The International Simutrans Forum

Author Topic: Scaling back servers  (Read 3906 times)

Offline Ashley

• Coder/Patcher
  • Devotee
    • entropy.me.uk
Scaling back servers
« on: February 06, 2013, 01:00:47 PM »
I'm probably going to have to scale back the number of game servers I run as I'd like to move to a less expensive VPS provider to cut costs. I'll try to keep at least one pak64 and one pak128 one up though.

Offline benjad

Re: Scaling back servers
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 04:46:51 AM »
:(

When... and can you tell us details of how you currently have it set up.  Want to learn about it. 

Offline kierongreen

• Dev Team, Coder/patcher
  • Devotee
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 08:01:05 AM »
Costs can be shared as for the main simutrans server, I'd chip in a bit each month even though I don't use them myself :)

Offline Isaac.Eiland-Hall us

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • PanamaCityPC.com/support/
    • Facebook Profile
  • Languages: EN
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 03:31:14 PM »
Are things stable enough such that the server doesn't crash? If so, perhaps we could run a couple or so on "my" server - it is, after all, also the Simutrans community server.

Offline paco_m

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 03:39:57 PM »
Are things stable enough such that the server doesn't crash? If so, perhaps we could run a couple or so on "my" server - it is, after all, also the Simutrans community server.
The game might crash but even that is rare, normally only the clients are crashing xD - I never had a server crash because of simutrans running...

Offline Ashley

• Coder/Patcher
  • Devotee
    • entropy.me.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 07:46:09 PM »
I'd definitely encourage others to run their own game servers. It's really not that difficult to do and has a very small CPU and memory footprint these days. I worry that people have kind of come to rely upon me to run "official" servers which wasn't my intent. I don't have an awful lot of time to actually maintain the games which I think has led to a lot of frustration for players.

Offline Fifty

• Languages: EN, ES
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 03:52:11 AM »
Please let me know if I can be of any assistance when it comes to administration, etc. of community servers to take some burden off of the server operators (whether Timothy, Issac, or others).

And thank you, Timothy for hosting free servers for us netgamers! You've provided many hours of fun :)

Offline jamespetts gb

• Simutrans-Extended project coordinator
  • Devotee
  • Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 04:50:57 PM »
On the question of stability - Experimental has never, to my knowledge, crashed my server itself, although the game itself sometimes crashes. I can't imagine that Standard would be any less stable.

Offline Lmallet

• Devotee
  • 128 on the brain...
  • Languages: FR, EN
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 08:12:32 PM »
For those who have been running servers, how is your experience bandwidth-wise?  I have been thinking of building a home server for a while, and might consider having a Simutrans server running on it as well.  I am currently running on DSL 6/1 with a 75GB cap which i suspect is not enough, but my ISP is offering cable and there are rumors of better packages coming.

Offline paco_m

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 09:16:24 PM »
For the server the most important thing is the upload rate and this is a problem with most personal/home internet connections - even if you have a "fast" connection which always means fast download rate, the upload might be low and unstable.

Offline jamespetts gb

• Simutrans-Extended project coordinator
  • Devotee
  • Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 11:44:43 PM »
I don't really recommend hosting this at home unless you have a datacentre in your spare room.