News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Diary of an Entrepreneur, Part 1

Started by Roads, April 13, 2012, 08:05:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roads

I'll offer the city of Wesley, specifically their church and new and old bridges.  Here is the pic and the story:

City of Wesley, population 1810

The few but devout citizens of Wesley had long yearned for a place to worship.  They had their eye on the land adjacent to the old wooden bridge.  It was cheap because no one wanted to live or have a business next to the bridge.  It was noisy.  Their preacher, a short, stout man with a booming voice, assured his congregation that he could be heard above the rumbling of the bridge.  Moreover, he said, there wouldn't be much traffic on Sunday morning.  Anyway, the land next to the river was practically sacred to them.  It was where they had baptized new members for many years.  They bought the land around the bridge and devised plans for a suitable church.

When plans were announced for a new bridge and the old one to be torn down, it caused a great controversy in the city.  Developers were talking about an expensive subdivision on the river.  "You can make a fortune," one was heard saying.  The devout were worried that either they would have to sell or pay excessively high land taxes.  The historians were upset because as they put it, somewhat dramatically, "that has historically been our link to the lands beyond the river."  The huge population of tree huggers were divided.  Some thought it merely a monument to waste, (trees used where other materials could have been), while the more pragmatic thought that it was too late to save those trees and the bridge was still useful so why tear it down?

An unlikely coalition formed and devised a plan.  They would build a church so close to the old bridge that the church would be damaged or possibly destroyed if the bridge were torn down.  With a frenzy unknown to folks up until that time, church goers, historians and tree huggers worked together and built a structure of stone and glass in a mere three weeks.  Their lawyer, a young man looking to make a name for himself, argued it would be religious persecution to tear the bridge down.  Additionally, he argued, the bridge had historical significance and further more, was still useful.  The judge was convinced.

The overwhelming view of historians is that the judge made the right decision.  The church became quite a boon to the local economy.  Unfortunately, some land speculators who had bought land near the bridge, lost their shirt.  Most moved to Mars Hill to work in the furniture factory.

isidoro

I like the color contrast and, of course, the story.

Roads

Many thanks Isidoro!  Like some others here, it means a lot coming from you because I like and respect your work.

alexbaettig

So what about a "Story behind the Picture Contest"? It could be an addition to the SMSC...

prissi

I very much like the Story behind a picture contest. That is an excellent suggestion imho ...

Roads

I think a story behind the picture is an excellent idea as well.  It is more specific and gives more flexibility than something so general as social/economic/cultural.

DCD

beautiful  :P     i like  the  bridge of wood :D
.             SIMUTRANS--SIMUTRANS  

mEGa

I like very much too this suggestion.
And why do we present 1 or 2 more pictures to illustrate this story as Sdog made in last SMSC (february 2012 I mean). For example :
the competitor presents 2 different pictures according to periods, and so we can tell a good story of city.
Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

Roads

@DCD

Thank you!  I like the wooden bridge as well.  It is the earliest bridge for pak128 and goes with the dirt road.  But of course you can still use the bridge with upgraded roads.

@mEGa

Good idea!  Often a story can't be shown in one picture anymore than a story can always be told in one paragraph.