News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Better addon repository

Started by prissi, May 09, 2012, 10:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prissi

As you probably noticed (if you read the svn logs), the next simutrans version will have a pakset-updater (currently only windows) on board; if simutrans detects that it is started without pak sets, the updater will be started and tries to download paksets from sourceforge. But this works only for pak sets.

There is of course the (currently much updated) addons pak. OpenTTD has a relatively recent content system called "bananas" (ok, forget about the name). [The thread is also not too informative: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=41472 ] In short: Any producer of content can upload some grf (TTD pak files) there together with a standartized description, version, and a licences (and dependencies as a list of filenames).

To ensure this, one could use a form for uploading. The uploaded content would get of course a tile size designation and a pak set designation too for simturans. The image of the uploaded object would be simply rendered from the pak. Offering such a standartized (anonymous) upload means no active maintenance is required to get content to addons.simutrans.com and - in the long run - may also add chances for realizing ingame/installerwise download of stuff.

An_dz

So the addon creator could upload his creation in Simutrans addon and Simutrans could update automatically as the author updates the pak?

That's very nice, if you want some inspiration check ModTheSims, a Custom Content Repository for The Sims 2 & 3. One of the best for any game.

prissi

Honestly this is probably one of the most ugliest, or at least most overcrowded webpages I ever saw ... but for the ingame content downloader, I though rather something like OpenTTD. That would especially apply to networkgames.

If such a system would exist, the many addons lost here in the forum as attachments, and on various other places would be visible in one place. The incentive would be that simutrans automatically recognizes such content.

An_dz

It's ugly, but it's easy to find stuff. It's almost impossible to don't find what you want. And it easily show the needed expansion packs.

What I want to point as stuff that would be good to have:
Categories & sub-categories, for easy find stuff.
Thumbnail
Pakset, as where it shows the expansion pack on the site.
Incorporated. If the file is already incorporated in a pakset.

That's the important part of the process of uploading content there:
1. Choose the game. Sims 2 or 3
2. Select area, it's the main category. Ex.:Electronics
3. Select category, the sub-category. Ex.:TV's, audio
4. Rules.
5. Upload, file and images
6. Texts.

For Simutrans:
1. Choose the pakset
2. Select main category. Ex.:Ways -> Roads
3. Select sub-category. Ex.:Bridges
4. Rules
5. Upload file
6. Texts

Edit:
Reading again your comment I think I understood. The content browser is inside Simutrans, not in a website. So a stuff like OTTD is enough.

ojii

Since this needs to be hosted somewhere anyway, why not make a website too so you can browse stuff, maybe comment etc?

I'd be happy to help out with the website, since that would finally be something I could give back to the simutrans community, as I do not know C++

prissi

Ok, there is a webseite (addons.simutrasn.com) but it has not anonymous submission (when also provided with the right description) nor is game intergration possible (download list of content and so on).

ojii

Quote from: prissi on May 16, 2012, 08:55:56 PM
Ok, there is a webseite (addons.simutrasn.com) but it has not anonymous submission (when also provided with the right description) nor is game intergration possible (download list of content and so on).

I am aware of that, I meant a new and improved version that would expose it's data via an API that can be consumed by a potential in-game downloader

Ashley

I was working on something similar for the Mac version, to offer paksets as in-app downloads. I hadn't considered individual addons however. I'll be interested to see what you come up with. I won't be able to work on it again for at least another month.
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

Vonjo

I can make that kind of new addon server/repository, including the API, etc. It shouldn't be hard. I just need time to to do that. Can you donate me some time? :)
I'll try if I get some time, and if no one else do that yet.

-----
Personally, I dont quite like the idea of anonymous submission because (I'm not sure what do you mean by 'anonymous'):

If anonymous means no name: "Hey I made the pak for 3 nights without sleeping. I want my name be in the pak."

If anonymous means everyone can just upload and it can be downloaded immediately : I think we need to verify the uploaded pak first, before approval. Whether it works, whether the graphics have the correct position, wheter it is other people's work re-uploaded, etc. So the repository wont be full with broken or poor objects.

prissi

Anybody uploading does not me that we do not require a user registration beforehand. Neither it excludes moderation. But in the past we had very little trouble with such problems (I only remember two cases) thus I would be surpirsed if those suddenly appear. And the japanese wiki (which is by far the most developed repository of addons) allows everybody to submit too.

ojii

One question regarding a possible new addon hosting site. How much traffic is anticipated for this? Are there any traffic statistics available for the current repository?

Isaac Eiland-Hall

One note on traffic: My server can handle anything we need. Easily.