News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Making Graphics

Started by Maragil, July 26, 2009, 07:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maragil

J.Petts has given me some .blend files, however I have no idea whatsoever on how to do the job he has requested me to do(2 door Leyland National) . Please tell me how you make graphics?

H./

vilvoh

The blend file extension must be opened with Blender, a 3D modeling software, thus the first step must be install Blender in your PC... :)

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Maragil

:p - I already had that, I'm just a bit etchy on my Blender skills :D

H./

jamespetts

In very simple terms, what you need to do is this:

1. Open the .blend file in Blender. Save the file to a different file name so that you can work on it without changing the original.

2. Modify the model in the .blend file to look like the different 'bus that you're trying to make. Use pictures on the internet to see what it really looks like. Use the F12 button to give a preview render of what it will look like when it is finished.

3. Once you have created your .blend file, press F12 to render it again. Then save that render by pressing F3, and saving it as a .png file.

4. You will need to create 8 of those .png files (for vehicles: 4 for buildings), one for each of 8 cardinal and ordinal rotations. Do so by rotating the model in Blender then re-rendering and re-saving it. Here's how:
(a) Press R to activate the rotate mode, then immediately (without moving the mouse in between), press Z to confine the rotation to the Z-axis. You will see the degrees of rotation in the lower left hand corner of the 3d window.
(b) Move the mouse or use the sideways ( -> and <-) arrow keys to rotate the model. When the model is within .5 degrees of 45 degrees (or -45 if you want to rotate backwards: it does not matter provided that it is consistent), click the left mouse button to stop rotating.
(c) Then, press F12 to render again, and F3 to save again. Repeat until you have all 8 rotations.

5. You will now have 8 different .png files all against black backgrounds. You will need to put them all into one single .png file in exactly the correct alignment, against one very specific colour of light blue background. The easiest way of doing that is to re-use an existing file that is already set up:
(a) Get the .png file of the vehicle that you are modifying from the Pak128.Britain SVN (the one for the Leyland National is attached), and save as a new file name.
(b) Using the GIMP's magic wand tool, select the object itself, but mask out the black background.
(c) Copy and paste that selection into the image that you created in step (a).
(d) Align it over the existing picture of the vehicle in the same rotation. If any of the old vehicle shows through after aligning it, carefully paint out the overhanging pixels of the old picture in the exact same blue colour (use the eye-dropper to select) as the background.
(e) Repeat for all 8 rotations.

6. You now have the graphic for your new vehicle. Make a .dat file to go with it by copying and modifying the existing .dat file for the vehicle from which your vehicle is modified as appropriate.

I hope that this is helpful :-)
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Maragil

Ok, thanks for that,but how (what kind of process do I use) to make the extra doors? Do I use a Cube or a Plane?

H./

kierongreen

It's better to divide up the existing surface and colour in individual faces to create a door. That way it's easier to follow the contours of the vehicle.