News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Goods traveling wrong way

Started by chicken, May 18, 2012, 02:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chicken

Playing with some goods I setup a supply chain between two pubs, a brewery and an orchard. All use piece goods transport.

Pub -------- Brewery
|                     |
|                     |
Orchard ------ Pub

(see also in attached image).

Sometimes it works. But other times I notice goods traveling the wrong way around the circle. It's much longer that way. Is this a bug? How can I prevent this/debug this?

(game too large to attach)

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

greenling

Jamespetts & chicken
The website files.simutrans-germany.com have a bug the upload from files they are biger than 7,5Mb not work!
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

jamespetts

Ahh, in that case, can you try to upload it somewhere else? It is very difficult to diagnose without a saved game, unfortunately.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

chicken

Doing this in 2 posts with RAR.

chicken

Check out Brownport pub -- it's got beer destined for Duckworth pub -- the long way around.

Thanks.

jamespetts

Having looked at this, this is not a bug. Look at Brownport Brewery Dock: the waiting time there for goods travelling to Duckworth Pub Dock is just over eleven hours. This means that, taking into account the waiting time, it is faster for goods to take the convoluted route that they do in fact take in the game. You need to increase the service frequency between Brownport Brewery Dock and Duckworth Pub Dock.

chicken

The other route involves a long boat ride too, though, going through Brownport Orchard Dock with "unknown" waiting time. How does Simutrans-ex treat "unknown" waiting time when calculating shortest route?

jamespetts

It assumes a waiting time of two minutes for an "unknown" waiting time.

greenling

Jamespetts
It´s Possible to create own waiting Time for goods,mail and passenger?
I know Places in germany there comes only one Bus on Day.
In Germany comes on Sunday no Mail but it gives Places how you can be give up Mails on Sunday.
The Mailservice at my Job it silly:
On Monday goes mail from Tuesday to the Post Office.
On Tuesday goes mail from Wednesday to the Post Office.
On Wednesday goes mail from Thursday to the Post Office.
On Thursday goes mail from Friday to the Post Office.
The Mail from Friday goes than on Monday to the Post Office.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

jamespetts

What do you mean exactly by creating one's own waiting time? The waiting time is the time recorded that goods/passengers/mail actually wait to board their convoy.

Carl

Quote from: jamespetts on May 19, 2012, 02:27:09 PM
It assumes a waiting time of two minutes for an "unknown" waiting time.

Now that the connection is being used, of course, a waiting time will eventually be registered -- and then the goods will be in a better position to pick the genuinely fastest route.

chicken

The route in question has a 100% load order, could that be leading to the "unknown" wait time? Because I have run this scenario many years into the future and it still has an "unknown" waiting time on that route.

jamespetts

If the convoy never reaches 100% and therefore never leaves, that would indeed cause it to register no waiting times.

chicken

It does leave however, it even has a travel time.

jamespetts

In which case, there is no reason in principle why a 100% load would prevent waiting times from accumulating.

chicken

I removed the 100% load orders on the two ships that serve Brownport Orchard. I have run the simulation for several in-game years but it still says that waiting times are "unknown."

jamespetts

Hmm - further investigation has revealed a more serious issue with docks, wherein boats do not properly register waiting or departure times because they do not actually stop on a tile which, when looked up, gives a handle to the halt in question. I shall have to fix this.

chicken

Thanks for checking into this. I should also note that the one boat which did have a waiting time listed was at a Canal Quay, not a dock.

jamespetts

I think that I have fixed the above identified error on the -devel branch. With the test save, waiting times are now registered in Brownport Orchard Dock, whereas they were not before.