The International Simutrans Forum

Author Topic: Great Britain simulation in Simutrans Experimental  (Read 241439 times)

Offline SouthernTransport225

• Languages: EN
[QUESTION] Great Britain simulation in Simutrans Experimental
« Reply #840 on: May 12, 2018, 10:29:54 AM »
Carl, has the passenger generation been fixed?

Offline Carl

• Devotee
    • Website
Re: Great Britain simulation in Simutrans Experimental
« Reply #841 on: May 12, 2018, 01:02:20 PM »
I think it was fine anyway - as I said, I ran the game for a full month and passenger numbers were at the expected level.

« Reply #842 on: May 13, 2018, 11:37:02 AM »
Kk

Offline Carl

• Devotee
    • Website
[Update] Great Britain simulation in Simutrans Experimental
« Reply #843 on: June 17, 2018, 07:34:52 PM »
Further updates in Wiltshire and Somerset today, including some new GWR liveries for DMUs. I said before that I was hoping to add in all the new timetables after May. But as you may have heard, the timetable change hasn't been going so well. I will need to wait until the various emergency timetables stop before I know what to exactly to implement in this simulation!

The savegame and pak folder can be downloaded here. As ever, the legacy Simutrans Experimental exe is required.

This screenshot shows Frome (left), Warminster (bottom), and Westbury (right). At Westbury, the line from Bristol to Salisbury intersects with the line from London to Taunton and Exeter. Westbury and Frome also have avoiding lines which fast trains use - most GWR express trains don't stop at these stations. Dilton Marsh station, south of Westbury, causes unique problems on this map. It's only served by occasional ad hoc services and not by any 'clockface' trains. To get around this, and to make sure the station gets some kind of service, I have a couple of the GWR services that terminate at Westbury go slightly further and reverse at Dilton Marsh. Since lots of these trains run south of the station to reverse anyway in real life, this isn't too much of a stretch.

This screenshot shows a GWR Class 166 Turbo in service between Westbury and Gloucester. These trains have recently moved west - they used to be used for London area suburban services but have now been displaced by electrification.

Full list of changes:

- Trains: GWR liveries for Class 150 and 158 trains have been added. Class 166 trains are now in service on some routes in the South West to reflect changes in real life - more to come later.

- Rail network: improved the rail alignment around Bradford-on-Avon, Westbury, and Frome

- Towns added or rebuilt: Bradford-on-Avon, Trowbridge, Melksham, Devizes, Frome, Westbury, Warminster, Shaftesbury. Plus a few villages throughout this area

- Bus routes added: Bath Local, Bath-Devizes, Bath-Frome, Bath-Warminster, Gillingham-Shaftesbury
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 02:59:37 PM by Carl »

Offline Carl

• Devotee
    • Website
[Bristol update] Great Britain simulation in Simutrans Experimental
« Reply #844 on: July 14, 2018, 09:37:56 AM »
I have a large update to share today! Most of the work has been in rebuilding the Bristol area. This is the first core city that I've got to in my 'second pass' of this map - it was a lot of work to build but I'm happy with how it turned out. There are also quite a lot of significant towns without rail connections in this corner of the world, so this part of the map is now much denser than it was before. Weymouth and Yeovil were also rebuilt since the last update.

The savegame and pak folder can be downloaded here. As ever, the legacy Simutrans Experimental exe is required.

The first screenshot shows the wider Bristol area, including South Gloucestershire, Bath, and parts of North Somerset and North East Somerset. If you squint (or click here for the full-size version) you might be able to spot the Port of Bristol, the airport, the M4 and M5, Cribbs Causeway, and the disused Filton Aerodrome.

The second screenshot shows Bristol Parkway and Filton Junction, where the line from London to South Wales divides and heads south into Bristol. Two services from Cardiff to Portsmouth are passing in the north/south direction.

Full list of changes
Cities & towns added or rebuilt: Bristol, Yeovil, Dorchester, Weymouth & Portland, Midsomer Norton, Shepton Mallet, Wells, Street, Glastonbury, Wincanton, Sherborne, Keynsham, Portishead, Thornbury, Clevedon

Bus routes added:  Bath-Wells, Street-Wincanton, Yeovil-Shepton Mallet, Yeovil Local, Sherborne-Wincanton, Weymouth-Portland, Bristol local, Bristol-Yate, Bristol-Portishead, Bristol-Glastonbury/Street, Bristol-Thornbury, Bristol-Clevedon

Road/rail changes: More GWR Turbos added to routes around Bristol; Both Severn bridges rebuilt

What's next?
I'll be gradually heading south west towards Devon & Cornwall. I'm still keeping an eye on the Thameslink situation... I don't really want to make large timetable changes if they are all going to change again soon anyway. The new interim timetable that launches tomorrow might make it worthwhile to finally add Thameslink changes to the map.

Offline passengerpigeon

• Languages: EN, ES, FR
« Reply #845 on: July 18, 2018, 03:22:55 AM »
Dear Carl,
Where did you get the elevated way and gap-filling track addons? Are they from the Japanese site or did you draw them yourself? I am planning to draw elevated ways and better tracks/roads for my own addon (https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=17316.0) and have been trying to find images to use as an alignment template.
Thank you,
Passengerpigeon.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 04:52:24 AM by passengerpigeon »

Offline Carl

• Devotee
    • Website
« Reply #846 on: July 18, 2018, 06:23:38 PM »
Hi there,
The elevated rail and road are adapted from other people's addons (although the rail one is, I think, far enough removed to be considered my own work).

The double tracks are my own work and are available here: https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php/topic,12225.0.html

Let me know if you need any of the related files.

Offline passengerpigeon

• Languages: EN, ES, FR
« Reply #847 on: July 20, 2018, 12:19:46 AM »
Hi there,
The elevated rail and road are adapted from other people's addons (although the rail one is, I think, far enough removed to be considered my own work).

The double tracks are my own work and are available here: https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php/topic,12225.0.html

Let me know if you need any of the related files.

Dear Carl,
If you have worked on the elevated track addon, could you please send me the source files if possible? I promise not to distribute your work with my pack and will only use the image as a template to "trace" over.
Thank you,
Passengerpigeon.

[QUESTION] Great Britain simulation in Simutrans Experimental
« Reply #849 on: August 11, 2018, 06:39:06 PM »
Carl, I would like to know why is it that towns/cities cant be spawned on pak.ngb when using heightmaps on Simutrans Extended?

Offline Carl

• Devotee
    • Website
« Reply #850 on: August 12, 2018, 02:50:27 AM »
I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean. I haven't used Extended at all so can't comment on any interactions there.

It could be something in the config files? City growth is set to effectively zero.

« Reply #851 on: August 12, 2018, 04:03:40 PM »
I mean that like when you load the pakset (in Extended), you load a map (heightmap) a flat one and spawn the map and then the town/cities don't spawn.

Offline Carl

• Devotee
    • Website
« Reply #852 on: August 12, 2018, 04:07:18 PM »
Ok, I think I understand. Pak.ngb isn't a maintained pakset (but rather just  the means to run a particular map), so I can't really bugfix its interaction with Extended - also, it hasn't been used with Extended at all so there are bound to be some errors. You could ask someone who knows about Extended what the cause might be, though again they may be reluctant to bugfix an interaction with a pakset not designed for Extended.

Also, I'm out of the country for 4 of the next 5 weeks, so it'll be a while till I can load up Simutrans at all :)

« Reply #853 on: August 13, 2018, 01:14:55 PM »
Ah ok