game. If anyone else can try to reproduce this, we should log a bug for the scenarios.

Now I'm thinking maybe it should be a passenger goal? move lots of passengers so you have to play for a while.

Please try it if you have time! I would like any feedback on what would make a good scenario, so hopefully we can include it in the next pak.96c release.

To install the scenario, copy the .SVE and .TAB files to the Pak96c/scenario directory.

Dwachs

Lovely map! I like how you placed those small houses in the forests.

It crashes as soon as the finance window is opened. Try

# this is the factory for the objective
factorypos=33,99

to specify which factory to supply.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

isidoro

Very nice screenshot.  The town is not probably over 2000 inhabitants, why don't you participate in this month's contest?

SMSC April 2012 Edition: Small cities

checksumdigit

Thanks Dwachs, I implemented the change and didn't have any more crashes either. Looks like scenarios need a little more documentation, at least so you know which factory to choose for the #3 type scenario.

Did you have a try at completing the scenario? It is too easy if you choose to transport the coal with trucks. My idea was a train connection between the coal mine and power plant. But you can't force the scenario for only 1 way type. Do you think moving passengers would be more challenging for the scenario than the coal connection?

checksumdigit

Ok, I've changed the scenario to a passenger transport game and set the goal at 6500 (per month). I tried this scenario out and it is a lot more challenging as there aren't even that many residents on the map at the start of the scenario. So you are forced to play for at least 4 to 6 years game time.

Give the updated scenario a shot and let me know if there is anything that can be improved.

sojo

"English is a easy language. But not for me." ;) sojo

follow simutrans_de on Twitter
- A home for Simutrans (in german)

Rohal

Hi checksumdigit,

it is a very nice map. I finished the goal by the end of July 1980. It is the first time that I had a look at pak96.c and I really like the style. Normally I use pak128 or pak128.german. But I will give pak96.c another try.
Screenshot will be attached.
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/simscr02.png

Greets

Rohal

checksumdigit

Thank you Rohal for your reply.

Quote from: Rohal on April 15, 2012, 07:39:10 PM
I finished the goal by the end of July 1980.
It sounds like it was not much of a challenge because you finished quickly. Should it be more challenging? what transportation did you use to complete the goal? I'm thinking about reducing the player starting funds to $300k instead of $1M.

Quote from: sojo on April 14, 2012, 05:49:20 PMLooks very well.  8)
Thank you Sojo, please consider as a scenario or demo.sve for the next pak96c release.

I will keep working on it to make it better.

Rohal

Hi checksumdigit,

for the innercity transport I used buses. To transport passangers between the cities I decided to use trams.
It might help to reduce the starting money to make the game a bit harder.
It also would be nice to know how the number of passengers is counted. As you can see in the screenshot I transported at the end of July in complete 18k pax.

Greets

Rohal