News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Toolbar dropdowns, and rearranging toolbars

Started by Isaac Eiland-Hall, March 03, 2012, 12:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Request: Rearranging tools in toolbars, Simutrans remembering changes; also, sub-toolbars (or "dropdown" menus)

1. Allow for rearranging of toolbar icons by users and remember those changes. Have a button or command that puts Simutrans into "toolbar rearrangement mode". Then drag toolbar icons to rearrange them.

2. On-the-fly creation of new toolbars. This would allow me to create a "favorites" toolbar

3. Not just dragging tools around, but also click-hold or right-click to get the ability to "copy" and "paste" them from toolbar to toolbar, but also drag them from toolbar to toolbar to move them

4. An option for each toolbar for "show toolbar" vs. "dropdown" mode. Right now, toolbars are all "show toolbar". For any toolbar in "dropdown" mode, it would act as a dropdown menu - the toolbar would be show vertically or as a grid; when the user selects a tool or clicks on something other than the toolbar, the toolbar dropdown would disappear.

Thus, a user could make all the default toolbar buttons into dropdowns and have easy access to everything without a bunch of toolbars on the screen. Or make some drop down and some show.

I, for one, would copy my favorite tools into a new toolbar, and make the rest all drop-down as I need them rarely.

Does this make sense? Let me know where not and I'll explain more. :)

Markohs

prissi

Since teh toolbars are anyway built dynamically, this is fairly simple. The problem is rather the user interface; espcially think of a novice, who actually dragged by chance with the right mouse button something important (i.e. the depot) to another toolbar ...

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Prissi: That's why I was thinking of having to enable a "rearrange toolbar" *mode*, perhaps by an unusual keypress or option someplace. :) Not allowing dragging without being in the toolbar-arrangement mode. Like Microsoft Word used to be - you could "Customize Toolbars". :)