News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

SMSC April 2012 Edition: Small cities

Started by vilvoh, April 01, 2012, 05:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdog

I found a photo and a little text in an old travel guide from the late sixties or seventies.

Frondsham is a small town, and being on Cheshire island it used to be reachable only by boat. The two lines from Bristol, which is the next stop, pass through. As passenger numbers dwindle for a decade now, both lines are likely to be discontinued soon.

Only two years ago a rail link to Nuneaton was built, it is suitable for light DMU only. It reaches the island in a rather unusual fashion, by heay-duty tram tracks over the old brick viaduct built in the 1920s. The speed there is very limited, but it luckily is only for about half a mile. You can get the train at Nuneaton station, four times a day, with two BR class 121 running. Frondsham is the only stop beside Nuneaton on the line.

Noone in neighbouring Warwickshire understands why such a branch line was built for so little gain -- but who knows the intentions of the politicians in the big city. The noise and hectic of Shropshire (which can be easily reached by chaning trains in Bristol) is too much for most living at the shore of Lake Livingston.

pak128.britain experimental

Vonjo

Quote from: Roads on April 14, 2012, 08:22:03 AM
Vonjo, I have to say I'm impressed with both your city and your story.  I would be more so if the city came from a real game but you have certainly demonstrated a great degree of creativity in both the city design and the story.  Actually, I loved the story.  It sounded like a well versed tourist guide who was proudly proclaiming the attributes and lore of his town.
Thanks. That city is mostly autogenetated. I just asked(abused) my computer to generate tons of cities. Then I searched for a good one, made some modifications, and created a story out of it. So, I think my computer deserve a credit for the city design, as it give me an idea for the city design (and story). ;)

vilvoh

Now I have realized that the best name for this edition had been smallville  ;D

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Roads