News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Switching between paksets

Started by transporter, May 02, 2012, 02:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

transporter

One annoying thing for me is not being able to change between paksets without restarting the program. Is that possible to set up? Or maybe it's just another thing that's possible and I don't know how to...

An_dz

No, this one don't exist yet, I remember prissi told that it's better because this way Simutrans, and the pakset, are "cleaned" from the memory.

transporter

Well now when the game closes, the world is destroyed. Can't there be a reset function to bring back up the pakset choose box? I thought that the processor would only use the memory that is specifically saved for the data. If the world is destroyed, doesn't that mean the memory opens up since there's nothing assigned?

An_dz

The world is destroyed, but the pak files are still loaded, the config files too and much more. Anyway, it just need someone that can make it remove all from the memory. Not sure, but to what I know when you close the executable the OS tries to remove stuff assigned to this process from the computer memory, to use it to other processes.

Ters

Quote from: transporter on May 02, 2012, 04:04:14 AM
If the world is destroyed, doesn't that mean the memory opens up since there's nothing assigned?
Memory opens up, like a swiss cheese. And when the game needs more memory later, the new pieces of data may not fit perfectly into the holes, so it has to increase the size of the "cheese".

Carl

Anecdotally, it already seems like paksets are not completely cleaned from the memory when closing Simutrans. If you load a pakset, close Simutrans, and then load it again with the same pakset, you will find that this second loading time is much shorter. This suggests that memory cleaning is not nearly total.

Markohs

Quote from: carlbaker on May 02, 2012, 09:27:55 AM
Anecdotally, it already seems like paksets are not completely cleaned from the memory when closing Simutrans. If you load a pakset, close Simutrans, and then load it again with the same pakset, you will find that this second loading time is much shorter. This suggests that memory cleaning is not nearly total.

This it's related to filesystem caching in memory by the operating system I think.

Fabio

If more than one pakset is available, Quit command could display a dialog, where you choose whether to quit for good or quit and run ST again

prissi

As stated before: Unloading a pakset in not possible in the current implementation. Just quite and restart simutrans then. It will not change, since it would be a major task to allow for unloading of a pakset and will have no gain at all.

An_dz

I liked fabio idea, just close and restart Simutrans.

transporter

Oh well. It's just for the Mac version, a Terminal window opens up with it so when I close out it just clutters the screen.