The International Simutrans Forum

Author Topic: [0.9.1 & simutrans 11.10] Max axle load problems for road ?  (Read 1687 times)

Robert57

Hi everyone,

I am a quite new player of Simutrans (though I played OpenTTD a bit) and I'd like to thank all the community working on it. Cheers!
I played with Simutrans standard for a few hours and decided to try Simutrans-Experimental because I liked the description of the new features.

For information, I am playing with a 11.10 version of simutrans experimental (the last one compiled for linux 64bit I could find and labelled 2013-09-02-70edf9d, I'd love to see a newer one someday) and Pak128.Britain-Ex-0.9.1 (so the last one).

I am having troubles with Max axle load restrictions (I know I can deactivate this function or mitigate it through simutab.conf but that's not the point) :
There is a series of trailers introduced in January 1978 having an axle load of 15t (the "Standard Artic Trailer" for bulk goods, bulk fluids [petrol] and long goods) but I can't find a road to put drive on, even in 2900... The strongest road I can get are the Asphalt Road and Motorway with a 14t allowance.

Is this a problem with the pakset, with my version of Simutrans-exp or did I miss something?

And just a quick other question :
Why can the DAF CF Artic truck be attached to standard trailers only and the DAF XF Artic attached only to large trailers?
I must admit I have some troubles in determining (without directly trying) which truck can haul which trailer. Is there a way to see that in game without buying the truck to see which trailer can match?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 06:57:04 AM by Robert57 »

Offline jamespetts gb

• Simutrans-Extended project coordinator
  • Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
  • Languages: EN
Re: [0.9.1 & simutrans 11.10] Max axle load problems for road ?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 10:46:32 AM »
Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums. Firstly, apologies that the Linux automatic builds are not working: I am not quite sure why the maintainer has not fixed them since last year. However, it is not too hard to compile Simutrans yourself on Linux - you just need to check out the Git repository (go to the directory where you want Simutrans, git init, git clone https://github.com/jamespetts/simutrans-experimental.git) and compile it with the "make", then find the executable in /builds/default and copy it over your existing executable; you might need to install libbz2-devel and libzip-dev before compiling it.

As to the 15t/14t issue - thank you for spotting that. The concrete road actually has a maximum axle load of 16t, but that becomes unavailable in the early 1990s. I have now reduced the maximum axle load of the standard articulated trailers to 14t. Until I release the next version, the large articulated trailers, with an extra axle, have an axle load of 14t, and should work for you.

I am not quite sure why the particular combinations of cab and trailer were chosen, as I did not produce the later era lorries; but you should not worry about purchasing something to test it: vehicles in Simutrans are bought on approval in that if they are sold again having never left the depot within the same month as they are bought, one can get a full refund.

Robert57

Re: [0.9.1 & simutrans 11.10] Max axle load problems for road ?
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 12:16:28 PM »
Thank you James for these clear answers.