News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Industrial stations & extensions

Started by VS, May 26, 2012, 08:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roads

As far as I'm concerned, I don't care how you do it.  Everything you've done looks far better than the little blue or whatever color box we have now.

Sarlock

I'll chime in with some thoughts:
The conflict with soil/dirt roads isn't really an issue as I don't think anyone will be building a modern road freight terminal on a dirt road.  It's possible, I guess, and anyone can do it if they want, but if the player is in the least bit concerned about aesthetics, they won't do it.  (and if they don't care how it looks, they can do what they want!).
What I think would be the best solution to the issue with the paint on the ground is to select a fairly "neutral" shade of pavement and put it inside the paint marks on the road.  Pick a colour that works well with more player color selections.  Certain road types might clash a little bit with the colour, but if you pick a neutral shade of medium grey, I don't think it will be too bad.  Maybe develop a couple of different shades and we can test them and see what the best selection is.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

sdog

Quote from: Sarlock on October 10, 2012, 08:14:50 PM
The conflict with soil/dirt roads isn't really an issue as I don't think anyone will be building a modern road freight terminal on a dirt road.  It's possible, I guess, and anyone can do it if they want, but if the player is in the least bit concerned about aesthetics, they won't do it.  (and if they don't care how it looks, they can do what they want!).
+1
just keep the ground transparent as it is now.

VS

I have collected the arguments for "no asphalt":

• Dirt road is always present, but unsuitable for most vehicles
  • Gravel ends in 1930 and is replaced by first asphalt, which is more expensive to build but otherwise superior.
  • Bus stops don't have asphalt under them either.
  • "Age 2" bus stops add stripes on road in 1950, and these fail with gravel and dirt too.
  • While not said here (yet?), this version is definitely for 20th century, not all-time.
To top that list, I'll just steal the stripes from bus stops :P

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

VS

So! Where do I put something player coloured on this, so that it still tiles well?

Preview with asphalt which will not be present in final rendering:

Stripes © Fabio :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

mEGa

Why not in place of yellow lines on road ?
Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

VS

I thought about this, but... same reason as for warning marks on edge. Have you ever seen them green or violet? They are always white or yellow...

Lmallet

How about coloured bands on the crates?  Or maybe player colour bollards?

Fabio

Color stickers on the crates? In real life logistics companies would put their own stickers on the crates they haul.
Also a sign for the loading zone, like one of these: www.google.com/search?q=loading+zone+sign&btnG=&tbm=isch

Zeno

As fabio suggests I also think that a sign would be nice. Probably the PC should be drawn in the extension building next to the stop (there will be one, won't it?), although a sign would also be nice.

VS

A sign at start of stop sounds like what it needs... back to GIMP! :)

VS

This seems rather inobtrusive, but maybe not strong/large enough to be seen? Normal road signs are twice as big.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/63534647/road-platform-stop-2pcsigns.png

Fabio

mEGa

Sarlock

I think it's great... can't wait to add it to my games!

sdog

That sign is large enough. A few pixel are enough to identify a stop when one is looking for it. It doesn't have to flash with player colour.

It looks quite good now.

VS

greenling

Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Lmallet

Nice! Now the Japanese road trains will have somewhere to stop!

Sarlock

Nice job, VS.  Already added to my game :)

VS

Thanks for all the positive responses and for the whole process :) In r975!

Sooo! What next? A more city-friendly variant? No boxes to steal, lower,...?

tonu

The cargo stop is nice, very good work!, but it isn't a "cargo-type" stop (It doesn't show the cargo symbol under the stop name in the stop information window), so it doesn't receives goods if you don't put an extension or something else. Can you change that?

Fabio

Quote from: tonu on November 14, 2012, 05:10:09 PM
The cargo stop is nice, very good work!, but it isn't a "cargo-type" stop (It doesn't show the cargo symbol under the stop name in the stop information window), so it doesn't receives goods if you don't put an extension or something else. Can you change that?

Thank you for reporting, tonu.

Fixed in r1033.

VS

Got some free time - painted some boxes... Which do you like better? Smaller/bigger, uniform/coloured etc.

I may have some plans with these... ;)

Raiser

Quote from: VS on December 30, 2012, 06:48:37 PM
Which do you like better? Smaller/bigger, uniform/coloured etc.

Hi VS - Very nice! I like the coloured more.

Sarlock

Very nice, VS... I definitely like the second one more.  :)

IgorEliezer

Quote from: VS on December 30, 2012, 06:48:37 PM
*VS's boxy platforms*
This made me remember a very old extension request (or random idea?) by which we suggested that platforms could display less or more passengers according to how crowded or empty it would be. For example, if the platform has no passenger waiting, the game would display an empty platform; if full, a "packed" platform would be displayed.

mEGa

I prefer various style (second picture); more realistic imho.

greenling

(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)

VS

Some fun with lights. If built next to each other, they will tile (for lack of better term). But it looks like a forest of lamps :(

Anyway, do you think a "bit" like this would be useful only with crates? I may add the lamps to plain tile instead, at decreased frequency...

PS: I want it to rotate well on its own and be timeless, hence rather conservative approach to what could be there.

Sarlock

Cool idea.  A bit too crowded with the lamps, however.  Perhaps just two lamps (bottom two (south and east one)?) per tile instead of four?

greenling

Yes the lamps make a little problem.

mEGa

To feed discussion about lamp.
I mean  it's better if they are two placed only in line on middle of platform.   

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Sarlock on January 06, 2013, 12:37:05 AM
A bit too crowded with the lamps, however.  Perhaps just two lamps (bottom two (south and east one)?) per tile instead of four?
Agreed. :)