News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

LNWR Crewe Types and other early locos

Started by The Hood, November 04, 2012, 09:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hood

Dealing with this bug report:

Quote from: Bear789 on September 13, 2012, 09:03:01 PM

- LNWR Crewe type uses the Bloomer tender that is introduced in 1851, which is her retire date; it seems that you can still use the locomotive without problems, though. Also, the top speed of the tender is lower (85 km/h vs 90). Speaking of speed, she seems a little bit overpowered: the top speed of 90 km/h is way higher than any older engine (the fastest is 66 km/h, so it's a large gap) and still faster that the next two passenger engines (Jenny Lind - 70 km/h and Bloomer 85 km/h).

I got a little confused as to why the Crewe type is so fast. I'm hoping jamespetts can shed some light as he drew it. However some research indicates that the Crewe type came in a 2-2-2 passenger variant - e.g. "Columbine" and a 2-4-0 goods variant which was presumably slower. This may need splitting into two locos then...

Also, I'm not sure why the later 2-2-2 Bloomers should be slower - surely these are an improvement? Finally - how do the 2-2-2 Jenny Linds fit in?

jamespetts

The Crewe type that I have drawn is the passenger version, and the top speed is based on research in Ahrons. In repsect of consistency between this and other types, in Pak128.Britain-Ex, I have increased the maximum speed of the other types, too: the Bloomer now has a maximum speed of 110km/h, for example. If you want to add a goods version of the Crewe Type, that would be a useful addition: the .blend files for the Crewe type should be in my Blends repository.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

Any chance you could scan the relevant page(s)? All the other stuff I have found suggests the 2-4-0 is the goods type. Did this book give top speed data? They just seem quite rapid, that's all...

jamespetts

The version that I have drawn is the 2-2-2:

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

The Hood

Ah OK, the translation text I have says it is a 2-4-0 but that does indeed look like a 2-2-2.

jamespetts

Oops - must have been an error in the translation text. Apologies!

The Hood

OK I've fixed this in standard now. At some point it might be good to include a 2-4-0 goods version but there's no rush.

jamespetts