News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

v112.0 r6077 Win pak128 - factory with enough supply not supplying train yard

Started by Truthlighting, November 24, 2012, 02:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truthlighting

Screenshot found here.

This behavior also appears in the latest stable release. This train-refinery configuration is not new and has been working well for years; apparently until I connected it with the power station, which is 8 months old.

Please reference this savegame.

You will notice that the trains transporting gasoline arrive at Newport Refinery Yard, only to wait for the gasoline, because the yard is empty. However, upon further inspection, there is enough supply in the refinery for the train yard.

Interestingly, the power to the refinery stops being accepted by it; apparently at the same moment that the gasoline stops being provided to the train yard, though there is clearly enough power generated and provided. In the refinery's chart, the demand for power does not wane, though it stops being accepted.

After a period of time, the refinery suddenly provides the yard with gasoline, it resumes electricity acceptance, and trains start moving again. This is cyclical. Fast forward in the game to see what I mean.

I also want to make an unrelated suggestion. Create a wiki and have the in-game help access the wiki. The information in the pdfs should then be migrated to the wiki and then the pdfs should be removed. Perhaps there could be a pdf generator on the wiki site for those who are playing offline. There are too many places for documentation and, most of the time, information that is found in one source cannot be found in another. Sometimes the sources outright conflict or obfuscate when compared. The "multiple places" of which I speak are the wiki, the pdf, and the in-game help. I doubt that you have the time needed to properly update one source of documentation, much less three separate sources. I think the documentation would be more complete if there was only one authoritative source. The wiki is the logical answer because then the community can also assist with it.

This game is wonderful. Thank you for your assistance.

TurfIt

I see nothing wrong. The gas station is overflowing with gasoline - 350 in stock, 127 capacity. The refinery stops sending when the destination is full. All of the refineries output stores are also >75% filled, so it stops accepting electricity.

Truthlighting

Thank you for pointing that out. I should have seen that as for the reason things were stopping.

That said, the refinery isn't full, and the refinery's chart is not reflecting the electricity situation. Either 1) the refinery's chart should indicate that it is no longer demanding power, or 2) power should continue to be demanded until the refinery is full.

I can see it possible for a story to be created to explain why the power would cease. Other than a story, there should be no reason why power ceases to the factory. At the very least, it's certainly not intuitive and clear as to what is going on with that and/or why it's doing what it's doing.

If there is a story, what is it? And then can this be reflected in the game somewhere e.g. the lightning bolt turns yellow or orange or something (in addition to the chart reflecting the lesser demand)?

Dwachs

Quote from: Truthlighting on November 24, 2012, 03:21:19 PM
If there is a story, what is it? And then can this be reflected in the game somewhere e.g. the lightning bolt turns yellow or orange or something (in addition to the chart reflecting the lesser demand)?
It has nothing to do with electricity.

The Gas station, which is the only consumer of the refineries goods, is full. So the refinery stops sending new cargo to the gas station.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Truthlighting

Quote from: Dwachs on November 24, 2012, 03:26:38 PM
It has nothing to do with electricity.

The Gas station, which is the only consumer of the refineries goods, is full. So the refinery stops sending new cargo to the gas station.

I think you are missing my point.

As I said before, it is now clear to me that the gas station no longer accepts the refinery's goods. It is also clear to me that the trains at the refinery are going to stop sending cargo.

I am referring to a separate issue at this point: electricity demand and accurate in-game indicators that reflect this. At the very least, the refinery's electricity demand chart does not change and should. Please see my previous post for further information.

Also, I am a little sad to see that the gas station does not increase its gas dispensing as a result of electricity.

Dwachs

Sorry, I did read your post with too less care.

The demand-curve is rather is meant as a reference curve: it shows the maximum possible power consumption. Actual power consumption is shown in usage/output.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Truthlighting

Quote from: Dwachs on November 24, 2012, 04:50:04 PM
The demand-curve is rather is meant as a reference curve: it shows the maximum possible power consumption. Actual power consumption is shown in usage/output.

Ok this makes sense. Perhaps you could change the wording in the chart key to say something like "Max Demand?"

It would also be useful to have a actual Demand chart for this instance illustrated in the saved game, and possibly others. This would indicate where the actual power output differs from demand and where demand falls off (and doesn't differ from actual power consumption). This will also illustrate where Max Demand would be different from actual Demand.

At the very least, having the chart wording say "Demand" in the current state is misleading at best.