The International Simutrans Forum

Author Topic: Road Line Builder Tool  (Read 442 times)

Offline robp94

• Languages: DE, EN
Road Line Builder Tool
« on: January 06, 2019, 05:00:19 PM »
Hi

It has always taken me too long to create many simple bus lines (and in my opinion, it's pretty boring in the long run).
That's why I've created a dialog tool, which can / should do much of the work.

Here is a simple gif which demonstrate the tool
https://media.giphy.com/media/9M1zJdDtWk8CCV0pDY/source.gif

In short:
  • you mark your desired line with all border points (start/end/curves)
  • and the tool places stations in between and creates a line with the stations
In addition, you can determine the name of the line and, if desired, let a counter be added to the name.

Possible todos:
  • place stations underground or at bridges; use a path search or something like that, at the moment it just takes the road on the ground
  • let user select station building, at the moment it is random like the ai would build it
  • make it smarter; note already existing stations ...

That was my first time programming with c++ so the code could probably be better :).
Suggestions for implementing the todos are welcome or if you have other ideas.

Try it under windows https://simutrans-germany.com/patches/download.php?file=sim.zip
and add for example this line to the menuconf.tab of the pakset, then you can open the tool with 'i'
dialog_tool[32]=,i

Let me know what you think.

Offline prissi

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Languages: De,EN,JP
Re: Road Line Builder Tool
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 05:43:15 AM »
AT least in my simutrans games, I never have neat roads like this. I usually work with the roads I get from the city AI. I am not sure you tool can do a good job there as well. Because sometimes it is much better to skip a place or use a double stop to connect a single extra tile.

Offline Ters

• Coder/patcher
  • Devotee
  • Languages: EN, NO
Re: Road Line Builder Tool
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 06:40:04 AM »
Yes, my problem with building bus lines is dealing with the chaotic street networks generated. Stuff like figuring out which streets are best to use to get best coverage without too much overlapping, how to space and adapt the stops (like putting the mail stop into a side street) when intersections ruin the ideal spacing, and when and how I really need to reshape the streets. (Sometimes I do reshape streets even when not building bus stops because the game has been too keen on building intersections, since intersections right next to each other is bad for through traffic as well, and looks silly.)

The average distance between intersections is in my experience around two tiles, whereas the example looks like it has more like four tiles. Building bus lines with a regular street distance of four would be a dream even without the tool!