The International Simutrans Forum

Author Topic: 1870-1890's carriages lack class definitions  (Read 4449 times)

Offline jamespetts gb

• Simutrans-Extended project coordinator
  • Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
  • Languages: EN
Re: 1870-1890's carriages lack class definitions
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2019, 09:55:07 AM »
My apologies for the errant commit: I spotted a commit when looking into this from some time ago that looked as though it ought to have been merged, but I must have corrected this manually in the past.

Offline Spenk009

« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2019, 03:35:13 PM »
I also note that there is a commit with a commit message, "Update on 1870s LBSCR carriages, with two additional carriages made available", but the only thing in that commit is a removal of all the constraints on one of the LBSCR 6 wheel carriages. I presume that this was not intended? May I ask what was intended here?
I thought I had made a large set of changes, but became very confused within the command line interface in git, so I believe I ended up resetting everything before committing. The changes I made were brought together over several weekends, so I'm uncertain as to what I was really doing.

as there was no distinction between suburban and long distance carriages in the 1860s
I misinterpreted the post by basilicafields. I thought that Stroudley's suburban carriages would be different to the standard carriages in use.

I may be assuming too much Git competency here
I'm not very good with these things. For a while I believed I had understood github's system, but this is proving very wrong indeed. I'll try to learn correct handling, making contributions when I notice issues I could fix.

Offline jamespetts gb

• Simutrans-Extended project coordinator
  • Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
  • Languages: EN
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2019, 10:56:23 PM »
Thank you very much for your work on this - don't get discouraged at some initial problems. For reference, the normal command line workflow for Git (assuming that you are not changing branches) is:

(1) make changes to the files;
(2) [only if any new files have been added] "git add --all" to add new files to the staged commit;
(3) "git commit -a" to commit all your changes to your local repository;
(4) type out the Git commit message in the text editor and then CTRL+W to save and CTRL+X to exit; and
(5) "git push origin master" (or substitute "master" for the name of the branch if you are working on a branch other than the master branch) to push your changes to the remote repository.

To merge in changes to your local repository from the remote repository (you do not need to do this with changes pushed from your local repository to the remote repository), just type "git pull origin master" (or substitute "master" for the name of the branch if you want to merge in changes from a branch other than the master branch).

You may need to tidy up your repository a little with some slightly more sophisticated techniques that even I would need to look up now that there are some issues with it, but, once you have done that, the workflow is very straightforward.

As to the suburban carriages - Stroudley's suburban carriages were indeed different to the others; but these came in in the 1870s, not the 1860s. Craven was Stroudley's predecessor, and his carriages (from the 1850s and 1860s) had no distinction between suburban and long-distance. Does this clarify matters?

I hope that this assists.

Offline Vladki cz

• Devotee
    • My addons, mostly roadsigns
  • Languages: EN, CS
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2019, 08:55:42 PM »
LBSCR 6-wheelers seem to be fixed by the 22 April 2019,commit
There is similar rendering issue with LSWR 6-wheel mail as reported here https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php/topic,18822.0.html