News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Powerlines in network games

Started by TurfIt, September 12, 2010, 07:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurfIt

I had originally intended to extend my powerline network stabilization patch to remove the 1 transformer per factory restriction; Patch started but not to testable state yet. After seeing the mess that became of powerlines in pak.german Network game 1, I don't think this is a good idea. Thoughts?

To clean up in game1, the public service player had to step in and create interconnecting points so the many runs of parallel lines could be removed. To remove this burden from the game admin, the powerline connecting logic could allow for a player to connect to another players lines, not just to the public service lines. This is similar to how roads work now - you can build beside another players road and manually connect if you want - no automatic merging. I realize this would require a rather extensive rewrite of the entire leitung class - I would expect making leitung_t derive from weg_t like the rest of the waytypes. Comments?

prissi

leitung_t was derived from way before, but this was not a good idea concerning drawing order and many things more.

I am not yet convinced that stealing power from a player is per default. But if this is required, the changes needed to wayfinder are rather small.

TurfIt

Quote from: prissi on September 12, 2010, 08:16:34 PM
leitung_t was derived from way before, but this was not a good idea concerning drawing order and many things more.

OK. I hadn't investigated this too deeply; Just seemed strange having leitung off by itself.

Quote from: prissi on September 12, 2010, 08:16:34 PM
I am not yet convinced that stealing power from a player is per default.

I'm not understanding this statement "per default."

The experience with pak.german network game1 shows that every player seems to want to connect power to their factories even if there is insufficient power to go around. i.e. By default electricity_promille is 330 so only 1/3 of factories can receive full power. Further since one power plant can supply many factories, I expect a public service transformer at the plant is required. Else the first player to place a transformer receives a power monopoly. Once public service is involved, players can make a huge mess of private powerlines everywhere; The reason real life has resulted in public power utility monopolies in each geographic area...

prissi

Or the player has to connect to another power plant. (Honestly, I am surprised that so many player delved into industry games. I find them rather boring ... )

That is the compeptive element of the game. I feel that there is some more time needed to find out about that.